Author Topic: Skins directory and HTML generation  (Read 2674 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Skins directory and HTML generation
« on: October 25, 2015, 04:27:48 PM »
I installed weewx on my SuSE Linux box just to play around with it. The users guide has a few conflicts with how SuSE is set up. The installation on SuSE created a /home/weewx directory with archive and public_html directories. I could see the database updating in the archive directory, but no joy in the public_html for the generated files.

After reading (and re-reading) the configuration file, I found that the "skins" directory is set to be a sub-directory of the weewx root. The actual skins directory was located in /etc/weewx/skins with no "skins" in the /home/weewx one. I did a recursive copy of the entire skins directory to the /home/weewx directory, restarted weewx and boom it all works.

I just have the "simulator" running right now. I need to decide if I am going to actually use weewx yet. (I would need yet another Davis console/Envoy for it).

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline N0NB

• Amateur weather observer
  • Contributor
    • N0NB.us
Re: Skins directory and HTML generation
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 12:20:51 PM »
My installation of WeeWX is on Debian and from the .deb package.  My path configuration is the default from the package installation:

# Root directory of the weewx data file hierarchy for this station.
WEEWX_ROOT = /

[StdReport]
    # This section specifies what reports, using which skins, to generate.

# Where the skins reside, relative to WEEWX_ROOT:
    SKIN_ROOT = /etc/weewx/skins

# Where the generated reports should go, relative to WEEWX_ROOT:
    HTML_ROOT = /var/www/weewx

As you can see, with WEEWX_ROOT set to '/' the other variables simply specify the entire path which kind of makes WEEWX_ROOT meaningless here.  On Debian the default HTML directory is under /var/www which is at variance with other distributions.