Author Topic: Generic Davis Datalogger  (Read 26586 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Generic Davis Datalogger
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2015, 06:41:40 PM »
Power?  I doubt these are hot-pluggable devices, clone or OEM.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2015, 08:16:23 PM »
Power?  I doubt these are hot-pluggable devices, clone or OEM.

I don't know exactly what happened. My first thought was a static charge but I didn't feel, see, hear anything but noticed computer went down. Then looked at Vue console and it was dark. What every it was knocked both down. I'm going to see if I can duplicate it with just a usb cable. Could be I've got something else going on.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2015, 08:25:39 PM »
I'm not seeing anything charged and can't repeat with just a USB cable. I do know it wouldn't connect with WL and was having issues with the USB staying connected.  Yes, I'll contact Ryan and let him know my findings and what happened.
Randy

Offline TomS

« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2015, 08:57:36 AM »
I just bought one of these from Ryan, $59.  I am putting together a Meteohub on a Raspberry Pi (2) and this seemed like a good option.  I have a Vantage Pro 2, firmware 3.15.

So far, so good.  I had a little issue on the Meteohub side - unrelated to datalogger - which got fixed by me re-flashing the sd card with MeteoHub software, but it found the Vantage Pro 2 just fine, and things are cranking away without issue so far.

The only thing I don't think I can do (b/c I think it is set with Weatherlink software which I don't have), is set the datalogger interval to something other than 1 minute.  That's more for use with Cumulus - I realize MeteoHub is logging the data for itself.

Tom S.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2015, 09:18:15 AM »
You can set the archival period on your console using any Windows/Linux porgram that supports the VP2... Examples: Cumulus, WeeWx (Linux), or Belfryboy's tool for this exact purpose. You can even use a serial console and do it by hand. It's not restricted to just Davis software.

Offline TomS

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2015, 09:38:02 AM »
Thanks - good to know.

Tom

Offline LearningCurve

• Anacortes, WA, USA
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2015, 10:31:14 AM »
Our SI generic logger has been working fine since Saturday in a new VP2 firmware 3.15. I've removed/replaced it several times with no issues. Sure wish the usb connector was a few inches longer for ease of tidy wall mounting the console!

The attached photo is telling about the loggers original designer.

VP2/FARS
Meteobridge/Weatherlink/WU
KWAANACO5

RIP VP1/Envoy 2003-2014

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2015, 10:34:40 AM »
Wow, do I see it right? They even left the "Belfryboy" text on the PCB? Lazy mode Chinese supplier.

Offline LearningCurve

• Anacortes, WA, USA
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2015, 10:42:47 AM »
Yes. Wish I had had the time and $ to get one directly from Belfryboy.
VP2/FARS
Meteobridge/Weatherlink/WU
KWAANACO5

RIP VP1/Envoy 2003-2014

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2015, 10:56:02 AM »
Wow, do I see it right? They even left the "Belfryboy" text on the PCB? Lazy mode Chinese supplier.

I smell a copyright violation!  LOL
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2015, 11:19:01 AM »
He ought to be getting a piece of the action off of that!
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2015, 11:20:22 AM »
I am more than a bit surprised that a reputable vendor would stoop so low.

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2015, 11:52:04 AM »
"Wow, do I see it right? They even left the "Belfryboy" text on the PCB? Lazy mode Chinese supplier."

NOW, I owe "Belfryboy" an apology. I do apologize.

"I am more than a bit surprised that a reputable vendor would stoop so low." I am very disappointed.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
Our SI generic logger has been working fine since Saturday in a new VP2 firmware 3.15.

Maybe that's why I couldn't get the generic sent me connected. I was trying it with the Vue, not sure the firmware but its brand new. Davis data logger worked first try on Vue after trying everything with the generic.
Randy

Offline BCJKiwi

• Forecaster
    • Silver Acorn Weather - N.Z.
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2015, 04:34:21 PM »
It is not quite this simple;
You can set the archival period on your console using any Windows/Linux porgram that supports the VP2... Examples: Cumulus, WeeWx (Linux), or Belfryboy's tool for this exact purpose. You can even use a serial console and do it by hand. It's not restricted to just Davis software.
With Cumulus you can set the interval IN CUMULUS but this does not set the interval in the Console/logger (and I suspect some of the other software mentioned is the same).
Use WL or BelfryBoy's tool.
With Cumulus it is important that the Console/logger be set to the same period as Cumulus so proper 'catchup' occurs.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:58:43 PM by BCJKiwi »

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2015, 05:51:49 PM »
For those that don't remember, 'belfryboy' posted pictures right here on this board of this board with the website where you could buy the bare boards to make your own logger. So, what's the problem??
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 05:54:03 PM by moehoward4 »
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2015, 06:40:02 PM »
If it has to be explained to you, you wouldn't get it.

Offline TomS

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2015, 07:42:56 PM »
BCJKiwi-

Thanks - I will look at that tool.  I probably have to load up the FTDI USB driver and connect it directly to my PC for that to work.  I've avoided that with Meteohub, but I'll do it if I have to.

I wonder if Weewx will do it - I have the pi (linux) and another ubuntu machine handy.

Tom

Offline zac1789

« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2015, 04:49:17 AM »
Hi guys,
the products sold by Scaled Instruments are manufactured by me.
The projects are shared here https://oshpark.com/profiles/zac1789

Generic datalogger is optimized for production with Fusion PCB Seeed and manual cutting (money savings).
TH sensor, that I produce since 2012, is a unique version (v1.1 2015) which can mount the original dust filter Davis, with Sensirion SHT11 (best quality/price).

Offline zac1789

« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2015, 04:58:25 AM »

Also with VPInstall, present in wview package, we can change the memory interval.

Ubuntu/Debian command line is /usr/local/bin/vpconfig /dev/ttyUSBx setinterval 5 (or other)

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2015, 02:22:55 PM »
May I first start by thanking George Richardson for his gracious apology. I gladly accept it and apologise for my knee jerk outburst.

Hi guys,
the products sold by Scaled Instruments are manufactured by me.

You are not being very truthful with that statement. Whilst it may be true that you physically made them yourself, you used a design that was shared under a creative commons license, the terms of which can be found here http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.

It can be no coincidence that your component placement is identical to mine;

BelfryBoy Logger Clone

AnemOS logger.

The image below, taken by LearningCurve quite clearly shows the underside of my board with my QR code visible through the coating you applied. You can even read "Belf" and "2.1" at the point where the cable tie has been applied.

This may seem like a public rant, and I suppose to some degree it is, but this project was shared to assist like minded enthusiasts, not for someone else to copy and distribute without crediting others for their work.

I expect that I'll receive some comments about sour grapes, or  getting my come uppance.  Everyone knows that I sell these myself, and this would of course undersell my efforts. But I do only build these to order, so the savings Zack has made by building in bulk is reflected in this.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2015, 02:41:04 PM »
I do not see that as "sour grapes".  The license terms are clear:

Under the following terms:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.

NoDerivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.

We have not yet heard from Scaled Instruments.  I wonder if they are aware of all of the facts.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 02:43:57 PM by dalecoy »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2015, 02:51:31 PM »
Like Dale I see this as an affront to the CC license and Bellfryboy.  I wish I had BB's skills to design this in the first place as opposed to Zack's copying skills.  I also would like to know what Ryan thinks of all this, too.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2015, 03:04:52 PM »
Ryan has sent me an email explaining the situation. He was unaware that the design did not belong to the Vendor that supplied him. I genuinely believe he is an innocent party in this.

Offline zac1789

« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2015, 03:19:15 PM »
The image below, taken by LearningCurve quite clearly shows the underside of my board with my QR code visible through the coating you applied. You can even read "Belf" and "2.1" at the point where the cable tie has been applied.

Oh yes, this PCB has been sent to Scaled for test sample. I'm sorry :oops:

anything