Author Topic: DIY "GREEN DOT" Data Logger  (Read 94309 times)

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
Re: DIY "GREEN DOT" Data Logger
« Reply #225 on: October 15, 2015, 05:56:09 PM »
Yes you need an arduino that is running on 3.3v.

I couldn't find anything in the DS to support that. I might have missed it, or it indeed works with 5V I/O and something else is the issue. Should that be the case, a simple resisor divider to drop the voltage from 5V to 3.3V should be able to make it work from the Arduino to the part. In the other direction, 3.3V should trigger the 5V ATMega inputs to HI just fine.

Offline andre58

« Reply #226 on: October 20, 2015, 01:06:45 PM »
Kobuki, thanks for your reply and usefull information.
I do intent to write my own interpreter and this program will only run on one PC or Mac at the same time,
and that's the one I'm using at that time, so it's not a problem if it can't transmit to multiple computers.

The ESP8266 module I use is loaded with this firmware.
I've used it succesfull with several other projects and it should be able to work for this project too.
I've attached the schematic and a picture of the PCB (without the AT45DB011 unfortunately).

Today I made another programming shield for this chip and used a CD4050 as a buffer between the 3V3 AT chip and the 5V Arduino ports, but still no succes in reading or writing the chip, so I'm not sure about what to try next. Any help on this is more than welcome.
Picture of the shield is also attached.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #227 on: October 20, 2015, 02:33:29 PM »
An interesting iteration of the "how to connect to the Davis console serial port" project :) You're essentially duplicating the functionality of the WLIP product, but on WiFi. I think it's a pretty good and useful approach. (Do you plan to publish the PCB design sometime in the future?)

Unfortunately I can't help with the chip programming. I've bought a USB adapter from Belfryboy (old forum member here). He even sells just the pre-programmed chip IIRC. You might even be able to work together to add a WiFi-based interface to the repertoire :)

Offline BCJKiwi

• Forecaster
    • Silver Acorn Weather - N.Z.
« Reply #228 on: October 20, 2015, 03:28:57 PM »
You may not be aware that the VP2 cavity is much shallower than the Vue cavity so the design you have may not fit the VP2. The Vue cavity is ~ 24mm deep where the VP2 cavity is ~ 14mm deep.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #229 on: October 20, 2015, 03:57:43 PM »
Yeah, it would stick out at the back, but there it's not very visible. It also can't support the Envoy like this. There are newer revisions of the ESP8266 wifi chipset that are smd-solderable modules and even have better specs (scroll down on this page, most variants can be bought online for beans). A different design might be able to accomodate them and be small enough to support all devices...

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #230 on: October 20, 2015, 08:42:17 PM »
Kobuki, thanks for your reply and usefull information.
I do intent to write my own interpreter and this program will only run on one PC or Mac at the same time,
and that's the one I'm using at that time, so it's not a problem if it can't transmit to multiple computers.

The ESP8266 module I use is loaded with this firmware.
I've used it succesfull with several other projects and it should be able to work for this project too.
I've attached the schematic and a picture of the PCB (without the AT45DB011 unfortunately).

Today I made another programming shield for this chip and used a CD4050 as a buffer between the 3V3 AT chip and the 5V Arduino ports, but still no succes in reading or writing the chip, so I'm not sure about what to try next. Any help on this is more than welcome.
Picture of the shield is also attached.

Back up a bit.  When you were running the bridge software with the ESP and the AT chip connected to the console, were you able to establish a comms link with the console?  Were you able to send messages to the console and get useful responses back?

Just asking, because if you have a newer firmware rev on the console, you won't be able to talk to the console, never mind the flash chip, unless the console itself sees a properly programmed flash chip.

Offline andre58

« Reply #231 on: October 21, 2015, 03:33:18 AM »
I have not tried to contact the console with my PCB yet because I can't get the AT chip programmed.
I tried 3 or 4 of them but without success.
For anyone who want's to have a look I've attached the schematic of my (non working) programmer.
I think it should work, but as it does not I probably made some mistake so again all advice is welcome.

Offline kwjtm

« Reply #232 on: October 21, 2015, 08:49:55 AM »
Does anyone have a copy of the Belfryboy PCB file?  Links are dead to OSH Park.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #233 on: October 21, 2015, 08:51:11 AM »
Here. --> a modified design for standard RS232

EDIT: Hmm, it's not his original. Maybe he took off his works from OSHPark after someone made and sold them en masse at online places. Too bad. Best to ask him, I guess.

It's still all up, see here. --> original Belfryboy designs
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 03:43:36 PM by kobuki »

Offline rdsman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #234 on: October 21, 2015, 10:12:59 AM »
andre58:

My first question would be can you read a fresh chip?  (Not one that you have tried to program.)

Try reading the Status Register and the Manufacturer and Device ID Information.   
Ray

Offline andre58

« Reply #235 on: October 21, 2015, 10:29:44 AM »
No, I can't read fresh chips.
Status shows nothing and Manufacturer ID returns only zero's.
I bought 5 pieces and probably ruined one trying to program it.
The other ones I only tried to read without success.

Offline rdsman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #236 on: October 21, 2015, 11:23:04 AM »
andre58:

Can we see the code that you are using to read with?

Ray

Offline andre58

« Reply #237 on: October 21, 2015, 01:00:09 PM »
Of course, it is this code that JoeBean posted in this same thread on the previous page.

Offline rdsman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #238 on: October 21, 2015, 01:39:25 PM »
andre58:

Try inserting this just above SPI.begin();

Code: [Select]
pinMode(resetPin,OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(resetPin,HIGH);
pinMode(writeProtectPin,OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(writeProtectPin,HIGH);

Ray

Offline kwjtm

« Reply #239 on: October 21, 2015, 03:31:00 PM »
Thanks.  First one under "here" appears to be the correct one.  Found and ordered the other one but it does not match up with the parts list on page 8 or 9.  Serial to USB chip has too many leads for the first board.

Appreciate the help.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #240 on: October 21, 2015, 03:42:45 PM »
Thanks.  First one under "here" appears to be the correct one.  Found and ordered the other one but it does not match up with the parts list on page 8 or 9.  Serial to USB chip has too many leads for the first board.

Here.

EDIT: Hmm, it's not his original. Maybe he took off his works from OSHPark after someone made and sold them en masse at online places. Too bad. Best to ask him, I guess.

It's still all up, see here.

You refer to this post, right? The first link is a modified design for standard RS232 line voltages (description is somewhere in this thread, can't remember the poster, sorry). The second link points to the original Belfryboy designs. Going to add comments so it's clear for later readers.

Offline andre58

« Reply #241 on: October 21, 2015, 04:01:36 PM »
andre58:

Try inserting this just above SPI.begin();

pinMode(resetPin,OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(resetPin,HIGH);
pinMode(writeProtectPin,OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(writeProtectPin,HIGH);

I've added the lines of code you suggested, compiled and uploaded the sketch,
but still no read.

Tomorrow I will check if there's any data traffic between the Arduino and the AT45 with my oscilloscope.

Offline kwjtm

« Reply #242 on: October 21, 2015, 04:08:31 PM »

Here.

It's still all up, see here.

You refer to this post, right? The first link is a modified design for standard RS232 line voltages (description is somewhere in this thread, can't remember the poster, sorry). The second link points to the original Belfryboy designs. Going to add comments so it's clear for later readers.

Was referring to the first post.  Was referencing JoeBeans instructions and parts list on Page 9.  Looking at both now it appears there is a discrepancy in the parts list versus the boards.  Not sure what board he was referencing in his post as the link is dead but he does not have any resistors in his list.  The Serial to USB chip is larger than what is on the original board and won't fit.  Will have to do some further digging.

Offline rdsman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #243 on: October 24, 2015, 12:41:35 PM »
andre58:

I compiled the code that you are using with Arduino 1.6.5.  The SPI clock is totally messed up for some reason using:

SPI.setClockDivider(SPI_CLOCK_DIV2);

I changed it to:

SPI.setClockDivider(SPI_CLOCK_DIV32);

It made a big difference!

Ray

Offline andre58

« Reply #244 on: October 27, 2015, 04:33:26 PM »
@rdsman :
Sorry for the slow response.
Thanks very much for your help in this matter.
Unfortunately changing the clockdivider did not solve my problem.
I also removed the CD4050 buffer, but that also did not help, so I'm a bit out of ideas now.
I think I will order some more AT45's from another supplier and see if I get them read or programmed.

Offline sv2bzq

• Live Weather Data From Greece
« Reply #245 on: November 07, 2015, 06:20:51 PM »
Hi ....
I recently bought a BelfryBoy logger and search for a driver installation of BelfryBoy logger and Meteobridge .
What should I do simply installed in the console of Davis and connected to Meteobridge the should I make another Regulating first .  ](*,)

George.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #246 on: November 07, 2015, 06:56:23 PM »
No drivers are needed for the logger unless you are connecting to a PC.  If you are using  Meteobridge, configure the router with Meteobridge firmware and plug the logger into the USB port of the Meteobridged router.  And start transmitting weather info!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline sv2bzq

• Live Weather Data From Greece
« Reply #247 on: November 07, 2015, 07:04:35 PM »
Ok thanks for the information .
Ι will be needed Usb Hub 2.0 between Logger and Meteobridge ?
I will try it tomorrow and let you know if everything went well.

George.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #248 on: November 07, 2015, 07:38:19 PM »
Some people have reported that you do not need a USB hub in-between the logger and the Meteobridge.  It is recommened for the Davis logger for sure; you can try it both ways.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #249 on: November 07, 2015, 07:43:29 PM »
Ι will be needed Usb Hub 2.0 between Logger and Meteobridge ?

It depends on the router model you use. See here, particularly text in red.

anything