Author Topic: Rain gauge not working  (Read 3566 times)

Offline olfenite

Rain gauge not working
« on: December 30, 2018, 11:01:41 PM »
I have an Acurite 5 in 1 pro+ weather sensor, model 06014. The rain gauge is not working. Just displays that there is no rain or a trace when I know it is much more.

Everything else is working fine. What do I do?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Rain gauge not working
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 11:10:44 PM »
First thing I would check is that the bottom of the rain collector bowl isn’t blocked by bird droppings or other debris.

After that, I would try running some water through it to see if you can hear the tipping buckets move back-and-forth.

If you don’t hear them tipping, then you’ll need to open it up and see what might be blocking their motion.  Common problems are spider webs and wasp nests.

If the buckets are moving freely, but rain still does not register, you’ll have to consider something like the reed switch might be worn out or mid-aligned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline olfenite

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 12:32:34 AM »
I'll try that out. It's a new unit; only had it for about two months. So I'm kind of expecting the worst.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 12:42:48 AM »
Oh, another thing... make sure the unit is level.   There is a bubble level up top to help with this.

Also make sure you’ve removed the plastic stick that is is inserted through one of the bottom vent slots.  It is secured by tape during shipping to prevent the rain buckets from moving.  Some have forgotten to remove the tape and stick.  Others have removed the tape, but left the stick.

Don’t confuse that stick with the plastic guard in the bottom of the rain collection bowl.  That guard is left in place to prevent debris from getting inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything