Author Topic: Webcam siting - privacy, neighbors, windows, etc.  (Read 1138 times)

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
Webcam siting - privacy, neighbors, windows, etc.
« on: November 28, 2015, 10:01:28 PM »
What's the general consensus here?  I'm just getting something set up.

There's a line somewhere between public and private that is blurred with these things.  I have my camera currently facing west in my townhome community.  To me, west is the most interesting weather direction. Inasmuch as I prefer to see the weather coming rather than going. The westerly view looks into the neighborhood though.  And while you can't make out anything in them, you can certainly see windows.  It's nothing I can't see by looking out of my own house though.

The view 180 degrees from this looks into a wooded park.  I prefer looking into the community as it also affords a view of things like snowfall accumulation.

Is there already some discussion of this?  What are everyone's thoughts? I've attached a grab of the present view.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 10:34:17 PM by SpartanWX »

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Webcam siting - privacy, neighbors, windows, etc.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 11:10:34 PM »
I definitely think this should not be a problem

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 08:32:14 AM »
There have been some prior threads on WxForum about this issue in the past. My guess is that it is distant enough and the visibility into any particular window isn't clear enough to be a problem. But, IANAL, TINLA, YMMV, etc. It might be wise to consult local and state laws in your location.

When I had my webcam up, I aimed it just above the next door neighbor's window. The next house that had a visible window was distant, similar to what you have.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 08:55:48 AM »
There are zillions of cameras recording everyone's activities everywhere you go these days. Every store you go to, gas station, office building, traffic lights, drones, news cams, Uncle Sam's satellites, etc... Also everyone is carrying a camera on their cell phone taking pictures at what ever. It amazes me how most major news events are captured and put on TV with in 24 hours. Even a random meteorite breaking up over remote Russia has at least 3 videos of the event. You are probably not aware of the hundreds of pics taken of you each day. 

So with that being said, point the camera where ever you like and at the least use common courtesy. With the population as it is, can you even mount a camera in an urban area with out having neighbor's houses in it? Ask yourself the question - would I wand a neighbors camera pointed at my house at that distance and resolution?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 08:57:35 AM by Dr Obbins »

anything