Author Topic: VP2 vs Vue (Specific Scenario)  (Read 1703 times)

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
VP2 vs Vue (Specific Scenario)
« on: May 22, 2017, 07:11:14 PM »
Hi all,

I've had my Acurite 5 in 1 station for about 2 years now. A couple of months ago my Aculink bridge broke and I haven't had time to do anything about it. I've now decided that instead of trying to buy a new one, I'd like to upgrade my station. The data from this new station will be used for multiple things, including some research into lake breeze front influences on day to day weather. 

The two options I'm currently looking at are the Davis VP2 and the Davis Vantage Vue. Due to where I live, I've decided that the only suitable place to mount will be about 7 feet above the apex of my roof. This is due to having a large pool and deck in the backyard, and not wanting to mount it in the front yard. My question is, is the VP2 really worth it over the Vue if I have to mount all the sensors on the roof anyway? Are there any advantages? I'm not moving anytime in the foreseeable future, so this will probably be the mounting situation for a while.

Thanks!

Aidan

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: VP2 vs Vue (Specific Scenario)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 08:24:02 PM »
My question is, is the VP2 really worth it over the Vue if I have to mount all the sensors on the roof anyway?
If you must put it on the roof, then no. However, good luck keeping the rain collector clean due to the obvious, unless you have a super simple way of dropping it from there, and even that may get tiresome in a hurry. Not having the ISS on the ground is a data compromise also, except basically for the wind. You also could use a manual gauge for rain (I certainly would) at a more appropriate height and forget the ISS for that.
If you can possibly swing it to get the ISS on the ground properly sited where it belongs, then the VP2 would be the way to go.

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 08:16:43 AM »
Well, if the 7' above your roof is set in stone then the only thing (as far as I know) that the VP2 will do better than the Vue is to allow additional sensors such as soil/leaf moisture, solar, uv, ???, to be added to the station.  If you garden or work with solar energy then the solar sensor would be nice to have, soil/leaf moisture sensor for gardening, UV...not real useful.  So, if you feel like the Vue has every sensor that you think you will need then it will suffice for wind data.

I agree with CW2274 that placing the ISS in that lofty location will be problematical regarding maintenance/repair....especially keeping the rain bucket cleaned out.  The new Davis units are shipping with the new buckets that have the bird spikes (make sure you get a current version) so that will help a little.  In a populated, residential-type area most people have to compromise on their siting, it's somewhat of a "given".  Even folks in the country have issues finding the perfect location and being able to elevate the anemometer up at the recommended height (33ft/10m).  But, installing the ISS in a hard-to-get-to location is known to cause the "I'll do that next weekend" syndrome. 

If it was my station, and it was mounted on the roof, I know that the biggest issue would be keeping the rain bucket clear.  The birds consider it their own personal Porta Potty.  But, other things happen, too.  I will be working on my anemometer very soon (waiting on parts and for a very wet weather system to move out...also have the new style bucket coming), but mine is on a pole that is mounted on a 4x4 post via some swivel braces so a short ladder, undo one brace and loosen the other one and the pole will tilt down to the ground.

Think hard about the maintenance aspect of the ISS.  But, for only wind, I feel both will give you more or less the same data...when placed in the same position.  The VP2 will not have as much body/housing in close proximity to it as the Vue will....slim anemometer design versus the Vue's bulk of the entire ISS sitting just below the anemometer.  Since your research is "wind" I thought I'd mention that last point...might make a difference if you data needs to be as precise as possible.  But, everything is a compromise...we just do the best we can.

I'm curious, where was your Acurite situated?

Best wishes,
Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 11:03:05 AM »
My VP2 is roof mounted and I certainly have all of the above listed problems.
Maintaining a station above a steep pitched 2 story home is difficult.
But I sympathize with the original poster.  I likewise have a pool and many large trees in the back, houses on both sides, and a small front yard bordered by house and street with 2 large oaks.
Its either put it on the roof (my data matches pretty darn closely to other stations in the vicinity) and deal with it or forget the weather station hobby altogether.
I did have a clogged rain gauge (bugs captured by a very small spider) and my debris shield had come loose somehow.
But the new wasp housing has a debris shield that actually connects and won't be dislodged.
I did see a Starling try to land on the gauge just this morning but he was deterred by the pins/spikes.  Don't neglect to install those.
Perhaps I can start inspecting the station with a drone!  My contractor used a nice one to inspect for hail damage.  Trouble is, those are expensive too!  A good one is $500 to over $1000. :sad:

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 11:37:51 AM »
The problem with a drone is that you still have to clean the rain bucket out if it's stopped up...and you can tell without the drone that it's stopped up.  I'm glad to hear that the spikes deterred the flying rat from landing on the bucket.  I've got one of the new style buckets coming tomorrow and I look forward to not having to regularly cleaning out bird crap...seems they really like to perch there...and it's only going to get worse when I get my vegetable garden going right beside it.  I'm hoping the spikes will make a BIG difference....and also looking forward to the slightly more accurate data.

But, like I said earlier, things are a compromise...we do what we can...we're not the NWS. ;)

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 11:51:02 AM »
On the new housing, there is a hole and pin provided for the debris shield, right in the center of the bucket.  This is a useful innovation.  I think the guy this morning would have plopped right into the bucket otherwise.

"you still have to clean the rain bucket out if it's stopped up...and you can tell without the drone that it's stopped up."

True, I became suspicious when the rain totals were shaply lower than could have been expected from what I saw coming down and what nearby stations reported.  Being able to see nearby stations and what they report on WU is a great feature.  I expect it to sooner or later be no longer available as a resource.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:04:23 PM by arrowspace90 »

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 12:25:48 PM »
At least you ca split the sensors from the iss, i did with mine, the iss is all on its own at the bottom of my mast
all sensors are spread around, with the Vue, ya stuck with all or nothing really
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 01:10:09 PM »
Thanks for the advice all, I do agree it definetly isn't the most ideal placement. I've attached a picture (apologies for poor quality, just did this quickly on my phone at work) of the property I'm working with. Is there any place you would reccomend siting the ISS other than the roof?

Thanks,

Aidan [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 01:26:45 PM »
Yeah, I agree, that looks like a roof instalation to me.  I feel your pain.
Your focus will be to think of the safest way to regularly get to it.
I have not really figured that out; an antenna installer bravely goes up on my roof like it is nothing.
I have been up there a few times, and one slip and fall, likely fatal. The antenna man is a very significant fee.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 01:26:56 PM »
Just remember, that your station is going to report *local* weather conditions.  Looking at your property it appears that you are in a densely populated area.  With your ISS on your roof think about the readings for temperature and humidity....you're going to be gauging at rooftop level.  I wonder what the temperature is going to be there with all those other close-by roofs?  Same with humidity.  Wind is going to be interesting, too, as it turbulence is created as it travels across those roofs.  After thinking about it some more I think you would definitely be better off with the VP2.  That way you can at least get the humidity and temps more inline with what you "feel".  And, you can mount the anemometer on the roof, even though it will still be affected by the other houses (and yours)...but, in regards to wind that will be about the best you can do.  I would rather do the best I can with all sensors.  I believe you will be happier having an all-around more accurate station.  I change my vote from neutral to VP2. ;)

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com