Author Topic: VP2 not working in evening hrs  (Read 2724 times)

Offline Islandguy

VP2 not working in evening hrs
« on: July 26, 2009, 09:37:50 AM »
I have a wireless VP2 and noticed the other morning I was not receiving any data from the ISS. All I had was dashes...so I went up and reinserted all of the RJ connections "twirled" the battery and turned switch #4 "on". OK went back down and checked the console and all was good. Went back up and turned off #4. So that evening I checked my console and again all dashes. hmmm...so took a look at my web site and sure enough the unit has been off line in the evening until mid morning for the past 4 or 5 days. So it sounds like the battery is not being charged...it was replaced back in the winter. Unit is about 2 1/2 years old. How should I troubleshoot this issue?
Thanks for any help!
Jim

Offline TorH

• Forecaster
    • Været på Fauske
Re: VP2 not working in evening hrs
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 09:57:28 AM »
Sound like a supercap issue for me. It's been up in several treads here, so you could search after it here on the forum.
Davis Vantage PRO2 wireless
VWS V14.00 p103, WD ver.10.37N, WL 5.8.2, VVP.
WeatherFlash
DW1549
WeatherUnderground: INORDLAN14
http://bjornli.net                     

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 10:01:49 AM »
The lithium battery in the ISS isn't chargeable and doesn't charge.   You should check the voltage of the lithium battery and replace it if necessary to restore evening data.

If the lithium battery wasn't nearly expired when you put it in (very unlikely, but still a slight possibility), then your solar panel connector may not be making a good connection at the connector OR more likely, your super capacitor has a problem.

I'm not sure if there is any easier way to diagnose a super cap problem other than removing the white cover and physically examining it for corrosion or leakage.  If it is leaking, you can replace it yourself if you have the skills, you can call Davis for a repair, or just use lithium batteries like crazy.  Normally a bad super cap will drain the battery and it happens over a shorter period than an entire winter and spring .  People have cut one of the leads to it in that case to gain longer battery life
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Islandguy

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 10:42:20 AM »
Thanks for the info...hmmm...will check the connections....so if I understand the battery works when there is not enough solar power...and then kicks in when the sun goes down? What is the capacitor doing? sorry not an electronics person.
Regards,
Jim

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 11:07:59 AM »
Actually the capacitor is supposed to act as a "rechargeable battery", to carry the ISS through the night or most of the night.  The lithium battery is supposed to supply power when and if the capacitor is discharged.  The capacitor may not have been been able to get a full charge due something like a short day, heavy clouds during the day, or snow on the panels.

So a bad capacitor might not be able to build up a normally full charge and the battery would then have to supply current nearly every night draining faster than normal.

Edit: Or worse yet, a totally shot capacitor may actually add an additional load on the battery or a short in the circuit which would cause a fast drain.  This is why clipping the lead on a very bad capacitor can be a temporary measure to keep batteries from being drained in a few days or weeks.

What does WeatherLink say about your battery status in the station?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 11:15:31 AM by d_l »
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Mason

• Gettysburg 6W PWS
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 02:10:01 PM »
My Vantage Pro 2 24 FARS has nearly the same symptoms as what is being described here.  Two nights ago a message came on the bottom display saying "low battery on station 1".  I went today and got a new  3 volt lithium battery but the message hasn't gone away.  Sometime during the night i lost signal with the iss then this morning after 1-2 hours of light the station was back in full operation.  Could anyone point me in the right direction on what to do?
coop obsever GETP1 (Gettysburg, Pennsylvania)
Skywarn State College, PA

Offline Islandguy

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 02:48:21 PM »
Console: 4.67v
Station battery 1: OK

Jim

Offline Islandguy

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 11:11:29 AM »
Just got off the phone with Davis Support...seems like the ISS is defective, probably the super cap. So....$72 later....this is the second major issue I have had with this unit in 2.5 years of operation...first was the temperature sensor...now this. I am unimpressed!

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 02:19:47 PM »
Just got off the phone with Davis Support...seems like the ISS is defective, probably the super cap. So....$72 later....this is the second major issue I have had with this unit in 2.5 years of operation...first was the temperature sensor...now this. I am unimpressed!

I can understand your disappointment. That's a lot of money to pay and have those problems.
I'm going on 4 years worth of service and I had a faulty ISS (replaced free) and I currently get a periodic message that my batteries are low on station 1. Over all I am happy though.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 03:24:41 PM »
My Vantage Pro 2 24 FARS has nearly the same symptoms as what is being described here.  Two nights ago a message came on the bottom display saying "low battery on station 1".  I went today and got a new  3 volt lithium battery but the message hasn't gone away.  Sometime during the night i lost signal with the iss then this morning after 1-2 hours of light the station was back in full operation.  Could anyone point me in the right direction on what to do?

I believe you have to cycle the console through setup mode (just go in and out of setup mode) to get rid of the battery low message...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline Mason

• Gettysburg 6W PWS
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »
i put the console in setup mode and that did the trick,

thanks,

mason
coop obsever GETP1 (Gettysburg, Pennsylvania)
Skywarn State College, PA

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 05:55:12 PM »

I believe you have to cycle the console through setup mode (just go in and out of setup mode) to get rid of the battery low message...

Or, wait until midnight when the console does some housekeeping... My station 5 is right on the edge of posting the Low Battery. Sometimes I have it, sometimes I don't. The new cell is on the counter, ready to install...

Offline Islandguy

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 08:16:26 PM »

I can understand your disappointment. That's a lot of money to pay and have those problems.
I'm going on 4 years worth of service and I had a faulty ISS (replaced free) and I currently get a periodic message that my batteries are low on station 1. Over all I am happy though.

Overall I am happy with the system...though I paid ~$600 for a VP2 and I now have put another $100+ into it I am a bit....troubled...we'll see what happens next.

Offline Islandguy

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 01:08:31 PM »
I received the replacement ISS for my VP2 yesterday. Went up today and replaced it...took a look at the defective unit and sure enough the super capacitor was leaking....all is good now  :-)....$72 plus shipping back the defective unit to Davis  :sad:

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 01:30:55 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if it might just be cheaper over the the long run to buy a spare wireless basic ISS for ~$208 for parts from Ambient.  Then pull replacement parts from it as necessary or pull one specific part and part out the rest of the ISS with online sales (eBay or here, etc.).
--Dave--