Author Topic: Purchase a possibility.......  (Read 2463 times)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Purchase a possibility.......
« on: July 13, 2009, 02:04:21 PM »
My wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday that is coming up.  Hmmmm. :-k

I've been thinking about a Davis for a while, and I nearly got one last Christmas.  I just hate to have to pay extra for the data logger thing.  But, I may take the plunge anyways.  I've already got two stations, why not three?

Anyways, if I do get one, I'll mount it on the pole with the other stations.

Here's my question:

It seems that the temp/rh and rain sensors are in one package.  If I mount that to the pole, how much rain shadow do you think will occur?  Anyone else have theirs mounted to a pole/mast?

With the OS and Lacrosse units, the sensors are detachable and it's not a problem.

Thanks,

Greg
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
Re: Purchase a possibility.......
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 02:14:15 PM »
I've already got two stations, why not three?

Why would you need three stations for, ohh I see one for rain, one for snow and one for sun, then you need a fourth one for the wind  :lol:
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 02:33:20 PM »
I just hate to throw anything away.   :shock:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 03:36:21 PM »
You don't have to have the ISS attached to your mast.  You could put it on a long arm or on a separate post well away from the mast.  If on a separate post, you could run the cable from the anemometer down your mast and then underground over to the post.  All you need is for the solar panels on the ISS to be able to point south.

Edit: I should mention that I have my ISS mounted on the south side of the 1 1/4" anemometer mast.  We rarely have rain from the north so I didn't think that there would be a rain shadow problem.  I only recently decided to check the ISS rain gauge accuracy with my beat up, old, 4" tube gauge when we had an unusually wet June.  There wasn't any rain shadow problem.  Daily rain amounts in the two gauges were within  0.01' of each other, but no rain fell from the north either.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:12:03 PM by d_l »
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Wx4U

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 03:49:27 PM »
I have a VP2 Wireless sited similar to d_l's explanation. The wind equipment is mounted on a 30 ft pcv pole about 6 ft away. The Davis rain gauge tracks consistly with my 4 inch NWS gauage which is about 10 ft from it. I just mounted the temp/hum/rain 3 or 4 inches from the top of a 5 ft 4X4 post.
Bob
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller, Davis VP2 Wireless, WLS 5.8.2, LaCrosse 2308, Logitech Pro 9000 (Roof mounted on rotor), CoCoRaSh gauge, KTXARLIN35, Compaq Presario W/Vista

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 03:57:07 PM »
If on a separate post, you could run the cable from the anemometer down your mast and then underground over to the post.  All you need is for the solar panels on the ISS to be able to point south.

Earlier this spring I moved my ISS to a separate posthttp://www.canbyweather.com/webcam.jpg.jpg.  The anemometer is on the top of the metal pipe on the right, 18 feet above grade.  The main reason I moved it was to avoid bad rain readings because of the slight swaying of the pole.  I have not noticed any differences that had been caused by a rain shadow.

... and Greg, I understand that Ambient has a deal in that they throw in the data logger for free when you buy WeatherLink :roll:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:05:16 PM by tomcj2 »

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 04:14:29 PM »
... and Greg, I understand that Ambient has a deal in that they throw in the data logger for free when you buy WeatherLink :roll:

Good one, Tom.  =D>  :lol:
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline MoradaWx

• Marada, Stockton, CA
  • Senior Contributor
  • I see sunshine. Let me out!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 07:02:18 PM »
Earlier this spring I moved my ISS to a separate posthttp://www.canbyweather.com/webcam.jpg.jpg.  The anemometer is on the top of the metal pipe on the right, 18 feet above grade.  The main reason I moved it was to avoid bad rain readings because of the slight swaying of the pole.  I have not noticed any differences that had been caused by a rain shadow.

I know it's your little micro climate, but I've been afraid to mount my VP2 that close to my pool and garden as you have done. Do your temp and humidity track close to norm??

Rick

Rick/Morada, CA
Davis VP2+ wireless w/24Hr fan, Enovoy & Console
VWS 14.01p31,WeatherLink5.9.2,VP live,Virtual VP, StartWatch

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 10:42:57 PM »

I know it's your little micro climate, but I've been afraid to mount my VP2 that close to my pool and garden as you have done. Do your temp and humidity track close to norm??

Rick

Because of trees I had little choice in placement.  I always get 2 thumbs up and a 99% or 100% at CWOP.  The pool is not heated, and I have a drip irrigation system for the garden. I water only the plants, and very sparingly at that.  I track very closely to the airport 7 miles away.  I think my data is the most accurate available in Canby.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 01:39:42 PM »
Greg

You can find some imformation on the parts you would need to seperate the rain sensor from the ISS here (see my reply):
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=4c8486ab0c32f481679ff589e12143df&topic=3868.0

Hope that helps
Mike
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

anything