Author Topic: How Do You Promote Your Personal Weather Site?  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
How Do You Promote Your Personal Weather Site?
« on: June 29, 2009, 07:21:28 PM »
I would like to get the daily hits count on my PWS out of the single digit range.  What have others done to help bring their daily hits range into double digits on a daily basis?  Post notices of the web site on neighborhood bulletin boards?  Buy ads?

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
Re: How Do You Promote Your Personal Weather Site?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 08:54:46 PM »
Search engines are your friends!  ;)
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 09:11:13 PM »
I posted my link in a local community gossip forum/board, and got a story wrote-up about me and my station.  I also have a link to my station in the signatures of all online forums that I frequent.  And I also have a link to my station in my email signatures.

Here is the story:
http://mountcrawfordweather.org/Weather%20Station%20Photos/Featured%20Story%20in%20Shenandoah%20Journal/photo.html

SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 09:23:17 PM »
Word of mouth. Literally.... And mass emails to friends, coworkers, etc. I was able to send a mass email through my company which ended up everywhere in the county... Finally got a spot on the local cable channel which ran a 1/2 hour feature on my station and site. And now to cap it off, the site is being featured in a regional magazine coming out July 1st....

It all just takes time to propagate....Just keep pushing....

Jim

Offline JOE

• Forecaster
    • Centralia IL Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 12:36:02 PM »
Mostly just word of month.

Some other forums I frequent.

And emails.

I'm not really pushing mine anywhere.

Joe
www.centraliaweather.com
DW1376
KILCENTR2
K9RJN

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 12:43:10 PM »
Word of mouth, posting on local forums, and sending data to my local TV station
Tony

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 02:05:39 PM »
I'd add an External Link to your website on the WikiPedia page for Stillwater, OK
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stillwater,_Oklahoma

I did to the Saratoga, CA page and get a few visitors that way.

Also make sure your website is in your WeatherUnderground and CWOP profiles .. some traffic arrives that way too.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline wxkpt

• Kingsport, TN Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • When The Weather Gets Tough.. Get With The Weather
    • Kingsport, TN Live and Local weather
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 02:44:02 PM »

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 04:52:33 PM »
LOL

:lol:
Tony

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
I think some just happen to stumble along  and here I am... ](*,)

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 05:13:29 PM »
I'd add an External Link to your website on the WikiPedia page for Stillwater, OK
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stillwater,_Oklahoma

I did to the Saratoga, CA page and get a few visitors that way.

Also make sure your website is in your WeatherUnderground and CWOP profiles .. some traffic arrives that way too.

Best regards,
Ken

Thanks. I took your pointer on wiki.  To little surprise, the approach of stormy weather helps up the traffic, triples it, on my site as it did this morning from a thunderstorm that dropped about a half inch of rain.  Also the traffic tripled on the 4th of July with it's morning rain and later that evening the passing of a light thundershower that delayed the local fireworks display at the lake by a half hour.  

Another idea, I think, is to post business cards on bulletin boards at local businesses.

Thanks, guys, for the other ideas.

http://stillwaterweather.com
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:15:23 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 10:27:25 AM »
I received this custom license plate frame as a Valentines Day gift... Hopefully it will bring visitors to the site and not comments about my driving. #-o :lol:

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 11:39:46 AM »
Hmm. I never thought about that. I actually make them here

lol
Tony

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 12:18:10 PM »
Dunno how I missed this thread originally... It's serendipitous that's resurfaced today, as I was going to post about being in the paper Sunday.

My current most helpful initiative is to become friends with the local PG&E meteorologist. He does live weather on the local AM drive time news 6 times a morning on week days, sends out a daily email forecast, publishes a column in the Sunday paper, and is regularly quoted in other weather features in the paper.

All of those garner SLOweather regular mention for rain totals, temperature extremes etc.

As a former regular magazine article writer (including one in WeatherWise) I know how hard it can be to come up with fresh topics, especially when you need to come up with a new one every week.

So, I invited him to accompany me a week ago Saturday up to Condor Lookout on Hi Mountain in the Los Padres NF to redeploy a cellular WeatherElement unit.

That got the Lookout, me, and SLOweather great press in his Sunday column yesterday. 

(Condor Lookout is a refurbished USFS fire lookout now dedicated to California Condor tracking and research. It's at 3,190', and has views from the Sierra to the Pacific Ocean. The site is all solar and proane powered, so my WeatherElement interface runs on 12VDC and uses a cellular router to send data to the server.)

Along those lines, find out if any of the local weather people (tv, radio, newspaper) have a stable of "weather watchers" and join them. Use your URL as your ID.

If there is one of those free local weekly alternative papers or magazines around that you see on every news stand, volunteer to write a weekly feature for them.

If ANYTHING remarkable weather-wise is recorded on your station, use the media news tip lines to let them know quickly. Most local media are so hamstrung for reporters, they'll welcome the input. Become an NWS Weather Spotter and then include your ID number in your news tips. That might give you some street cred.

I've gotten a lot of exposure by having a lightning tracker and page. It helps that thunderstorms are fairly rare here so when we get one it's news. A big storm here a few years ago got me on TV as well as in the paper.

I've done a couple of other things.... I had SLOweather.com pens made and passed them out and left them in banks and grocery stores. Also business cards... Either one is good for passing out when chatting up your site to someone.  it's always a rush to talk with someone and have them already know about your site.

Start a weather blog. It's amazing how many people will find your posts in a Google search. I just made a good contact with a local hay farmer who owns 2 Davis stations through a post he found from 3 years ago.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 12:38:36 PM »
Ponchatoula is an old, historic town...one of those that pretty much everyone knows everyone.  We just moved here in October. Once I get my site ready to go and am assured my data is as accurate as possible, I'll likely print up a few flyers to drop off at some of the local businesses here along our Main Street.
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast