Author Topic: Atlas Has Arrived  (Read 20331 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Atlas Has Arrived
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2018, 09:17:21 PM »
Hey folks, happy Atlas day! Barometric pressure readings are sampled in the display. If you go the Access route, the readings are taken in the Access hub.

Any other questions, keep em coming!

Welcome Back!

I imagine many of the newer folks here don't know who you are.  Have you been up to anything lately? ;)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2018, 09:55:15 PM »
Hey folks, happy Atlas day! Barometric pressure readings are sampled in the display. If you go the Access route, the readings are taken in the Access hub.

Any other questions, keep em coming!

When are you guys gonna figure out that there are customers outside the USA?  Pretty much impossible to get Acurote products north of the 49th parallel.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2018, 10:33:09 PM »
Does anyone know if this will work with Metobridge and/or WeatherDisplay?

You would have to sniff the data from the Access's wunderground feed. 

I don't think the author of Meteobridge/Weatherbridge has any plans for that.

Access itself has the potential for supporting other weather networks, but it's up to Acurite to add them.

What is the insane deal with weather station makers insisting that you can only access YOUR DATA from THEIR CHOICE OF WEBSITES? As far as I am concerned this removes Atlas and virtually everything from Ambient Weather from consideration. It is absolutely CHEAPER to just include a USB port and let the OWNER decide what they want to do with THEIR data.

I'm sure that fanboys will screech at me, but AcuRite and Ambient have taken VERY SPECIFIC STEPS TO CONTROL YOUR DATA!
Ecowitt Wittboy| FOSHKplugin on Pi 4

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2018, 10:45:24 PM »
What is the insane deal with weather station makers insisting that you can only access YOUR DATA from THEIR CHOICE OF WEBSITES? As far as I am concerned this removes Atlas and virtually everything from Ambient Weather from consideration. It is absolutely CHEAPER to just include a USB port and let the OWNER decide what they want to do with THEIR data.

I'm sure that fanboys will screech at me, but AcuRite and Ambient have taken VERY SPECIFIC STEPS TO CONTROL YOUR DATA!

Or you could just pull the data directly from the airwaves with RTL_433. 

I expect it won't take long for someone to decode the Atlas transmissions.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2018, 06:57:58 AM »

It does not work with WeatherDisplay and probably not Meteobridge. I'm not sure if Brian plans to support it. Michael Walsh at VisReader has said he is not inclined to support it.  Someone may have to create some software to pull the data from the Access.

How long has the Access been available to the public?  Long enough where third parties could have developed support for harvesting data from it if it was possible?

The old Bridge/SmartHub used to send unencrypted packets to MBW as the sensor readings arrived, making them sniffable on the network.  My understanding of the Access is that it sends only encrypted summary packets to MyAcuRite, at 5 minute (?) intervals.  The only thing being sent out by the Access in real-time is the WU rapid-fire feed, and I'm not sure if that is encrypted in the 21st century or how difficult it would be to man-in-the-middle tap.  I have to throw in a disclaimer that I do not own an Access, since I ruled out purchasing one over these restrictions as I understand them.

Has anyone ever figured out how to tap the Netatmo again ever since they went with encryption?  Just curious, since it is another vendor-locked cloud solution with no provisions for local data access.

I think that the only hope for the Atlas line is for someone to develop rtl_433 support for it to sniff the radio signals from the Atlas.  Now that it is available to the public, hopefully it will not be too long until this happens.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2018, 07:25:51 AM »

Access itself has the potential for supporting other weather networks, but it's up to Acurite to add them.

Sorry I have to step in and defend Ambient Weather. You can very easily upload your data anywhere you want with an Ambient station with a Meteobridge that they sell branded as a WeatherBridge. Couldn't be easier than that. No hacking, no tinkering loading custom firmwares. Just plug and play. Every Ambient station is capable of adding a Meteobridge (or WeatherBridge) by first adding the ObserverIP. They sell and support this solution with excellent customer support.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 07:33:15 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline bdh

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2018, 10:34:30 AM »
Well I bit the bullet on the 18th already have a trouble free access and trouble free hub until Feb, had a 5-1 for 5 + yrs (3 of them) and now have a very nice weather flow station, so like any weather geek could not resist especially at the price , but buyer beware they are planning on charging for the back yard weather , explains surveys , low Hardware price, hope not but time will tell and if the do hope its very reasonable 1-2 dollars a month . Anyway ordered from acurite on 18th and scheduled for delivery on 22.

I think I am going to have to set another pipe in concrete 2" I have is kinda getting full and I got the kit for the Wind Extension so I am wanting to go close to the 30' have 2 inch, 1.5 inch , and 1 inch I can use maybe get by with no guys if i use 200+ lbs of concrete  wife's gonna kill me  #-o

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 10:54:05 AM by bdh »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2018, 10:37:20 AM »
Gonna starting charging to see my own weather?  WTH?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline bdh

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2018, 10:48:46 AM »
I was sent a survey last week from acurite/chaney, maybe 2 weeks ago and was asked what kind of features I would like to see in backyard weather, and if I would be willing to pay and how much. I posted the subject of e-mail in here I will look it up and add a link to this post.
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35048.new;topicseen#new
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 11:09:30 AM by bdh »

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2018, 12:09:53 PM »

Sorry I have to step in and defend Ambient Weather. You can very easily upload your data anywhere you want with an Ambient station with a Meteobridge that they sell branded as a WeatherBridge. Couldn't be easier than that. No hacking, no tinkering loading custom firmwares. Just plug and play. Every Ambient station is capable of adding a Meteobridge (or WeatherBridge) by first adding the ObserverIP. They sell and support this solution with excellent customer support.

Are you drunk or just an employee of Ambient? You are HONESTLY DEFENDING them charging an EXTRA $180 for the WeatherBridge PLUS $37 for the ObserverIP just for the ability to send YOUR DATA WHERE YOU WANT IT?

"Hey guys! For the tidy sum of $216.98 PLUS $9.89 shipping (total of $243.79!) you can actually do whatever YOU WANT WITH YOUR DATA from the weather station that YOU BOUGHT!"

This reply has to be the single most idiotic attempt to defend a company I have ever read in my life!

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2018, 12:23:46 PM »

If anyone Thinks that the ultimate goal is not to strongly encrypt the data so that you can consume it only when and where they want, then you know nothing of software and hardware development. They did NOT invest the money to develop the system this way for no reason - they did so under a calculated plan to keep charging you. Eventually they will charge you monthly just to see the data from the station that you PAID FOR. Netatmo encrypted their packets and were pretty honest that they simply don't care what YOU want to do with YOUR purchased product.

WU takes FREE DATA FROM YOU and now wants to charge you hundreds of dollars per MONTH for the PRIVILEGE of using their API to access the FREE DATA that YOU sent to them. Their next step is to make ALL ACCESS to their website subscription only.

I'm an extra class ham radio operator with a PhD in Electrical Engineering and a PhD in Mechanical Engineering - I can build my own system in my sleep that will allow me to send my data wherever I want, so this does not really affect ME, but I do realize that this will affect the vast majority of weather enthusiasts that wish to provide access to THEIR data on THEIR chosen venue, and THAT is patently, sickeningly WRONG.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2018, 12:26:36 PM »

Are you drunk or just an employee of Ambient? You are HONESTLY DEFENDING them charging an EXTRA $180 for the WeatherBridge PLUS $37 for the ObserverIP just for the ability to send YOUR DATA WHERE YOU WANT IT?

"Hey guys! For the tidy sum of $216.98 PLUS $9.89 shipping (total of $243.79!) you can actually do whatever YOU WANT WITH YOUR DATA from the weather station that YOU BOUGHT!"

This reply has to be the single most idiotic attempt to defend a company I have ever read in my life!

I'm not an employee. Why not own up to your mistake that you made an uninformed inaccurate statement. A WeatherBridge is worth it if you don't have the experience to build a Meteobridge. The WeatherBridge may also be well worth it to someone that needs additional company support. Plus the WeatherBridge comes with an ambientweather.net license. Want it for half the price then make one yourself. The good thing is you have options. But to claim that Ambient Weather doesn't let you publish your data where you want is a false claim when they offer a well supported solution. Needing to add the right hardware/software is not unreasonable. So not sure where you are going with that. When you are wrong you wrong....don't dig yourself deeper.  And this is my last post on this matter. I don't do the back and forth. You can have the last word. What's up with your station at 27 inHg?
Tele-Pole

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2018, 12:32:12 PM »
How do you get the readings onto a website or CWOP? Does the hub output a text file of any kind or are we locked into the AcuRite cloud?

You don't. In exchange for your hard earned money, you get ZERO control over YOUR DATA.

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2018, 12:33:33 PM »

No, it does not work with either one.

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2018, 12:42:07 PM »
I was sent a survey last week from acurite/chaney, maybe 2 weeks ago and was asked what kind of features I would like to see in backyard weather, and if I would be willing to pay and how much. I posted the subject of e-mail in here I will look it up and add a link to this post.
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35048.new;topicseen#new

Just as I stated, AcuRite is moving to CHARGING YOU to see YOUR DATA anywhere OUTSIDE OF YOUR HOME. Give them time, they will stop selling displays at all to force those foolish enough to give them money to actually SEE the data at all from THEIR station that THEY PAID FOR.

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2018, 01:00:26 PM »

I'm not an employee. Why not own up to your mistake that you made an uninformed inaccurate statement. A WeatherBridge is worth it if you don't have the experience to build a Meteobridge. The WeatherBridge may also be well worth it to someone that needs additional company support. Plus the WeatherBridge comes with an ambientweather.net license. Want it for half the price then make one yourself. The good thing is you have options. But to claim that Ambient Weather doesn't let you publish your data where you want is a false claim when they offer a well supported solution. Needing to add the right hardware/software is not unreasonable. So not sure where you are going with that. When you are wrong you wrong....don't dig yourself deeper.  And this is my last post on this matter. I don't do the back and forth. You can have the last word. What's up with your station at 27 inHg?

Let's address your ad hominem attack FIRST. I have TWO PhD's - one in Electrical Engineering and one in Mechanical Engineering, so your patently false assertion regarding my skills and knowledge is nothing less than indicative of your inability to address the real issue, thus you choose to attack the person rather than the issue. Pathetic! I'm not surprised as the typical fanboi really has nothing more than false logic to rely upon.

Second, you are patently LYING when you claim that I falsely stated that "Ambient Weather doesn't let you publish your data where you want" - they CHARGE EXTRA AND REQUIRE you to purchase THIRD PARTY EQUIPMENT. Thus, AmbientWeather DOES NOT let you you publish your data where you want.  The makers of MeteoBridge allow you to publish your data where THEY want, but even then they require you to pay for updates after two years. Tell me genius, how does forcing me to purchase third-party equipment to send my data where I want equate to giving me freedom of choice over my data?

The corollary would be for you to purchase a car, but the manufacturer would only allow you to drive it to a select group of pre-defined destinations unless you PAID THEM EXTRA for the PRIVILEGE of using the car that YOU PAID FOR to travel where YOU want.

I will own up to stating THE TRUTH, your inability to comprehend said truth is on you. Your refusal to continue discussing the matter in indicative of a closed mind. Being as YOU have made it perfectly clear that you are only capable of initiating ad hominem attacks, I am through discussing this with you, however, my decision to disengage is based upon the intelligence that it's fruitless to engage with those that cannot stick to the FACTS and attack the PERSON instead.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2018, 01:51:38 PM »

If anyone Thinks that the ultimate goal is not to strongly encrypt the data so that you can consume it only when and where they want, then you know nothing of software and hardware development. They did NOT invest the money to develop the system this way for no reason - they did so under a calculated plan to keep charging you. Eventually they will charge you monthly just to see the data from the station that you PAID FOR. Netatmo encrypted their packets and were pretty honest that they simply don't care what YOU want to do with YOUR purchased product.

WU takes FREE DATA FROM YOU and now wants to charge you hundreds of dollars per MONTH for the PRIVILEGE of using their API to access the FREE DATA that YOU sent to them. Their next step is to make ALL ACCESS to their website subscription only.

I'm an extra class ham radio operator with a PhD in Electrical Engineering and a PhD in Mechanical Engineering - I can build my own system in my sleep that will allow me to send my data wherever I want, so this does not really affect ME, but I do realize that this will affect the vast majority of weather enthusiasts that wish to provide access to THEIR data on THEIR chosen venue, and THAT is patently, sickeningly WRONG.

Unless the sensor transmitters start incorporating OTPs, we've nothing to worry about.

What bubblegum machine did you get your "degrees" from?  :roll:

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2018, 02:39:07 PM »
While cannons are being wheeled into position and the air is still relatively free of smoke, I'd like to add my concern over the trend of companies, essentially, licensing your weather data to you. I get that, for competitive reasons, they spent money building a cloud infrastructure. But what's the harm in ALSO allowing the data to go wherever else the end user wishes? It's been argued that the hardware is subsidized. Indeed, compare the price of the Atlas to a Davis VP2 Plus, it's closest competitor based solely on features. What about offering a non-subsidized option where the owner actually owns the data and chooses where it goes? I know... so old fashioned!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 02:48:03 PM by openvista »
Davis Vantage Pro2 AC FARS | https://marquetteweather.com | EW7933

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2018, 02:50:31 PM »
While cannons are being wheeled into position and the air is still free of smoke, I'd like to add my concern over the trend of companies, essentially, licensing your weather data to you. I get that, for competitive reasons, they spent money building a cloud infrastructure. But what's the harm in ALSO allowing the data to go wherever else the end user wishes? It's been argued that the hardware is subsidized. Indeed, compare the price of the Atlas to a Davis VP2 Plus, it's closest competitor based solely on features. Fair enough, but what about offering a non-subsidized option where the owner actually owns the data and chooses where it goes? Of course, that would expose the true cost of the device and, therefore, just how valuable your data is to Acurite.

There's no hardware subsidy going on. 

For example, you can buy an Atlas sensor and display with no internet connectivity at all.  It's the same with many other brands of weather stations.

They certainly aren't going to be selling those unconnected systems at a loss.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2018, 04:09:34 PM »

For comparison, Scaled Instruments can hook you up with a Davis Envoy and USB logger for only $239 plus $11 or so in ground shipping.  If you already have a Davis console, then you only need the $117 USB logger to access your data locally.  Just throwing it out there for another vendor's pricing model comparison.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2018, 04:54:37 PM »
There's no hardware subsidy going on. 

For example, you can buy an Atlas sensor and display with no internet connectivity at all.  It's the same with many other brands of weather stations.

They certainly aren't going to be selling those unconnected systems at a loss.

Given that Acurite must know that the vast majority of people don't want an unconnected weather station now, I'd characterize the screen-only option as a loss leader (EDIT: or at least a very low margin sale that they hope will result in upgrades in the future). While it may be true that Davis over charges for aging hardware, there appears to be about a $500 difference between an Atlas and a similarly configured VP2 Plus (using Scaled Instruments pricing which is lower than most). Even if we assume the Atlas has worse specs and, therefore, inferior parts (although it could be that Acurite is more conservative/honest in their specs than Davis), that's a HUGE disparity not easily explained.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:06:07 PM by openvista »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2018, 05:06:06 PM »
Given that Acurite must know that the vast majority of people don't want an unconnected weather station now, I'd characterize the screen-only option as a loss leader.

That's quite a claim. 

What evidence do you have that "the vast majority of people don't want an unconnected weather station"?

Do you really think all those screen-only 5n1 systems sold at WalMart and other big-box stores are loss leaders? 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2018, 05:14:41 PM »
Let us please get back on topic and discuss the Atlas...

nincehelser,
Is there anything you can share now that was previously covered under NDA?

I'd also like to know what temp/hum sensor is inside the Atlas.

Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2018, 05:27:20 PM »
Let us please get back on topic and discuss the Atlas...

nincehelser,
Is there anything you can share now that was previously covered under NDA?

I'd also like to know what temp/hum sensor is inside the Atlas.

Nothing particularly interesting that I can think of right now.  What we spoke of with regards to the future is still covered by NDA, of course.

Maybe later we can do a more in-depth tear-down and take some photos, though.  (Hopefully better than what the FCC testing facility provided)

The Temp/Humidity sensor is an SHT31.

Personally, I'd like to disassemble the anemometer and see if it is using a Hall effect sensor or not.

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2018, 05:31:36 PM »
Given that Acurite must know that the vast majority of people don't want an unconnected weather station now, I'd characterize the screen-only option as a loss leader.

That's quite a claim. 

What evidence do you have that "the vast majority of people don't want an unconnected weather station"?

Do you really think all those screen-only 5n1 systems sold at WalMart and other big-box stores are loss leaders?

Look, I'm a developer and a tech business owner. Internet phones and apps are ubiquitous even among folks with limited means. People considering a base $250 weather station (still at the upper end of mass market systems) are likely either going to pop for the hub (an extra $99) or wait and see. Either way, the idea they can get a really nice weather station for $250 is what gets them in the door with Acurite where they can be upsold either immediately or over time. The screen-only folks serve as word-of-mouth for additional sales too.

I edited my post above to clarify that I don't think they are actually losing money, rather they are risking a very low margin sale to get a higher margin one (especially if they start charging for the cloud data or decide to sell the data to Big Data companies).

Your comparison to 5-in-1 systems isn't valid. 5-in-1s aren't Atlases. Different market segment and revenue model.