Author Topic: ENHANCE: Secure FTP  (Read 424 times)

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
ENHANCE: Secure FTP
« on: April 19, 2019, 09:26:59 AM »
If the Weather Underground FTP site doesn't already support secure FTP, please add this feature as an option.  If it does, please publish what WU is using and how to connect securely so we can choose to use this feature.  I hate to think that our information is being transmitted in clear text, but I really don't know whether it is or not.  Is there any up-to-date documentation?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 09:43:38 AM by konz »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: ENHANCE: Secure FTP
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 11:00:48 AM »
Yes it is clear text. But there is little risk of account exposure if you are uploading images from your private network. I mean does anyone upload images from a public hotspot? Still I suppose your network or computer could get hacked. Then someone can delete your WU account or play a prank on you and upload bogus images to your webcam feed. So you have a valid point. How much trouble would an SFTP or FTPS connection be for WU to set up? But then many webcams out there would not support this. But then there is all the other headaches of needing to support these other standards as they have some cons.

https://www.secureblackbox.com/kb/articles/FTPS-vs-SFTP.rst

I think a better solution is for webcams to have their own upload key. This way you protect you WU account password. Then the only exposure risk is that someone uploads a prank image.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
Re: ENHANCE: Secure FTP
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 11:21:13 AM »
Yes it is clear text. But there is little risk of account exposure if you are uploading images from your private network. I mean does anyone upload images from a public hotspot? Still I suppose your network or computer could get hacked. Then someone can delete your WU account or play a prank on you and upload bogus images to your webcam feed. So you have a valid point. How much trouble would an SFTP or FTPS connection be for WU to set up? But then many webcams out there would not support this. But then there is all the other headaches of needing to support these other standards as they have some cons.

https://www.secureblackbox.com/kb/articles/FTPS-vs-SFTP.rst

I think a better solution is for webcams to have their own upload key. This way you protect you WU account password. Then the only exposure risk is that someone uploads a prank image.

Thank you for the input.  I'm just requesting that it be an alternative, not the standard.

Offline WeatherNC

FTP Webcam Status
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 11:27:42 AM »
Does anyone know if WU has made any headway with FTP webcams?  None of mine are working..Still. Todd said Sunday they would be working on them this week. I still cannot get mine up.  Do we need to renew them somehow to get the server to accept them? HELP! :-(

anything