Author Topic: Questions about the 1025/1035 models  (Read 2865 times)

Offline WestTx

Questions about the 1025/1035 models
« on: July 16, 2012, 09:53:56 PM »
Do these models measure minimum rain in .01 inches or .04 inches?

Can it be connected to services such as wunderground without the logger?  If so, what software is needed on the desktop computer?

Thanks,
Les
Vantage Vue
WiFiLogger

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
Re: Questions about the 1025/1035 models
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:59:25 PM »
if you get the model with the USB connection then you can connect to the weather display software
from memory its 0.01 inches
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline WestTx

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 11:46:27 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply, Brian.  Hopefully someone will also confirm the .01 rainfall measurement.

And the Weather Display software looks like a useful tool, too - well done.

Les
Vantage Vue
WiFiLogger

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 08:30:19 PM »
Hopefully someone will also confirm the .01 rainfall measurement.

My Backyard Weather (MBW, the included web display site from AcuRite) says that yesterday's rainfall here was 0.01.

I was skeptical of the rain gauge function of my 5-in-1 sensor yesterday.  We had two rounds of t-storms roll through Sunday afternoon.  It was measuring 0.1" per *minute* during the downpours, and totaled over 6" for the day.  When NWS sent out their regional rainfall summaries Monday morning, my station's numbers were 3 times higher than the next highest observation in the entire region.  This includes two ASOS locations within 5 miles of my house.  Long story short, after seeing flooded basements at work (10 miles from home) resulting from the rain, I manually submitted my observation to NWS because I think that every other station in the area was under-measuring.  Ironically, one of the buildings with water in the basement has a WeatherBug station on the roof, and it only saw 1.79" of rain for the month as of a few minutes ago.  In the 7 months that I've had the unit, this is the first major downpour that it has been through.  During every other rain event so far, it has more or less been in agreement (or at least sane) compared with the two ASOS stations.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline WestTx

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 09:51:02 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation of the minimum measurement - I assume you have the 1025 or 1035?

And thanks for relating your comparisons.  At least here in the desert, rainfall can vary greatly between locations only a mile apart.  And I'm sure the same sometimes applies at other places around the country.  I've had complete weather stations in the past (was very active with APRS weather stations using Peet Bros. equipment) and learned then that measurements for not only rain, but temperatures and wind speed can vary a lot at nearby sites.  Anyone who's ridden motorcycles (or driven convertibles) will know how much temperature varies because of vegetation, irrigation, elevation, etc. in rural places but there's also some factors in urban environments, too.  I'm rambling and saying nothing that most on this forum don't already know - but thanks again for the input.

Les
Vantage Vue
WiFiLogger

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 05:58:20 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation of the minimum measurement - I assume you have the 1025 or 1035?

I bought the 1515 kit, and later added the 1035 console as a second display unit because it has the USB interface.  (Lost my patience waiting for the new wireless bridge to ship.)  They all come with the same 5-in-1 outdoor sensor.

If Rhino is reading this, can I make a suggestion that the product docs be updated to show the measurement resolutions along with the sensor measurement ranges at the back of each manual?????
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
  • Acurite 01035, Weather Display
    • Chris Collins Morehead City, NC Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 11:51:58 PM »
To answer your question, yes it does go down to 0.01 inches, which is great!.  I too have noticed that it will overestimate in periods of heavy rainfall. This is counter-intuitive from what one what normally expect from a tipping bucket style rain gauge, which tends to underestimate heavy rainfall. It seems to perform very well in light rain events, but can sometimes be as much as twice what I record in my standard plastic COCORAHs rain gauge.

Overall, I've been very pleased with the 1035 model. Most of the parameters (temperature, dewpoint, wind) are "spot on" with our local ASOS, only about 6 miles away. Mine did finally develop the "humidity stuck at 98 percent" problem that has been addressed and I'm waiting for one of the newer 5-in-1 sensor packages, hopefully in the next few days.  Enjoy your Acurite station, I give it an overall excellent rating, certainly much beyond the Oregon Scientific unit I used for 5 years.

Chris
moreheadcityweather.com

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 03:20:19 PM »
Sorry guys- been in the midst of launching development on a whole new round of great AcuRite products :-)

Yes, the 5n1 measures in .01 increments for rainfall- which I believe has worked well for folks.

If you have a PC Connect product (01515, 01035), and you want even more connections and publishing options- certainly check out weather-display. It's LOADED with options for the enthusiast.

And that's a great point about expanding the specifications documentation for the 5n1 sensor suite- we will work on getting that onto the website.

Thanks for the feedback everybody, I will try to get on here more often to answer questions and address concerns.