Author Topic: Going from Aculink Bridge to Meteobridge for my 5-1 sensor  (Read 7492 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Going from Aculink Bridge to Meteobridge for my 5-1 sensor
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 02:52:51 PM »
George, would I need to get the same console I have for the 1515?  Also, what other items do I need?  I was reading about a USB adaptor.

You can use any 5n1 compatible console with a USB port. 

I don't know about needing a USB adapter other than the cable that connects to your Windows PC (I'm pretty sure they ship with one).

You'd have to check the meteobridge docs to see if they require an adapter.  It might have to do with the particular router you choose.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:54:32 PM by nincehelser »

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2015, 05:01:53 PM »
So if I got a used console, what other hardware and software do I need?

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2015, 08:53:57 AM »
So if I got a used console, what other hardware and software do I need?

A DIR-505 router.

A simple USB hub (to do protocol conversion), such as this one from Amazon that is reported to work:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A81ISJ6/

Potentially a free ethernet port, and an ethernet patch cable if the DIR-505 doesn't come with one. (Don't remember.)

A MeteoBridge license, once the evaluation period expires.

I personally run an Acu-Link network bridge with MeteoBridge, since I already had it.  I also have a 1035 console that I have run with MeteoHUB on a Raspberry Pi for a few days as an evaluation, and it worked without a hitch.  Because of Acu-Rite's ongoing problems with MBW that also cause MeteoBridge to lose data at times, I purchased the above USB hub with the intention of switching my MeteoBridge to use the 1035 console instead of the Acu-Link network bridge.  I have not gotten a round tuit yet, so I don't have 100% confirmation that this combination works with MeteoBridge.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2015, 11:24:27 AM »
Seems like getting a compatible console, router, and meteobridge license will run me near $200. It does sound more stable though. Is the Acu-link bridge that bad?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2015, 12:08:57 PM »
I use the Bridge connected to a Meteobridge.  The Acu-link bridge seems fine to me as it seems to report 99% of the time through My Backyard Weather (some small outages) but the Meteobridge is 100% rock solid.  And yeah you are looking at 1250-200  bucks for the whole deal no matter what you do.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2015, 01:21:12 PM »
AcuRite has recently improved the reliability of the MyBackyardWeather site and it's been glitch-free now for a few weeks.  As Bushman said, the Meteobridge is very stable.  Actually, you don't even need the console display unless you want to be able to check your weather at a glance...you can see the same info on MBW or WeatherUnderground or whatever sites you send the data to.

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2015, 01:41:36 PM »
Thanks Harold. Good info. I replied to a post you made on the acurite site about the full time power to your fan. Was wondering if you had pics.

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2015, 09:00:19 AM »
Is the update rate for Aculink 15 minutes? Damn that is slow. It's hard to even see trends with that amount of time between updates to WU?  I know george had some methods of speeding it up but I don't run Linux. Any other options without purchasing more stuff?

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2015, 11:02:24 AM »
Is the update rate for Aculink 15 minutes? Damn that is slow. It's hard to even see trends with that amount of time between updates to WU?

If you use MBW to send your data to WU (either from the Acu-Link network bridge or a USB console running their free PC-Connect software), the update interval to WU is indeed 15 minutes.  MBW gets updated in near-realtime, but they only share it 4 times per hour.  I consider it a "courtesy upload" to WU more than useful station data.

The cheapest option for you would be a USB console and Kevin Keys' Windows program.  Of course, it means leaving a PC on 24/7.

I haven't looked at VIS in a while.  (They wrote the PC-Connect software for Acu-Rite.)  Did they incorporate standalone WU updating yet?????
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2015, 11:13:52 AM »
You think I should get an extra console that is usb enabled? Mine currently is not. I have an old laptop that is on all the time

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 06:58:46 AM »
I ended up purchasing the Acu-Link bridge.  Now i need to figure out how to get the updates faster than 15 minutes.  I've been reading a lot on here about Kevin Keys but what is vague is whether I still need the USB console and if his program will work on older versions of Windows like XP.  My console is not USB enabled...wish I would've gotten one back then.

It would be a good sticky to this forum to put together a list of all the possible ways to connect to the various weather websites, list of needed equipment, instructions, and links to the respective websites.  I've seen that on other forums and they are a HUGE help.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 08:35:09 AM by Inverno »