Author Topic: Saratoga NOAA Image of the Day script  (Read 4424 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: Saratoga NOAA Image of the Day script
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2016, 10:01:57 PM »
John,
The message
Interesting that I do not see the 403 error on my site, nor have any changes been made to .htaccess there. The IOD page worked fine a few days ago and then just went to this problem. I see nothing that should take this page to the 403 error. Also, all the links on the page, including the one to the image, take me there successfully.

Guess I'll just delete the page.

Thanks, Ken.
John,
The 403 page and message do not look like something from a plain .htaccess deny entry.  Maybe something like a zBlock rule?
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2016, 10:18:11 PM »
Hi Ken,

I wrote that 'wonderful' 403 page via my host cPanel. 99% of my blocks are deny from commands taken from my access logs by those I consider abusers of the site (those who drive resource use up and force throttling of the site). My confusion is why it suddenly decided to flag something that used to work when no changes had been made to .htaccess.

Thank you.
John
W7JKG

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2016, 08:26:41 AM »
John, right-click on the "image" and open it in a separate tab and you will then see the 403 page that Ken quoted and is speaking about.

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2016, 12:54:16 PM »
John, right-click on the "image" and open it in a separate tab and you will then see the 403 page that Ken quoted and is speaking about.
Ed, doing that just brings up the image all by itself in a new tab, no text at all, which is what I would expect.

Thanks.
John
W7JKG

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2016, 11:21:01 PM »
That's not what came up when I clicked the image link on the page, and based on my .htaccess I see no reason the 403 should pop up. Actually have two files. Last night , section by section, I actually wound up with both files completely commented out. Still got the normal text on the page but not the image.

Moot point, anyway. I've taken the page down. Just getting tired of all the problems and being wrong all the time - that is NOT a finger-pointer at anybody here. I appreciate the help from everybody. Just getting very tired of this new-found 'ability' to not be able to fix things on my own any more. Age is creeping in.

Thanks to all.
John
W7JKG

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2016, 07:32:04 AM »
Hey, I understand.  Sometimes we've just gotta let go of things and look for the next windmill to battle with. :)

As for not being able to fix things...  When Microsoft killed DOS I lost my ability to "fix" things...back in '90-what?  I did manage to get Win3.1 installed and have managed ever since then. But, when I could write a simple batch file to do things (and I was and never have been a "code" writer) and suddenly was presented with files and things I'd never heard of, it was intimidating.  I've been flyin' by the seat of my pants ever since.  Tinkering with www.beeweather.com and the associated files has got me "coding"(?) a little bit...well, at least inputing things in the correct (most of the time) spots.  Php files are amazing to me. :)  Shoot, my cellphone is a hand-me-down $30 Walmart Straighttalk with a screen on it about the size of a 1x1 postage stamp and scratched so badly the "touch screen" has problems working. ;)

So, yeah, whether you have the IOD on your website definitely isn't a deal killer...go on to other things.  Maybe revisit it in a month or so and maybe something down the line has flushed out and things will click again for it.

Hang in there!
Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2016, 07:40:34 AM »
Oh, just to add something else.  I've got a reoccurring problem with WebcamXP hanging up on me.  Looks like I'll be posting the problem hoping for an answer soon.<sigh>

Never a dull moment, eh?
Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2016, 08:12:54 AM »

When Microsoft killed DOS I lost my ability to "fix" things...back in '90-what?  I did manage to get Win3.1 installed and have managed ever since then. But, when I could write a simple batch file to do things (and I was and never have been a "code" writer) and suddenly was presented with files and things I'd never heard of, it was intimidating.  I've been flyin' by the seat of my pants ever since.  Tinkering with www.beeweather.com and the associated files has got me "coding"(?) a little bit...well, at least inputing things in the correct (most of the time) spots.  Php files are amazing to me. :) 

Ed, we must be twins ;)

Paul

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2016, 09:00:16 AM »
...I've been looking for my *rich* twin brother for years!!!!!!  :lol:

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2016, 01:57:58 PM »
Sorry, I am the other one...

Paul

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2016, 09:53:58 PM »
Oh well, so we were 2/3's of triplets, eh?  Figures.<sigh>   :grin:

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2016, 03:37:49 PM »
Hey, I understand.  Sometimes we've just gotta let go of things and look for the next windmill to battle with. :)
Which is exactly why IoD is no longer on the site. Too bad in a way because they seem to be putting some better stuff up than before.

Wx PC has FTP and excessive memory use problems, iMac is unhappy but that's my fault for running the macOS beta, W10/Parallels on the iMac worked just fine on Saturday, went back in the use it on Sunday and W10 had decided it couldn't connect to the 'net (but the iMac - same machine - was connecting just fine). And on and on it goes.

Thanks, Ed.
John
W7JKG