Author Topic: WS-2000 Outdoor Array Question  (Read 1361 times)

Offline cjtamu

WS-2000 Outdoor Array Question
« on: October 15, 2018, 09:51:14 AM »
Looks like my outdoor array lost connection for a bit this morning. Went down about 5:10 and came back on about 07:30. I was still getting data from the indoor sensor so I know the display was powered up, but the only outdoor data showing was rainfall. No temp. humidity, etc. Has been in the same location for a week and never lost signal. I powered the display down last night for about an hour while I made a change to my mounting pole. It's mounted in the same height, same location, and oriented the same direction as before, I just replaced an extension on the pole. I brought it back up around 18:00 and it was fine until about 05:00 this morning. Brand new energizer lithium batteries, etc. Any ideas? Can lightning affect the radio signal? The bad weather hadn't hit us yet at the time it lost signal but was in the area.

Outdoor data started transmitting again about 07:30, just in time to catch the thunderstorm that came through. I can see the data on Ambient Weather Network, WU, and PWS. Data looks good since it came back up and they all show the station reporting. I can see the data on Wunderstation, and it looks accurate compared to the others. But, after it's up for a few seconds it tells me the station isn't reporting, even though the data I'm looking at is only a few minutes old. Any ideas? I have the rapid refresh on, wondering if I'm having intermittent signal problems from the array and Wunderstation is seeing that with the rapid refresh? Everything is set up as it has been since I fired it up a week ago.

Edit: Distance from the array to display console is about 60', and array is mounted at height of 8'. Liked I said, zero issues until today.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 09:59:53 AM by cjtamu »

Offline Oilswell

Re: WS-2000 Outdoor Array Question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 09:58:18 AM »
Interesting you should say. I had a similar issue with mine as well last night, similar time, most likely coincidental but none the less. I actually went out around 8:30pm though and reset the array, it's been functional since then and without issue.

Offline cjtamu

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 10:05:49 AM »
No issues with mine last night. I just powered it down because I was working on the mounting pole. Issues with mine were early this morning. I won't be back at the house for another 7 or 8 hours, but thinking I may need to do a reset as well.

Offline cjtamu

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 10:53:06 AM »
Just looked at my PWS data. I was reporting to PWS all day Sunday at regular one minute intervals until powering the display down Sunday evening. The reporting intervals have been sporadic since powering it back up an hour later. I'm going to try a reset unless someone with more experience than I (pretty much everyone on this forum) has other ideas.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 01:56:02 PM »
Test your Lithium batteries. I know you said they are new but maybe they got used up which could have happened if you aren't getting enough sunlight to charge the super capacitor in the outdoor sensor array. If the batteries test good then maybe taking them out and putting back in is all that is needed as maybe there was a bad connection (check polarity).

I've seen cases where the WS-2902A array (that is the name of the WS-2000 array) will work for a while and then stop because of low light conditions and the batteries have been depleted.

Move your display console slightly a foot or two and change the angle slightly. Notice the signal strength when it does connect and see if it stays strong or fluctuates. That could be an indicator of interference. You don't have a signal strength indicator for the outdoor sensor array on the WS-2000 display unfortunately (like there is on the WS-2902A display console).

What is the distance from the outdoor sensor array to the display console?
Update: Just noticed you said 60 feet. That is good. Shouldn't be a problem ...unless there is considerable metal structures (walls, roof). Try moving the console closer temporarily just to test.

Is WiFi signal okay also? Is the data just not being reported but showing up okay and updating live on the display? What is the WiFi signal strength showing? And is that steady or fluctuating? If this is the case then you may have a weak WiFi issue. If there is a weak WiFi issue you may want to consider upgrading to a better WiFi router (they aren't all equal). We can cross the bridge if we need to as far as how much coverage you need and what you budget is and what would be a good recommendation for a decent WiFi router. Just because you have no WiFi issues with all other devices does not mean that you may not have a problem with this particular devices ability to hold on to a WiFi signal. You might benefit from a better WiFi for faster service to other devices regardless if they are working okay now. So there could be some added benefit.

The WU reporting by the console should be displayed on WU as updating every 16 seconds. Don't update to WU via ambientweather.net. Only update directly from the display console to WU (it is faster, more live).

I would say it sounds more like a weak WiFi issue because you said the display shows data comparable to neighbors rainfall.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 02:03:34 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline cjtamu

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 02:24:12 PM »
Boy, if the cap get enough sun this week then there's not enough sun to be had. Hot and sunny on Tx Coast all week and I don't have any obstructions above it. It should be getting 7-8 hours of sun a day. Possible battery got knocked loose when re-installing on pole, I'll look. WU updates are directly from the console. Console is near a window and I have clear line of sight to the array. No metal structures anywhere. Everything functioned perfectly for a week, no drops.

I thought about the WiFi. I have cable WiFi and it's fast, but we're out in the country and can have occasional problems when usage is high. But, it doesn't last long and it affects my other devices when it happens. Signal strength was good when I left, and no problems with other devices. Router is in the same room as the console. But if I look at PWS data there are still intermittent updates for 10 hours rather than the 1 minute intervals I had prior. Will have a little better idea when I get back to the house. Going to look at the history on the console and see what it shows.

Don't have any neighbor's rainfall data to compare to. Was just saying the rainfall widget was still showing while all the other sensors were down.

You might be onto something with the WiFi. Checked AW Network a few minutes ago and it was showing it hadn't updated in more than 30 minutes. Same time gap on PWS, and that data comes through AW Network. At the same time on WU it was showing station last reported 20 seconds ago, and that data comes directly from the console. When I powered the display up again last night the WU icon came up immediately, but Ambient Weather took several minutes. Play with it when I get home.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 03:00:26 PM by cjtamu »

Offline cjtamu

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 07:08:44 PM »
Well kids, as so often happens with instruments, it appears to have not been just one thing. All of the above is accurate. From 05:23 to 07:43 today I have no outdoor data in the console's history. Indoor data is there and updated every 5 minutes, and it changes so I know the console was on and receiving data. My only guess is that when I powered the console back up last night, for some reason the connection to the array was unstable.

After it reconnected at 07:43, the data transmission to WU, AWN, and PWS was intermittent/sporadic as stated above. Console history shows is was updating every 5 minutes, but data wasn't getting sent as it should have. No power outages or anything at the house. Again, not sure why. Assuming I just got a poor WiFi connection when I powered the console back up last night, because the reporting interval issues actually started last night about 3 minutes after. Powered down and back up about an hour and a half ago and everything back as it should be.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 12:00:48 AM »
If you are using the cable company WiFi modem/router combo those things are notoriously terrible. I'd tell the cable company you only need a modem and buy a decent WiFi router for your network. Might save you some money with some cable companies in the long run. I think for about 2500 Sq ft coverage the Asus RT-AC68U is a good choice.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline cjtamu

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 07:29:25 AM »
Router/modem has been great since they went digital earlier this year and replaced it.  When I have connectivity issues it’s global, hard wired devices no bueno either.

Offline cjtamu

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 08:23:54 AM »
Still having issue with signal b/w outdoor array and console dropping randomly. Happened again b/w 22:16 to 22:24 on 10/23, 23:25 on 10/23 to 01:35 on 10/24, then again 18:53 to 20:29 on 10/24. WiFi connection was good because my barometer readings from indoor sensor are all logged. And there's no data from outdoor array in the console's history during those periods, so it definitely dropped connection. My console is about 60' from the array, near a window, clear line of sight to the array. I'm going to move the console a little further away from the router and DishTV genie, which are the only things in the room that might interfere and refresh the array/console connection. Anyone have other ideas? Anyone else having this issue? Easiest to see when I look at my data on PWS, shows pretty clearly with the one minute update intervals.   
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 08:25:35 AM by cjtamu »