Author Topic: 5-2-09 Dallas Cowboys Bubble Collapsed  (Read 2987 times)

Offline weatherman

• facebook
5-2-09 Dallas Cowboys Bubble Collapsed
« on: May 04, 2009, 12:39:35 AM »
Amid high winds that were shaking the sides and ceiling of the Dallas Cowboys indoor practice field, the roof, which is a large air-supported canopy with aluminum frames covering a regulation 100-yard football field, collapsed. the NWS has reported 64mph winds. One in Series Condition & the other Parlize (Sorry Cant spell). http://www.kens5.com/video/sports-in...d=357679&shu=1
Take Care
Kevin

CoCoRaHS - KY-CH-4 Gracey, KY
Storm Spotter For Western KY

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: 5-2-09 Dallas Cowboys Bubble Collapsed
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 02:00:11 AM »
Kevin,
   It is amamzing what air, which usually feels so harmless, can do either in holding things up, or, tearing things apart.  I hope everyone recovers.
                      Mark

Offline weatherman

• facebook
Take Care
Kevin

CoCoRaHS - KY-CH-4 Gracey, KY
Storm Spotter For Western KY

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 07:44:32 PM »
One thing that bothers me is in the videos of the incident we can see the players and coaches standing around and joking as the event begins when they could have been taking that time to get to better shelter. This is ignorance on the part of the team and staff, but is also a foreshadow of things to come if officials in charge of major sporting events do not begin taking better heed to severe weather.

It is only a matter of time before we see a devastating tornadic storm effect a major sporting event. Just a year ago we all witnessed the Georgia Dome being side swiped by a tornado giving everyone a dire warning of what could happen.

Just think about all of the football games in Autumn (the second busiest severe weather season) that take place in the heart of tornado country. From the Mid-West, to the Southeast, to the Mid-Atlantic, everyone of these areas sees millions of people go out to various stadiums without one thought to the weather. I shudder to think about the day a massive tornado impacts one of these stadiums (particularly open air stadiums) in the midst of a football game being given more standard than life threatening weather.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 09:13:58 PM »
There was a tornado near Ames, IA  around an hour before a night time football game

Iowa State's mascot is the Cyclones.

No one was injured but the stadium was evacuated.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2222298

How about the storms at the dome in Atlanta?

People are not taking this seriously.
Domes and practice facilities are just glorified tents.

Wasn't there a storm system in Omaha during the Olympic swimming trials?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 09:18:15 PM by chief-david »

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 10:34:39 PM »
I forgot about the Iowa State close call. The story points out one of those bits of half truths that the media love to put forth in the aftermath of severe weather...

Tornadoes are rare this late in the year.

That is true to an extent, but that is like saying hurricanes are rare in November and June. That doesn't mean that can't or don't happen. It's just a way for everyone in charge to look the other way and when something horrible does happen they can say "we never believed for a second that this could happen because tornadoes just don't happen that often in November."

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 11:02:14 PM »
True.  There was a Tornado in Wisconsin in January this year.

Yes, they are very rare in Jan- but it DID happen. 

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

anything