Author Topic: GR3 web publishing  (Read 3330 times)

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
GR3 web publishing
« on: February 12, 2010, 07:53:05 AM »
Came accross a scary post on the grlevelx owners forum.

http://www.grlevelx.com/owners/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5623&p=45986&hilit=web#p45986

"You know, if I had to do it all over again, I'd nuke the blasted "Web Publishing" feature. It causes more problems than it's worth and will continue to cause problems for the life of GR3."

That was from the owner/author of GR3.

Well I hope he does a poll before thinking about removing from any future versions.  I for one would not have given over my U$79.95 had this feature not been available.  I am sure the chaser and emergency management community could care less.  But since I am at work 12 hours a day, I can only use the "core" features of the software during the evenings and weekends.  Its great, but had I not seen how members here incorporated into their websites, I probably would not have purchased.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
Re: GR3 web publishing
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 07:58:05 AM »
It's probably just a local user issue.  I don't know what's so hard about it.  I didn't read the thread, but what is he having problems with?   I set my to go, and it goes....never have any issues with it what so ever.
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 08:15:28 AM »
The user was simply asking is the base BR1 could be turned off, as he only use BR248, so no sense in wasting bandwidth uploading that image.  His response was to that post.

I think that is the problem every user is different.  I have an issue, but its not even with upload, it that my downloads fail sporadically, which in turn causes the web publishing to stop.  But due to the way the program is written to me, it appeared at first to be a web issue.

Unfortunately the way it has been written you have to use the built in publishing.  I would much rather have it just dump the image every 8-9 minutes to a local folder, and let me managed with fling or something.

Andrew

It's probably just a local user issue.  I don't know what's so hard about it.  I didn't read the thread, but what is he having problems with?   I set my to go, and it goes....never have any issues with it what so ever.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 09:12:53 AM »
Hmmm....wonder why he only uses BR248?  He must be using a wide shot of his radar b/c 248 won't be too accurate for regular and zoomed shots. 

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 03:11:36 PM »
Hmmm....wonder why he only uses BR248?  He must be using a wide shot of his radar b/c 248 won't be too accurate for regular and zoomed shots. 

I thought the same thing. Several users on here use BR248 on their websites but don't show a wide angle view but rather a close up shot. You lose resolution with BR248 on zoomed shots.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 07:22:59 AM »
I sure hope he thinks twice about doing away with the web publishing feature also. I agree with Ocala I am at work and need to see what images I want to get a handle on whats happening..especially in the summer. I have seen times when my GR3 was showing significant "weather" and the WU radar was totally clear! I've see that more than once.

Strangely enough..and I hope I do not jinx myself but I seen no troubles with getting the images to my server since I cleared up the password issues. I probably could get the images the images there with a FTP client like Fling or such but I am not always here to hit the send button and I never was able to get Fling to do an unattended upload..ever!  I know it can be done as Mackbig and Sam both use  that program and report good luck with it. May be my firewalling issues I have here but I never could get it to do squat unless I really "insisted " LOL! Maybe I need some education on the product just in case I really have to use it LOL! :-P

I sure hope this is not a future "enhancement" for GR3  IMHO :lol:

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 09:08:37 AM »
I don't think Mike will remove that FTP feature.  Back when he was developing the software, that was close to being the #1 requested feature.  Now, there is a very large number of GR users that use the FTP function.  He'll surely not take a step backwards with his program.  He'll have a riot on his hands!   :-P

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 07:22:31 PM »
I agree! I don't think removal of the web publishing feature would be a smart idea :-P

Like I stated earlier I'm sure there are alternate ways of publishing the images but why bother when this method does what we need it to do.
Me and FTP clients never could see eye to eye for some reason. #-o

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092