Author Topic: Weathercloud  (Read 8766 times)

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
Re: Weathercloud
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2017, 09:41:27 PM »
Yea, I know, highlighting the weather on a weather web site is the wrong thing to do.  =D>

Actually a lot can be learned from WU. You can learn what to do when new to grow your site and it's popularity. You can also learn not what to do when you get too big for your own good.

But what is happening to WU can not be blamed on the originators of WU. I would guess if they were still running it much of what is happening wouldn't be. But when a business is bought out many good or bad things can happen, we see that in all industries.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 09:46:54 PM by hankster »

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2017, 05:30:21 AM »
Yes, I completely agree with that, but one thing that immediately comes to my mind with regards to this is that if they had enough money they wont sell the company and we are back to the original problem. And thats not to mention that WU was in a way in a much easier position because they were first. Creating some web application/page 15 years ago was like it or not, much easier because there was at least 100 times less sites and so lot of potential for new ideas etc. Finding a gap in the market today is extremely difficult, just like for example becoming a successful blogger, youtuber etc.

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2017, 07:46:46 AM »
My 2 €urocents as maintainer of the EWN.

Sad to say but the quality of PWS data when looked in bulk are quite bad. This because there are allways stations what care nada about the accuracy of the sent data. This can NOT be pared with any single brand of station as there are cheap brand stations with good data as also higher priced brand stations with bad data.

The ways to filter theese out are also quite limited, for example temperature. As we well know can temperature change a lot during ie thunderstorms. Another is the fact one can NOT compare the data to neighbour stations either. This again do it quite impossible to catch ie. "solarheated" stations or other stations with "different" temperature. Just as one example.

Another thing is that >1 minute old data are in the facto old data. The data should be live to be intresting.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2017, 08:19:26 AM »
Another is the fact one can NOT compare the data to neighbour stations either.

Exactly! Especially wind and precipitation. Unfortunately, I think 99% of all weather networks on the web do this and they will go as far as disabling your station if you dont match data from the nearby stations (even if you tell them exactly why this is and why the conditions are different). In some networks you get a "warning" and a gold star taken away :D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:46:57 AM by Jáchym »

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2017, 08:35:56 AM »
Exactly! Especially wind and precipitation. Unfortunately, I think 99% of all weather networks on the web do this and they will go as far as disabling your station if you dont match data from a nearby stations (even if you tell them exactly why this is and why the conditions are different). In some networks you get a "warning" and a gold star taken away :D

Yep. :grin:

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2017, 05:03:51 PM »
Thought I would give them another try and see if the ads were gone.
Only problem is I'm using Cumulus instead of Weatherlink and I'm running into a problem.
At the end of the installation instructions it says to "Run the ad-on program"
What program are they talking about? I stopped and restarted Cumulus thinking that might be it  but that didn't work.
Anyone?
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2017, 10:34:59 PM »
I presume they are referring to Adrian's program that is needed if using Cumulus 1 http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11998&hilit=weathercloud&start=30#p104663
http://app.weathercloud.net/d0280022074

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2017, 11:32:21 AM »
Thanks Paul.
Downloaded the program but no luck.
Even tried to install Cumulus MX ( for the 3rd time) but no luck there either.
I'll just stay with Cumulus 1 and be happy with that. :-)

Offline Jjm457

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2017, 04:55:22 AM »
Thanks Paul.
Downloaded the program but no luck.
Even tried to install Cumulus MX ( for the 3rd time) but no luck there either.
I'll just stay with Cumulus 1 and be happy with that. :-)

I had a few tries at it.  In the folder where the weathercloud appication is, you have to run as administrator (right click and select run as administrator). After that the weathercloud logger
w show up in folder.  I then closed and reopened cumulus.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2017, 06:45:07 AM »
I have got that far but when I get to the comand prompt screen that's as far as I can get.
When I try to type in CumulusMX nothing happens. Meaning no text shows up.
Even had the kids give it shot and still no luck.

Offline Jjm457

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2017, 08:21:52 AM »
I did not run from the command prompt. I OPENED in the file folder and right clicked on the application to run as administrator.

I totally gave up on MX.. IT NEVER COOPERATED!
Did you edit and save changes in the configuration (ini) file? Also, make sure you have the correct path on the last line of the configuration ini file.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2017, 08:41:20 AM »
I had simultaneously tried to get Cumulus with Weathercloud and CumulusMX to work.
Unfortunately I kept opening Cumulus with out the "Run as Administrator" option.
Doing that just now it worked. I was getting the two mixed up.
Thanks for help.
CumulusMX on the other hand, that's another story. Still have to work on that one.

Edit. No it may not be working. I opened Weatherlink a while ago and it updated WC. The page says it was updated an hour ago.
We'll see in a while if i'm getting current updates.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 08:46:24 AM by ocala »

anything