Author Topic: AcuRite sensors and Weather Underground  (Read 2333 times)

Offline ryguyMN

AcuRite sensors and Weather Underground
« on: September 30, 2013, 08:56:18 PM »
Hi,

Within the last month, I picked up a tower sensor (592TXR) and rain gauge (00899) with the AcuLink bridge.  The two sensors send data to the bridge, viewed on Acu-Link.com, just fine.  I have a Weather Underground account, and see that the Tower sensor weather data is transmitted via the bridge to WU, but rainfall is not.  Am I correct that only one sensor can be transmitted to Weather Underground?

Thanks,
Ryan

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: AcuRite sensors and Weather Underground
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 09:57:39 PM »
Yes.  Currently that is a limitation due to the way Acu-Link.com and Wunderground communicate....only one sensor per bridge is allowed. 

There's an upcoming release of AcuLink (Version 1.8), but I'm not sure if it addresses this problem.

http://www.acurite.com/acu-link-release-notes

There are a few different routes you could go with this, but it's probably easier and simpler just to buy a 5-in-1 sensor suite.

Another route is using an old PC to sniff the data and forward it to wunderground directly.  Assuming you know a little Linux and scrounge the equipment, you could do this on a shoestring if not for free.  I've got code that could help you there.

Someone with a little windows programming skill could probably whip something out with too much trouble, too.

Offline ryguyMN

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 07:13:08 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably just stick to the current setup since I live in a colder climate (Minnesota), and don't plan on keeping the rain gauge outdoors during the winter months. Hopefully, AcuRite can make some enhancements to Weather Underground uploading.

Ryan

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 09:18:57 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably just stick to the current setup since I live in a colder climate (Minnesota), and don't plan on keeping the rain gauge outdoors during the winter months. Hopefully, AcuRite can make some enhancements to Weather Underground uploading.

The rain gauge can stay outside in the winter if you want.  As no water is held in the unit, there's no threat of it freezing and breaking like a glass or plastic tube gauge.

anything