Author Topic: Best wind reporting station??  (Read 5820 times)

Offline txdon

Best wind reporting station??
« on: March 22, 2007, 05:50:34 AM »
Hi, I need some help form the experts.  I am looking for a weather station to mainly to record wind speeds to determine the practicability of a wind generator on my hill.   The wind display should be able to graph the highs, lows, and average for each day and month and be down loadable to my computer.  Thanks for your help,  Don.

Offline WeatherBuffs.Com

• http://www.weatherbuffs.com
Re: Best wind reporting station??
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 03:47:15 PM »
Hey Don,

If your going to be doing wind farming you NEED a Davis VantagePro2.  Price varies depending on which model you need, but you could pick up a complete unit with software for about $500-600.  Of course if you have about 5k to spend you could get yourself an Ultrasonic weather station like the Columbia Orion LX501...  Those are your two options since all the other stations like LaCrosse, Honeywell, Ore Sci take wind averages over long periods of time (between 33-128 seconds depending on models) which causes reporting of true wind readings to show 20-30% or more less than actual.  Davis updates wind every 2.5 seconds and you can even get the anemometer NIST certified to ensure precise measurements.  Hope this helps narrow your choice!

-Antonio A
WeatherBuffs.Com
www.WeatherBuffs.Com - The Most Trusted Name in Weather & Time.  Factory Authorized Direct Retailers for Davis Instruments, Columbia Weather Systems, Oregon Scientific, LaCrosse Technology, Honeywell Weather, and MANY more.

Offline txdon

Re: Best wind reporting station??
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 04:55:48 PM »
Antonio, thanks for the info, that's what I needed to know.  This won't be for a large wind farm.  I am just trying to determine if I should focus on wind or solar or a combination to hook up to net metering.  It looks like I have about a year to determine which one will work best on this hill.  I'm still waiting for the State to pass their incentive bill and for the local electric co-op to opt into it.
Thanks, Don.

anything