Author Topic: Issues with bridge & 5in1  (Read 1886 times)

Offline cranedog10

Issues with bridge & 5in1
« on: April 14, 2013, 06:33:47 AM »
Hi all.

1.  I am constantly getting errors ("server error")  and it take 5-6 attempts or 5-6 minutes before I can get data using the ACULINK app on iPhone/ iPad/ iPod touch.  Have tried with multiple devices and iOS versions it's all the same .  Previously I hade used pc connect with no issues but that PC died and I wanted to add a fridge sensor so got the bridge from acu-rite.

2.  Weather forecast and humidity on my 5 in 1 always reads 100% humidity/precipitation.  So not sure what the issue is.
    ---->Will use temp humidity to check readings against 5in1

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: Issues with bridge & 5in1
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 10:15:34 AM »
I have both PC Connect and a bridge reporting to MBW, and have never received a "server error" from the iPhone app or on the MBW web site.  The only repeatable issue that I've ever had is that for some reason PC Connect updates seem to stop for over 20 minutes whenever there's a significant weather event here in the northeast.  The bridge keeps updating though, go figure.  Are you using all of your iOS devices over a home wifi?  If so, can you try using the iPhone over the cellular link and see if it makes a difference?

If your home ISP is playing games with DNS redirection for unknown web sites, a slow DNS response for MBW could redirect your app traffic to a web server farm that your ISP runs with their own search engine.  It works for simple cases and web browser traffic, but breaks every other TCP/IP application and could legally be considered connection hijacking if someone wanted to pursue it in court.  Time Warner has been using this for several months locally, and annoyed me enough where I changed over to using Google's free public DNS server at IP address 8.8.8.8 in my router since it responds properly when a name doesn't resolve in a timely fashion.  Anyway, if you don't have a problem over cellular but do over home wifi, this is one thing to try.

Regarding the humidity sensor problem, there is a known problem with 5-in-1 sensors produced before 6/2012 showing erratic humidity readings.  Acu-Rite has extended the warranty for them, and will make it right if you contact customer service.  There are several posts here and in their own online support forums about the "98% humidity" problem, and what the extended warranty procedure is.  My 5-in-1 (purchased 12/2011) has this problem, but I haven't had the inclination to warranty it since I have a second 5-in-1 sensor.  You may also want to give their tech support a crack at your first question, because they might have seen it with other customers.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline cranedog10

Re: Issues with bridge & 5in1
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 01:22:11 PM »
Called acu-rite. 

They said there is currently a known unidentified issue with My back-yard weather mobile app...

Although in regards to changing the DNS I have always used open DNS service:
I tried changing to Google 8.8.8.8 and there was no difference.  If I get a call back from ACU-Rite I will post here...  But my guess is the fix will be on there end and no need to post other than an academic.

anything