Author Topic: Costco / LaCrosse  (Read 34049 times)

Offline AbuMaia

• Collector of Hobbies
Re: Costco / LaCrosse
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2011, 02:05:52 PM »
Do you think this would be a good C-mas gift for a green-thumb who wouldn't want to do ANY messing with software, etc?

I see they use HeavyWeather software.  Would something like Cumulus work?  How about CWOP and WU uploads?
•Storage of 1750 sets of weather records with user selectable recording interval from 1 minute to 24 hours
Does that work out ok?  He doesn't leave his PC on all the time.

Just getting ideas...

I use WUHU for my CWOP and WU uploads, but I leave my desktop computer on 24/7.
You do NOT have the right to try to force another person to live THEIR life according to YOUR beliefs, unless you accept FULL RESPONSIBILITY for their actions.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
Re: Costco / LaCrosse - BACK IN STORES SOON!
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 03:40:49 PM »
While at Costco today I looked for the 2812, but found none.  On a chance I checked at another nearby Costco with no luck, but the gal at Member Services looked it up for me when I told her it was not on the website but I know some people have found it at selected stores.

She said that most warehouses have quantities on order with an expected delivery of October 3.  (That gives me a couple of weeks to fight the impulse and check out the competing systems.) It is still not on the website, but here are the details...

LaCrosse WS-2813-U
Costco item # 517770
$79.99

The only difference I see between the documents for the 2812 and 2813 is that the quicksetup-guide for the 2813 says to go to lacrossetechnology.com/2813 to download the proper version of the software.  There does not seem to be any other difference between the pages, and the "2813" header-title says "2812" and contains a link to the same 2812 installation instruction document.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline GWD

• Sacramento Valley, CA
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 10:38:06 PM »
Hope LaCrosse gets all of the bugs worked out this time around.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 11:00:13 PM »
If it is the same one my Costco has it is this one:

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/2812/

I have a 2810 and the only problem I have had in about a year was the doubling of rain, which is a known problem and is supposed to be fixed with the 2812.

I bought a 2812 and will be upgrading soon, and the 2810 will go back to La Crosse to be replaced by a spare 2812.

I think it is interesting that La Crosse lists the price at $279.99, and Costco sells it for $79.99. That is a big discount even for Costco. (But it was the same with the 2810.)

Do you think this would be a good C-mas gift for a green-thumb who wouldn't want to do ANY messing with software, etc?

I see they use HeavyWeather software.  Would something like Cumulus work?  How about CWOP and WU uploads?
•Storage of 1750 sets of weather records with user selectable recording interval from 1 minute to 24 hours
Does that work out ok?  He doesn't leave his PC on all the time.

Just getting ideas...

According to SandaySoft/Cumulus, the LaCrosse ws-28xx series stations are not supported and will not run correctly with Cumulus software. It supports the WS-23xx series only. As member Abumaia mentioned, WUHU works great with the WS-28xx series stations (HeavyWeather needed to run with it) and I've been using it this way as well.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:36:24 PM by DanS »

Offline tonyguy2000

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
The Costco here in Wellington , FL has the WS‐2813U‐IT for $79.

Offline leemaisel

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2011, 11:16:56 PM »
What is "WUHU"?   I am wanting to use my weather station for reporting thru APRS and interfacing with my Asterisk phone system, but the LaCrosse software seems like garbage to me, and I can't see any other way of getting the live data for use elsewhere.  I saw someone posted something about "WUHU" and it got me interested.

Offline AbuMaia

• Collector of Hobbies
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2011, 11:25:45 PM »
WUHU is Weather Underground Heavyweather Uploader. It's a separate program used to upload your weather data to different sites, not just Weather Underground.

http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/ to download the software.
http://www.lissproductions.org/wuhu_manual self-explanatory I think  ;)
You do NOT have the right to try to force another person to live THEIR life according to YOUR beliefs, unless you accept FULL RESPONSIBILITY for their actions.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2011, 11:27:07 PM »
What is "WUHU"?   I am wanting to use my weather station for reporting thru APRS and interfacing with my Asterisk phone system, but the LaCrosse software seems like garbage to me, and I can't see any other way of getting the live data for use elsewhere.  I saw someone posted something about "WUHU" and it got me interested.

From the website:

The Weather Underground HeavyWeather Uploader (WUHU) group is primarily intended for users of the Personal Weather Stations (PWS) who wish to upload their weather data to weather servers (Weather Underground, CWOP, AWEKAS, Hamweather) via the Internet.

Supported Station Types:

Direct Serial Suport: La Crosse WS-2300s, WS-3600s, OS WMR-968/918, WMR100, WMR200, Peet Bros 2100, 800, 100, Campbell CR1000, Davis VP, VP2, Vue, WM II, WW III. Optional Inspeed Vortex support for all station types.

Indirect Support: La Crosse WS-2300, WS-2810, WS-3600 (Heavyweather Beta 2.0 or Heavyweather Pro), Honeywell TE923, VWS (including Non-Internet versions, all station types, using CSV output), WV32 limited support (see author's newer version for CWOP support). Indirect Support for WS-2300s -- You must download Beta 2.0 from the HW site. Beta 2.0 is actually newer than the 2.1 version shipped on CD.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2011, 12:03:51 AM »
the weather display software also works with the 2810 type station, in directly, via the currdat.lst file, updated by the heavyweather/easy weather software that comes with the station, similar way that WUHU does
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2011, 01:14:24 AM »
the weather display software also works with the 2810 type station, in directly, via the currdat.lst file, updated by the heavyweather/easy weather software that comes with the station, similar way that WUHU does

Something I always wondered, I see you grouped Heavyweather and Easy Weather software together and I've noticed the similar appearance between the two in advertisements. Are they actually the same programs just renamed to be distributed with LaCrosse and Fine Offset brand stations? Are they interchangable?

Regards,

Dan

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2011, 02:31:03 PM »
ops, I get them a bit mixed up
yeah, easy weather is for the WH1081/Fine offset type station

its just that they are such similar programs....even the program icon looks similar...

ps, Dan, are you affected by the post moonsonal rain flooding that Thailand is getting?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 02:33:51 PM by Weather Display »
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2011, 05:32:17 PM »
ops, I get them a bit mixed up
yeah, easy weather is for the WH1081/Fine offset type station

its just that they are such similar programs....even the program icon looks similar...

ps, Dan, are you affected by the post moonsonal rain flooding that Thailand is getting?

No, not directly affected. Shipments that normally are supplied from Bangkok (household products, gasoline, etc.) have slowed a lot due to their flooding though. We're dry up here.

Offline eq2675

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
I purchased this unit about a week ago at our local Costco. I am not pleased with the fact the you have to manually resync the unit and pc if you reboot the pc. Say what? Here is supports reply in this thread

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=16669.0

Offline mfrazzz

• Falcon Hills wx
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2012, 08:19:45 PM »
FWIW: I have the Lacrosse WS-2813U that I picked up from Costco a year ago.  I have it successfully working with Cumulus software via WUHU via Heavy Weather Pro WS 2800 1.5.4.  I documented how I got this working here: http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=53741#p53741 .  Not a perfect setup but it does work and for the most part I've been happy with it. 

With the WS-2813U, after a reboot (or a stop and restart of Heavy Weather) it sometimes will reconnect to the station, but not always.  Recently it seems that if I do a reboot and leave the computer alone for about 10 minutes it will reconnect on its own (but again, that isn't a given).  Due to this, I've turned off automatic Windows Updates, so I can control when the PC will reboot.  I'm considering rebuilding an old P4 box I have here to basically be my dedicated weather station computer, and to do the webcam uploads.  If I had extra money I'd probably pick up a small PC used for Home Media Centers for this just so it would be smaller out of the way.

I did see the new C86234 that Costco now has, and was intrigued by the ability to use a smartphone with it.  I'm curious if that is a specific feature of this unit, or just some extra software and registration that has to be done.
Mike
  LaCrosse WS-2813U
  Heavy Weather -> WUHU -> Cumulus -> www.frazierhome.net

Offline eq2675

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2012, 08:29:53 PM »
I did see the new C86234 that Costco now has, and was intrigued by the ability to use a smartphone with it.  I'm curious if that is a specific feature of this unit, or just some extra software and registration that has to be done.

The iPhone software is flagged as "Coming Soon!" at their web site

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/c86234/

Offline mfrazzz

• Falcon Hills wx
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2012, 08:42:28 PM »

Ok, I hadn't seen that page.  But I did find this one:

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/alerts/pws/software/

That actually has the Alert software to download.  But when I tried to install it, it seems to want some info coming from a site where you have registered your station.... I was hoping maybe it was some paper that came with the new station with how to register or something.  I'll keep poking ;) 
Mike
  LaCrosse WS-2813U
  Heavy Weather -> WUHU -> Cumulus -> www.frazierhome.net

Offline AbuMaia

• Collector of Hobbies
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2012, 08:11:43 PM »

Ok, I hadn't seen that page.  But I did find this one:

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/alerts/pws/software/

That actually has the Alert software to download.  But when I tried to install it, it seems to want some info coming from a site where you have registered your station.... I was hoping maybe it was some paper that came with the new station with how to register or something.  I'll keep poking ;) 

They want an Activation key, which you have to buy here (if you didn't get one included with your weather station):

http://store.lacrossetechnology.com/la-crosse-alerts/service-plans

in order to use the alert service from here:

https://www.lacrossealerts.com

Offline Jungle Jim

TX-20 Wind Sensor
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 10:27:34 AM »
Hi all, I just got registered so can post.  I'm looking for a TX-20 Wind Sensor replacement unit for my WS-2308 station.  I know it's old, but I can't find a wind sensor on the web anywhere!  Great Big Outlet is out of stock.  Is my station really that ancient??  It's given me many years of good service!  With the storms coming in from the pacific, I'd like to be able to record these high winds!
--
Cheers,
Jim Schwilling

Offline Jeff

• MansfieldWeather
Re: TX-20 Wind Sensor
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2012, 10:39:22 AM »
Hi all, I just got registered so can post.  I'm looking for a TX-20 Wind Sensor replacement unit for my WS-2308 station.  I know it's old, but I can't find a wind sensor on the web anywhere!  Great Big Outlet is out of stock.  Is my station really that ancient??  It's given me many years of good service!  With the storms coming in from the pacific, I'd like to be able to record these high winds!
--
Cheers,
Jim Schwilling

Jim,  welcome to the forum!

I would think that you may get more responses by starting your own topic with good topic description.

stay and have fun!

J

Offline Jungle Jim

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2012, 10:45:57 AM »
Thanks for the tip Jeff...I'll learn my way around here soon!
--
Cheers,
Jim Schwilling

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: TX-20 Wind Sensor
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2012, 10:48:46 AM »
--
Cheers,
Jim Schwilling

Welcome and enjoy your stay!  :)

I haven't seen a TX-20 in a while.  You may be out of luck, unless someone here has one laying around not used.  I have one but it's in service for my WS 2315.

Good luck!  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2012, 10:58:45 AM »
Hello Jim and welcome! You may want to contact these folks to see if they can help. I see they have available the original turbine type designed for the 23xx series stations.