Author Topic: Advice on upgrade from Davis WeatherWizard iii  (Read 1735 times)

Offline bhhumphrey

Advice on upgrade from Davis WeatherWizard iii
« on: January 25, 2018, 07:44:32 AM »
First post.  I have a weatherwizard iii and the anemometer has stopped working.  Thinking about what to do next...fix the anemometer (can it be done on this older unit?) or should I just upgrade to the VP2?  Question if I upgrade, I know the sensors all need to be upgraded to digital, but is the cable that is in place useable in the VP2, or will I need to run new cables?  Background, the station is mounted with anemometer on my roof peak, and rain and temp/barometer near the eaves...about 40 feet from the peak...display mounted in my kitchen about 30-40 ft from all sensors.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 10:01:38 AM by bhhumphrey »

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: Advice on upgrade from Davis Weatherstation iii
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 08:40:46 AM »
I believe he means the Davis Weather Wizard III or the Weather Monitor II. Both are pre Vantage line cabled stations. I had a WMII.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 08:43:40 AM by SLOweather »

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 09:32:30 AM »
If it is the Wizard III that only measured velocity, not direction, I have one you can have for the price of shipping.

Mark
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline bhhumphrey

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 09:45:08 AM »
Opps, sorry I meant Weatherwizard iii....and thanks for the offer for the sensor, but mine measures velocity and direction...

Mostly interested in whether the cable needs to be re-run if I upgrade to the Vantage Pro from this older analog device.

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 09:58:27 AM »
Oops, no problem,  just looked and mine is a Wizard II.  Memory is not what it used to be. :grin:

Mark
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Advice on upgrade from Davis WeatherWizard iii
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 10:37:12 AM »
If you are talking about the anemometer cable - the old cable would not have to be replaced, but you would have to splice the new anemometer cable to the old one at the top of the installation (and probably at the bottom).

Secondly, are you contemplating a "cabled" VP2?  Or the wireless version?

Offline bhhumphrey

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 10:45:26 AM »
Thanks for that answer...I was unsure about whether to go cabled, or wireless.  But thinking if the cables were useable, that it's more reliable to have the cabled version.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 11:59:25 AM »
Thanks for that answer...I was unsure about whether to go cabled, or wireless.  But thinking if the cables were useable, that it's more reliable to have the cabled version.

Yes, both cables will be usable (both the one between the anemometer and the ISS, and the one between the ISS and the console).  However:

1.  You'll have to do some splicing, to make the right connections.  [I don't remember the characteristics/connectors of the cables between the console and your outside hardware, but I'm sure there are enough conductors]

2.  I suggest you consider using the new anemometer cable (depending on the difficulty of doing so).  You'll have to get the new anemometer up there anyway, and using the new cable avoids having to splice it.

I have owned cabled Davis units "forever", and yes, they are more reliable than the wireless units - although, of course, also more complicated to install.

Online CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 02:40:13 PM »

I have owned cabled Davis units "forever", and yes, they are more reliable than the wireless units
Certainly possible, but not my experience. My wireless VP2 has never failed to deliver the goods in the 10 years I've owned it, the wireless anemometer the same at 5, not even battery changes. Now as time passes, who knows, but the complete convenience of wireless far out weighs that poteniality to me.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 03:00:20 PM »
Certainly possible, but not my experience. My wireless VP2 has never failed to deliver the goods in the 10 years I've owned it, the wireless anemometer the same at 5, not even battery changes. Now as time passes, who knows, but the complete convenience of wireless far out weighs that poteniality to me.

It was not my intention to criticize the wireless VP2.  It's certainly more convenient to install.  And the wireless VP2 console can accept input from additional transmitters.

It's a tradeoff.  The cabled VP2 ISS does not have a Supercap, and no battery and no solar panel*.  The console doesn't have any receiver components, and is not susceptible to RF interference, nor to any possibility of having another nearby VP2 on the same transmitter ID.   

*If fan aspiration is desired, running wires for that at the same time as original installation eliminates the need for that solar panel, too, and provides reliable 24-hour power.

BUT, if you worry about lightning, then there will be a cable running into the house.

As I said, it's a tradeoff.

Online CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 03:06:19 PM »
It was not my intention to criticize the wireless VP2.
Never thought it was. Merely giving the OP some additional facts and opinions for a more educated decision, and you just brought up more yourself.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 03:44:46 PM »
It's a tradeoff.  The cabled VP2 ISS does not have a Supercap, and no battery and no solar panel*.  The console doesn't have any receiver components, and is not susceptible to RF interference...

I'm in the camp that thinks wireless is at least as useful and reliable as cabled (provided someone is prepared to change the battery within 2-4 weeks of a low battery warning showing up).

I'm not sure that cabled isn't just as sensitive to RF interference as wireless, it's just rather different in character as a result of that long unshielded antenna that connects cabled ISS to console. And you also have the problem with a cabled set-up that  you have an anemometer (hopefully) high in the air) with a continuous conducting path through to a PC and potentially other equipment. That exposure to differences in 'earth' potential can cause some real spurious readings, especially when thunderstorms are around. I guess it's an issue akin to ground loops and an effect that you hardly ever see with wireless.

And, of course, no supplementary transmitters are possible with a cabled station.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 03:46:28 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 04:44:38 PM »
.... have a weatherwizard iii and the anemometer has stopped working.  Thinking about what to do next...fix the anemometer (can it be done on this older unit?)

What about a new 7911 anemometer on it?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 04:58:25 PM »
It's a tradeoff.  The cabled VP2 ISS does not have a Supercap, and no battery and no solar panel*.  The console doesn't have any receiver components, and is not susceptible to RF interference...
I'm not sure that cabled isn't just as sensitive to RF interference as wireless, it's just rather different in character as a result of that long unshielded antenna that connects cabled ISS to console.

Arguing a "fine point" -- the cabled VP2 certainly isn't susceptible to interference from other nearby VP2 stations on the same "transmitter ID".

But, as we agree, it's a tradeoff.  And the bhhumphrey already has a cabled station.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 05:01:44 PM »
.... have a weatherwizard iii and the anemometer has stopped working.  Thinking about what to do next...fix the anemometer (can it be done on this older unit?)

What about a new 7911 anemometer on it?

That would certainly work, for $145.00