Author Topic: Irrigation without hosing temperature data  (Read 4544 times)

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
Re: Irrigation without hosing temperature data
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2018, 06:38:29 PM »
Lawn, yard, whatever.  That's semantics.  It's a half acre of whatever.  You're trying to get 13,000+ gallons of crystal clear potable water onto it (and further wasting a ton in the process through evaporation as evident by the significant temperature drop).  All because you want your shrubs to look nice and climate change is going to make that a non-starter. I guess you want a pat on the back for doing 30% better than horrible people.  Congrats?

In California, new development requires demonstrated water capacity. When you're asked to conserve water, it's not so the rivers and lakes can be allowed to flow more freely - it's so there's enough capacity for town/county councils to get approval for new condo developments and housing tracts. I'd rather use that water for something else, even if it means just draining it into the ground. Some might say California agriculture needs the water, but growing more oranges for China and making more jobs for people who aren't even in the country legally isn't high on my priority list. Don't get me up on a soap box. :wink:

In any event.  If you don't want to xeriscape (too a greater extent than maybe you are), consider spending a whole Saturday that month you need to water walking around with your hose and flood irrigating (no nozzle), applying the water directly to the soil in lieu of applying it in the least efficient way possible (spraying it willy-nilly through the air).

It would take 22 man hours of watering by hand without counting bathroom breaks, meals, other responsibilities, etc., and the yard is 100% xeriscape. Some people think that means it doesn't need water. That's false. It just needs much less than grass or weeds you buy in pots at the local hardware store, but it still needs somewater. I think perhaps some people here don't realize that it's only rained once here in the last year in any meaningful amount. Once. Even cactus needs more water than that.

The lawn that was here when I bought the house would have required about 200,000 gallons per year to maintain. Now that I use 33,000 gallons in a severe drought year, and 0 in normal (or even 'light' drought years) is A-ok. I'll start doing more when everyone else starts using as little as I do.

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2018, 07:03:00 PM »
Waste is waste.  Regardless of your sense of entitlement *shrug*

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 01:42:20 AM »
Nothing funnier than watching a couple greenies arguing over wasting water. Newsflash even evaporating water doesn't leave the earth. We have what we have.
Randy

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2018, 10:35:46 AM »
Nothing funnier than ........

sending "fake news" about temperature and humidity measurements (or about station location).

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 02:04:09 PM »
Nothing funnier than watching a couple greenies arguing over wasting water. Newsflash even evaporating water doesn't leave the earth. We have what we have.

What is funny to me is how subjective terms like "waste" are thrown around as if they're objective facts. It's a sure sign that you're dealing with a zealot. That, and how they can never resist hijacking any conversation and turning into an opportunity to tell you how wrong you are and how virtuous they are. Zealots are really worried about what you're doing, and not so much about what they're doing. They have a list of excuses two miles long about why they can't do whatever it is they think you should be doing. All they want to talk about is what you should be doing and how you should be doing it. Many of them even like to use whatever power structures they can manage to manipulate to force you to behave as they see fit. The last bit's not so comical, as it's a metastasizing cancer in our society at the moment, but this is already WAY too OT for this board. My apologies for that.