Author Topic: Security  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Security
« on: January 03, 2011, 10:39:48 AM »
    I just registered my VWS Internet version and am ready to start uploading to WU and then start website.
    Are there any security issues I need to think of apart from the normal ones of the internet 8-[ 8-[?  I do have some other things on this computer and want to keep them secure.  I have McAfee security suite with firewall and the whole shebang.
   Thanks for any advice!!!
       Mark

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
Re: Security
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 12:11:12 PM »
You should be good. I've been running VWS Internet Edition for three years now, no problem. As long as your router and Windows Firewall are there, you shouldn't have any issues.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
Steve,
   Thanks.  I felt pretty sure I would be ok but wanted to check with the experts!!  Can't be too carefull these days!!
       Mark

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 04:28:15 PM »
Using a strong password for your website account (or any internet account for that matter) is a must.  This is what my web hoster recommends.

Set a secure password for your hosting account

To heighten security, and avoid any possible corruptions of your account, please create the strongest password possible. Here are the gradations:

•Unacceptable - less than 6 characters

•Weak - 5 or more Characters, including 1 or more Numerics

•Fair - 5 or more Characters  including:
•1 Numeric, and
•1 or more Special characters, or
•1 or more Uppercase Characters

•Strong - 5 or more characters including:
•2 or more Numerics, and
•1 or more Special Characters, or
•1 or more Uppercase characters

•Very Secure - 5 or more characters including:
•2 or more Numerics, and
•1 or more Special Characters, and
•1 or more uppercase characters  

When creating or changing your plan password (which is the same as your FTP/FrontPage password), FreeYellow requires that you use a "strong" password. Strong passwords meet the following criteria:

•Contain six or more characters
•Contain at least one letter and at least one number and at least one symbol.
•Must be different than your plan username
•Cannot be the same as one of your last five passwords

Example: n0tDogsN@m3

Change your password to a strong password today! Here are some tips for creating strong passwords:

•Use more than the minimum number of six characters, since longer passwords are generally more secure than shorter ones.
•Use punctuation symbols in your password, such as a period ( . ) or an exclamation point ( ! ), and a mix of upper and lowercase letters.
•Replace a letter or two with a number or symbol that looks similar, such as @ for a or 1 for i.
•Avoid common words or well known information about yourself (such as birth date and family members' names) as part of your password. Instead, use a word or phrase that is easy for you to remember but difficult for others to figure out.
•Use a memory aid. One common method for creating strong passwords is to create a phrase that only you would understand to use as an aid for remembering your password (mnemonic). For example, a common mnemonic used to help school children remember the notes for the lines of the G clef musical scale (EGBDF, from bottom to top) is "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge." An associated password for that mnemonic could be gClef_3gbdf.

Why Create a Strong Password?
Online criminals are, unfortunately, very sophisticated at figuring out passwords. The strong password requirements enforced by FreeYellow create much more secure passwords than simple everyday words.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 04:33:34 PM by Harryca »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 05:03:14 PM »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 05:07:50 PM »
+1  As in  http://www.pctools.com/guides/password/
   Thanks!!!  Over the years I have developed some "devilish" passwords.  I won't need them if I can't figure out how to proceede with this web building!! ](*,) ](*,) There is another thread describing that "nightmare"!!!

Online Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 05:14:04 PM »
I have no problems at. I have McAfee and Malwarebytes on the weather computer. Having a dedicated weather computer helps alot. I know some share their computer with their station for the sake of economics but that is just adding more risk. Since I dont surf on the weather computer and all it does is ftp up all the time and not download, it is pretty safe.