Author Topic: CoCoRaHS broadening their coverage.  (Read 8431 times)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
CoCoRaHS broadening their coverage.
« on: May 20, 2010, 04:27:38 AM »
I just sent this in the "contact us" section of the CoCoRaHS home page. I was wondering if all the county coordinators on here had any leverage and could nudge CoCoRaHS on this. Maybe with enough nagging they'll broaden their coverage.

Hello CoCoRaHS. I believe the wording on your home page inviting people to join should be adjusted to say  
" If you live in the North America continent and would like to sign-up as a volunteer observer and become part of our expanding network, please click here: "Join the CoCoRaHS Network". "

I am a U.S. citizen retired and living in Thailand. I now have a lot of time and enjoy studying the weather. I would love to join CoCoRaHS and provide rain data but understand CoCoRaHS is only interested in rainfall in North America. I feel that travelers might find it useful to have rain/precipitation data from abroad as they plan trips. Please (re)consider allowing international reports to be added. I personally know several other people in other countries that would participate as well. A worldwide database vs. limited to one continent.

Thank you and warm regards,

Dan
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:50:20 PM by DanS »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: CoCoRaHS broadening their coverage.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 07:46:52 AM »
I just sent this in the "contact us" section of the CoCoRaHS home page. I was wondering if all the county coordinators on here had any leverage and could nudge CoCoRaHS on this. Maybe with enough nagging they'll broaden there coverage.

I understand they're good at replying to emails.  I'll be interested in hearing their reply.  I think you make a valid point.  We'll back you 100%.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 07:58:52 AM »
Thanks Greg, I think it's a valid point too. I cannot see any reason why an organization like that wouldn't want to expand to include global coverage if they can get the support. I realize the international coverage would be spotty at first but possibly others will see what's happening and join in. Can't hurt anything to try. ;)

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
    • Beamsville Weather Station
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 09:22:36 AM »
I received this response from a CoCoRaHS representative when I inquired about joining:

Thank you for your email and interest in CoCoRaHS.  Right now we are not outside of the U.S.  We would like to, but currently we just don't have the funding or infrastructure to be international.  Then there is also the whole units thing we would need to discuss :-) .  Maybe in the next few years we will start expanding to neighboring countries, but right now it's not in the cards.

Ann-Marie
Beamsville, Ontario, Canada

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 09:35:36 AM »
I received this response from a CoCoRaHS representative when I inquired about joining:

Thank you for your email and interest in CoCoRaHS.  Right now we are not outside of the U.S.  We would like to, but currently we just don't have the funding or infrastructure to be international.  Then there is also the whole units thing we would need to discuss :-) .  Maybe in the next few years we will start expanding to neighboring countries, but right now it's not in the cards.

That's about what I thought they'd say.  They just now got all of the US states included.

However, they are a good source of information.  And I'll bet you can still buy one or more of the gauges.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

anything