Author Topic: The Dream Machine - I  (Read 5976 times)

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
The Dream Machine - I
« on: November 23, 2011, 02:36:36 AM »
I selected the Acu-Rite VN1 as the sensors for the first version of the dream machine.  I think this will be the easiest/quickest way of getting a wireless system operating.  I'm working on getting data from the Acu-Rite VN1 (aka 5-in-1) Integrated Multi-Sensors.  The $99 kit bought from Walmart has the 5-in-1 Integrated Multi-Sensors and a 01010 Display.
I opened the display and found the receiver circuit board.  I attached a cable to the receiver outputs and found the data stream and a 'PON' signal as you can see in the attached image.  The image shows only the leading portion of the data.  
When PON goes high, the data stream has a signal burst then the preamble code followed by the data.  To get data into a host PC, all that is needed is the Acu-Rite 01010/5-in-1 sensors and a $30 Arduino microcomputer.  The Arduino connects to the host PC via USB.
I have the data stream decoded, just have to write the Arduino sketch to provide the data to the PC.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 08:12:19 AM by wxtech »
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

anything