Author Topic: Another newb coming online ...  (Read 4695 times)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Another newb coming online ...
« on: January 08, 2009, 07:43:32 AM »
Hello all,
I've been on with WXForum for a couple of weeks now trying to gather as much information from all the talent here. I'm just finishing building another P.C. to dedicate solely for uploading data 24/7 from my PWS (2310) and not to tie up this P.C.. Question is which site to upload to? What factors should I be considering? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Dan

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
Re: Another newb coming online ...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 08:33:57 AM »
Most ISP's offer some web space. So depending on what weather software you are running (VWS or WD). The internet versions of these programs have web site builders built in. So that gives you the ability to upload a page to your ISP's free web space. And noth of these programs can upload data to Weather For You & To Weather Underground. All you have to do is sign up for an account with them.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 04:46:13 PM »
Thanks Anthony for the reply. I'm using WUHU and see the 4 upload location choices (CWOP, AWEKAS, etc.) with this program. I've been checking these sites out and wasn't sure if there was a preference to use a particular one or you just select 'em all or how that works.
I should get this installation completed and running today and at that point I'll at least sign up for one of these and start from there.
Thanks again.

Dan

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 07:17:58 PM »
Thailand!  That should make for some interesting weather posts!

Offline Zephirus

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 08:17:47 PM »
Hi DanS

Where you post your data is really preference. Many of us share our data with NOAA through the CWOP program.  I also share my data with Weather underground  since it allows me to "see" my station and the weather 0n the internet in a easy to view format.  The local TV weather people also use the PWS network in my area for their forecast work.  I have a personal website ready to go but have not done the final legwork of posting pages mostly because my data is already available via CWOP and WU.  Hope that helps

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 04:24:04 AM »
Thanks Zephirus. You answered what I was trying to understand. I went ahead and signed up with Weather Underground this AM and I'll see how that goes. After looking through the choices on the WuHu screen I also felt, like you mention, I could see my station from the internet in an easy to view format. I can travel around with my laptop and watch what's happening at home. The hook-up appears to have gone smoothly and data is flowing.

Sigdigit, I hope the posts are interesting but that's all. :lol: I mean, with no torrential downpours/flooding, cyclones, typhoons, etc. close by. I'd rather read posts like those from another location (but don't wish those conditions on anyone).

Clear skies,
Dan

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 07:33:31 AM »
Always better to hear about bad weather when it's OPW (Other People's Weather)! ;)  One nice thing (probably the only nice thing actually) about living in New Jersey, the weather is never really exciting here.  No hurricanes, avalanches, tornados, poisonous reptiles/bugs (for the most part).  Scariest thing here is taxes and soccer moms on cell phonesdriving enormous SUV's!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 05:11:28 PM »
Hi Sigdigit. Well the first overnight test run of a refurbished P.C. and a new connection to Weather Underground and all went well (probably shouldn't have said that). This AM at 4:30 I woke up excited to come see how things were and pleased so far.
I almost fell over laughing reading about Jersey and the "cell phone mom's in enormous SUV's ". haaa! We have similar 'disasters on wheels' over here too, cell users on motorcycles while carrying passengers. Not so bad if you're walking because you can dodge 'em pretty easy but if you're driving and they're in front it's scary. :shock:
Take it easy over there and happy New Year!

Dan

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 09:16:53 PM »
Scariest thing here is taxes and soccer moms on cell phonesdriving enormous SUV's!

For those who don't live in NJ, another scary thing are jughandles.  You have to turn right to go left.   :-k

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 08:32:57 AM »
Dan, I send my data to everyone except AWEKAS. I figure, the more places I send my data, the more exposure I get. I probably should start sending my data to AWEKAS also.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 02:21:26 PM »
Thanks Anthony. I'm slowly coming up to speed learning about the online side of the weather hobby. I'm hooked up with WU and that appears to be going o.k. and probably do like you say and start looking at others to upload to. I just wanted to see what I was getting into before taking a plunge.  Lots of fun and keeps me off the streets anyway. \:D/

Thanks again and regards.

Dan

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 03:57:05 PM »
I highly suggest uploading you data to weather for you. If you encounter any problems Joe will be glad to help you out. And if you are running VWS. All you have to do to upload to CWOP is download the VWS plugin called VWSaprs and obtain a station Id. Setting the prorgram up is prety much straight forward. The only critical thing is you latitude and longitude. It must me prety much spot on. There are sites on the internet that will give you your exact lat and long based on your street address.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

anything