Author Topic: D Link to Meteobrige  (Read 3936 times)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
D Link to Meteobrige
« on: September 23, 2014, 05:36:48 PM »
I've got the D Link Router on the way to be used with Acurite bridge. Should arrive by Thursday. I may need some help, but I think I can flash it.

As I understand the directions, I can download the meteo package to my PC through the wireless connection rather than an ethernet. I do not have a laptop, just a desktop with wireless windows 8.1 - Do I need an ethernet hooked from my PC to the D Link when I am flashing or just do it through wireless as well?

I am probably making this more complicated than it is, but I want to do this as quickly as possible so I do not spend hours doing it the wrong way.  :lol:

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: D Link to Meteobrige
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 10:33:49 AM »
My D Link DIR 505 will be here in a couple of hours. Any tips? I may be back for help if the past is any indication of the future. :shock:

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 11:40:09 AM »
I would assume that you always have to connect it via ethernet first because you have to set the wifi details - user name, password, so that the router is able to connect in the first place. I have a different router for meteobridge, but I definately used the ethernet for flashing, it is also safer.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 12:01:11 PM »
I would assume that you always have to connect it via ethernet first because you have to set the wifi details - user name, password, so that the router is able to connect in the first place. I have a different router for meteobridge, but I definately used the ethernet for flashing, it is also safer.

Thank you.  8-) The router is here and I'm about to get started. I'll use ethernet into a port on my router.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 03:04:06 PM »
I'm up and running as you can see, but I keep sending errors to Wunder and PWS... It is showing up as dashes and 9999

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 04:07:41 PM »
Errors seem to be clear right now...

What is this? Indoor   1 min   22.8°C 30% 1020.6hPa (1019.9hPa)   73.0°F 30% 30.14inHg (30.12inHg)

This is an outside acurite tower sensor I have. How do I know if this is being broadcasted? I don't want it broadcast. Thanks. So far I like Meteobridge!

Outdoor #5   36 sec   23.2°C 98% (dew 22.9°C, heat 23.2°C)   73.8°F 98% (dew 73.2°F, heat 73.8°F)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 05:27:37 PM »
See my post about Outdoor #5.  It is an artifact.  Ignore it - not published.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 06:01:21 PM »
Cool.

But the bridge must have an indoor temp sensor. It matches the temp in the house on the Meteobridge display.

What position should the mode switch be set on with the D Link? Wi-Fi ;Router AP or Repeater? I have it on Router AP right now.

Also I want to move the D link and bridge to another room. If I unplug power, what can I expect and what steps should I take to get data flowing again?

I also adjusted the Barometer. It was WAY low. I stil need to run it up a couple of points.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 08:32:45 PM »
At the risk of offending you do you actually RTFM?  http://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Getting_Started  It states clearly how to set the router. "Set mode switch of DIR-505 to "Router/AP""

As for your other question well, you could always look the horse in the mouth.  IOW, moving it to another room  is no issue - it will restart  without any action from you as it remembers the settings.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 08:45:16 PM »
At the risk of offending you do you actually RTFM?  http://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Getting_Started  It states clearly how to set the router. "Set mode switch of DIR-505 to "Router/AP""

As for your other question well, you could always look the horse in the mouth.  IOW, moving it to another room  is no issue - it will restart  without any action from you as it remembers the settings.

WTH??????

Yes I read it, but it is saying to set it at ROUTER/AP while you flash. It doesn't ever say to leave it there when done, or what to do with it. I lost connection is why I was asking... The damn aculink bridge is so sensitive that if you move it any at all, you lose the signal from the outdoor units. Everything wireless is complicated!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 08:52:40 PM »
Fair enough  - I apologize for being harsh.  Some stuff does not translate well from German I guess.  :)  I use a 3020 and it is currently in 3/4G mode and works fine.  I have no issues with moving my setup all over the house.  Max 20 meters (60 ft) from the 5-1.  getting 3-4 bars.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 09:10:27 PM »
I appreciate you guys putting up with me. I hope I have helped others in some way with all my questions. Everything is running really well now. Even Wunder has added me back into their forecast page. The Meteo... is now using the 5 n 1 temp instead of the tower. How it switched is a mystery! Now I hope to set up CWOP next week. I would recommend the meteobridge to everyone. If I can flash it, you can too. The D Link is only running about 56% capacity, so if I ever decide to do more with data, there should be enough ram.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 09:55:06 PM »
There is no way AFAIK to use the internal RAM in the router.  Use MB PUSH services to dump data to an SQL database for post-processing.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 04:48:44 PM »
Great that you managed around the bumpers without needing me to interfere. The D-Link is a bit more complicated to flash, the TP-Links are more easy.

Just for information, the mode switch is non-functional on all Meteobridge devices. Once Meteobridge has been flashed to it, the mode switch is without function.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 05:09:46 PM »
Doc, I love the product. Everyone should do this. I'll admit I was afraid I would foul it up, but somehow, (and I'm still not sure exactly how) I managed to get the D Link to communicate with my other router. I don't even know how it connects as it does right now, but it's doing just fine. The D Link didn't seem to be that hard to me to flash. The worst part was just getting the connections hooked up and pushing the data.

I do have the issue of missing the first 0.01 reading when rain starts. I am missing 0.02 inches on both upload sites. How do I fix that?

Offline joegr

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
I have the "first 0.01" of rain issue too, but it's not consistent for me.  Sometimes it is okay, many times not.  Of course, I also disagree with the rainfall rate calculation.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 09:01:12 PM »
There is no way AFAIK to use the internal RAM in the router.  Use MB PUSH services to dump data to an SQL database for post-processing.

I do not know if you are aware of the memory constraints with using the Acu-Rite bridge with MB, but the packet sniffer in MB allegedly consumes so much RAM on the routers that the MySQL push service cannot be loaded at the same time.  The D-Link is the only supported router with more RAM, so it only hs 56%in use with the Acu-Rite packet sniffer loaded and has overhead for other push services like the MySQL option.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 09:45:26 AM »
Now last night, it rained, and the count this morning when I looked was correct on all sites. I don't get why the problem of missing 0.01"only happens sometimes?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 09:21:51 PM »

I do not know if you are aware of the memory constraints with using the Acu-Rite bridge with MB, but the packet sniffer in MB allegedly consumes so much RAM on the routers that the MySQL push service cannot be loaded at the same time.  The D-Link is the only supported router with more RAM, so it only hs 56%in use with the Acu-Rite packet sniffer loaded and has overhead for other push services like the MySQL option.....

Weird.  I can push to MySQL using TPlink.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 11:44:27 AM »
Using "Acurite Aculink Bridge" as weather station AND making use of mysql interface brings the TP-Link to its RAM limits. Just one of those is fine. Background is that mysql lib and tcpdump lib are both rather large, so when both are needed a D-Link DIR 505 with double the RAM is the better choice then the TP-Links.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

anything