Author Topic: Trouble Shooting Vantage Pro, no data from the ISS.  (Read 10851 times)

Offline J0e

Trouble Shooting Vantage Pro, no data from the ISS.
« on: August 14, 2009, 10:58:50 AM »
Hello.

I need help to troubleshoot my Vantage Pro transmitter.  :?

The problem started with early morning data loss. Just before sun rise, all data from the transmitter would cease. After I would notice this and hit the "done, - " button combination on my display, I could re-acquire the signal. For a day or so. Then it would happen again.
A few days ago the signal stopped and I have not been able to regain it.

I checked the battery and it was nearly dead. Had a little over 1 volt in in it. Thing is though, I just replaced that battery this spring.

This sounds like the VP2's super cap failure but the VP1 has a different capacitor and I have not heard anyone mention this sort of failure with that model. I pulled the board off and looked at it and the capacitor ( 5.5volt, 1F) does have a very little bit of a substance on one side (the cap is flat and round - about the size of 3 quarters taped together) that looks like dried honey but it doesn't appear damaged.

I had an older CR123a battery that still had 2.5 volts in it so I stuck that in this morning but I still have no signal.
I have also tried running the transmitter without  battery hoping the Solar Panel could do the job but that didn't work either.

So -
Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Does anyone know if there is a test point on the VP1 I could use to check the solar panel voltage?

Any and all tips are really appreciated.

J0e

Offline J0e

Re: Trouble Shooting Vantage Pro, no data from the ISS.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 06:34:02 PM »
Is there a prize for stumping the forum  :grin:

So by way of update.

In order to see if a fresh battery would bring the ISS back to life, I went to Radio Shack and found 2 CR123 Li-ion rechargeable batteries with a charger, on sale for $10 (US).
Sadly, the batteries won't seem to charge.

However, in messing around with the ISS I decided that the connector on the solar panel's cable wasn't fitting very snuggly. So I jammed a bit of multi-strand wire down in the connector and then jammed the ISS's connector pins down into the wire.
The Result is that now I have wind data reporting and a message that says "Low Battery". Still no data from Temp/Humidity.

Thoughts?
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 07:40:19 PM »
Sorry, just don't have any experience with the VP1.
It sounds like you have a solar panel issue based on what you did.
I think you need to forgo those rechargeable CR123's and go with a standard battery.
Also a 2.5 volt CR123 is dead.
If you have a meter point that solar panel at the sun and see what it's putting out. Then find out from Davis what the output should be.
As for the temp/humid sensor, I don't have a clue.
Good luck with your problem and let us know if you find a fix.

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 07:52:16 PM »
The supercap shouldn't have any "substance" on it.

You probably know this already, but just in case, the rechargeable batteries won't be charged while in the ISS.  But using a battery without the solar panel should have worked fine.  You may have a bad transmitter board in the ISS.  At the very least, the supercap should be replaced.

The solar panel wire connector is poorly designed in my opinion.  In my VP2, intentionally squeezing the clips and bending the wires barely keeps it connected.

I believe I've heard that in the absence of a capacitor and a solar panel, the battery alone will power the ISS for about eight months.  A (verified) fresh battery should get the data flowing.  If you can't find any breaks or loose connections in the cables, it may be time for Davis to recondition your unit.

The "Low Battery" message will persist until the console is run through setup mode, or until midnight.  Or maybe longer.  Your kilometerage may vary.

I agree that a standard, non-rechargeable battery would probably work best.  I believe the battery will work until the voltage drops to around 3.6 volts, give or take, so as stated, a 2.5 volt battery won't work.  Try using a new non-rechargeable battery.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:55:58 PM by kray1000 »

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 09:47:49 PM »
I have a VP original on my work bench.  A CR123 measuring 2.48 volts won't transmit even to the console a few inches away.  A CR123 measuring 2.69 volts transmits from my second floor and has the message 'Low battery on station 1'.  With no solar panel connected, I measure 2.69 volts also across the super cap while the SIM is operating.  I have a large supply of unused CR123A; the highest voltage measured is 3.28 volts.
The super cap in the VP is constructed with a steel case.  It's mounted/soldered on two tabs that are spot welded to the cap case and are .21" wide.  This super cap has no wires.
I see some dark corrosion (rust) on the positive side of the cap.  The cap/board solder point has white peeling board coating similar to peeling coating on the U29.  This white material is not from the super cap.
Next experiment.
I connected a solar panel to the VP and exposed it to a fluorescent work light.  The super cap voltage measured 2.81 volts.  I removed the CR123.  The SIM continued to transmit to the console after 10 minutes now & the super cap voltage has dropped to 2.71 volts (2.65v in 15 minutes).  No battery, no light on the solar panel.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 11:04:17 PM »
...Thoughts?
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Sounds similar to the way my VP1 ISS failed.  I had some pins that corroded away on the transmitter IC.

I contacted Davis about it and they had a retrofit kit available for it.  It consisted of a replacement ISS PCB, a weather tight box to mount the circuit in and a new temp/humidity sensor, and a modification to the radiation shield.  My reception since has been better then it ever was before.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 09:55:42 AM »
...Thoughts?
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Sounds similar to the way my VP1 ISS failed.  I had some pins that corroded away on the transmitter IC.

I contacted Davis about it and they had a retrofit kit available for it.  It consisted of a replacement ISS PCB, a weather tight box to mount the circuit in and a new temp/humidity sensor, and a modification to the radiation shield.  My reception since has been better then it ever was before.
Can you post more info about the retrofit kit and weatherproof box please,
Al
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline J0e

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 03:58:20 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys!

I further wrangled with the solar panel connection yesterday afternoon and low and behold, I finally started receiving all my data!
Until about 9pm. Dark.
Several hours after sun-up this morning I still could get no data from the ISS. A few hours ago though, I cycled through the "Done, - " buttons again and started getting all my data (as well as the low battery warning).Just by way of experimentation, I disconnected the battery all together and am still getting data as long as there is direct sun.

A quick check with my voltmeter shows that in direct sunlight the panel is producing 2.0 volts.
When a cloud passes in front of the sun though (still very bright out just a shadow on my yard) the voltage drops to 0.38 volts and the ISS stops transmitting.

So that's where I stand at the moment.
I still need to buy a fresh CR123 battery but I have to wonder if my solar panel is no longer up to the task and my station is having to rely too heavily on the battery.

BTW - I believe I may have had the "upgrade" to my VP1 back in 2006 when I sent the whole ISS back in to Davis because of malfunction. Just FYI, the transmitting hardware is now in a white plastic box mounted on the underside of the entire ISS. I think when I first got this, the electronics were inside the Temperature shelter.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 04:54:45 PM »
The VP & VP2 have 2 volt solar panels.  You can see 4 cells in series.  (Each cell produces 0.50 to 0.55 volts).  Under no load, I measure 2 to 2.2 volts in full sun on my VP original.  The voltage drops when shaded or connected to a load.  Note:  My VP is used to measure inside upstairs temperature and never gets direct sun.  It receives enough indirect daylight to keep it powered.

Sometimes it helps to 'reset' the SIM.  To do this, remove the battery, disconnect the solar panel.  Use a disconnected Davis wall wort power supply.  With no power source to this, plug the DC plug into the jack near the CR123 battery holder.  This connection drains the super cap and resets the system.  Leave this connected for 1 minute.  ~~~~ Disconnect the DC plug from the SIM jack.  Reconnect the solar panel, and install the battery.  Reset the console if necessary to receive from the ISS.

Be sure that the test switch #4 is set to off and the LED does not flash periodically.  The test function drains the battery quickly.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 08:24:32 PM »
....BTW - I believe I may have had the "upgrade" to my VP1 back in 2006 when I sent the whole ISS back in to Davis because of malfunction. Just FYI, the transmitting hardware is now in a white plastic box mounted on the underside of the entire ISS. I think when I first got this, the electronics were inside the Temperature shelter.

Yep, sounds like you already have the upgrade.

Some photos for WXtech....

This was when I was starting the conversion.  You can see the old PCB still attached to the rain bucket and the new PCB on the work bench beside it.

Below is the new PCB attached to the mount.

And the final remount back out in the yard.

Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 10:09:22 PM »
Thanks for the photos and info.  That was a version of the VP before I bought mine.  My VP is like the retrofitted one.  I have since upgraded to a VP2+.  The old VP is relegated to monitoring my upstairs rooms, and it still works fine.
Al

anything