Author Topic: WeatherLink 5.9.3 and my new Windows 7 Computer  (Read 4815 times)

Offline wdudley1

WeatherLink 5.9.3 and my new Windows 7 Computer
« on: August 18, 2011, 06:15:25 PM »

Hi folks... first off, I'm new hear as a poster, but long time lurker.  Secondly, I've searched this forum quite extensively, but not found quite the answer to my current problem.

Like quite a few others, I've been running both WeatherLink and Virtual Weather Station (VWS does my WUnderground updates) for quite a few years.  I typically get things working with WeatherLink and then use VWS for just about everything else.   This has been running on an older Windows XP based desktop.   I have a Vantage Pro 2 system and a Weather Envoy with USB data logger (connecting to a USB port on my computer).

I acquired a new Windows 7 based computer (an HP Touchscreen) a few weeks ago and decided it is time to move my weather station software to it.

All data was backed up, WeatherLink (original disk) installed, then upgraded to 5.9.3 (the latest).   And I cannot get WL to connect AT ALL. I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has any ideas -- before I submit all of this to Davis.  I've also supplied a number of screenshots attachments that will maybe illustrate what I am seeing

Note: when I plug / unplug the USB cable from the data logger, the Ports entry: "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM3)" appears and disappears.  The Silicon Labs driver version is 6.3.0.0 (01/10/2011).

Details about my computer are in the 3rd attachment.

Does anyone see anything specific in what I have provided to get past this.

WeatherLink is installed in C:\Weatherlink  as has been recommended.

Many thanks for taking a look.

-- Bill

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
Re: WeatherLink 5.9.3 and my new Windows 7 Computer
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 07:43:23 PM »
I think that if you have WL usb, try using the usb setting for comm. Select USB, then select 'Auto Detect'. DON'T select 'Serial'. Give that a try and see what happens. Use usb for VWS also, 'Davis Vantage Pro/ Pro2 (USB Interface)'. That is what works for me.    Jack
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 07:59:31 PM »
Does he need Virtual VP  or something like that to run both sets of software off USB.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 08:05:38 PM »
No, when I run both on USB, I don't need VirtualVP. As long as WeatherLink is set to USB, and VWS is set to USB, there 'should not' be a problem. The problem comes when you are running Cumulus, then you have to switch WL, and VWS to 'serial' because Cumulus has an issue with WL usb.      Jack

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 08:07:59 PM »
Learn something every day. :-)

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 01:09:58 AM »
No, when I run both on USB, I don't need VirtualVP. As long as WeatherLink is set to USB, and VWS is set to USB, there 'should not' be a problem. The problem comes when you are running Cumulus, then you have to switch WL, and VWS to 'serial' because Cumulus has an issue with WL usb.      Jack

Does Weather Display have a similar issue?

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 04:02:16 AM »
I can't offer an answer to that one, tried WD and could not 'like' it. Maybe someone else???     Jack

Offline wdudley1

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 10:19:17 AM »
I tried this (quoted, below)-- on WeatherLink 5.9.3, if USB is selected, then "Auto Detect" is not even an available option (it is grayed out).

When I DO select "USB," I receive a "warning" regarding compatibility with other 3rd party software and a Communications Error popup.

On my older XP platform, I was always using the "Serial" part and then selecting COM3, which I believe was using the USB to Serial controller.

I think that if you have WL usb, try using the usb setting for comm. Select USB, then select 'Auto Detect'. DON'T select 'Serial'. Give that a try and see what happens. Use usb for VWS also, 'Davis Vantage Pro/ Pro2 (USB Interface)'. That is what works for me.    Jack

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 04:56:37 PM »
Bill   Select 'USB' and when the pop-up comes up, select 'OK' and see what happens. Then select 'OK' when the pop up goes away.( on the communication port window)  I use both USB and serial, right now, I'm using serial because I am running VirtualVP and you have to use serial to hook up with Cumulus.   Sorry for the wrong info.....Jack