Author Topic: How to set static IP  (Read 2199 times)

Offline phelgren

How to set static IP
« on: January 14, 2016, 04:11:53 PM »
Sorry if this has been asked an answered multiple times but I can't figure out how to set the IP address on the console/datalogger.  The console is connected to the network.  The network has NO DHCP server on it.  ALL addresses are manually assigned.  I figured that the console itself would have a settings panel to enter the IP but I haven't found it.  The software assumes that DHCP allocated an IP to the device either dynamically or statically.   I don't have that option.

I see plenty of references that say "I set the static IP" but never describe *how*.  Can someone point me to the instructions?  It has to be simple...I just can't find it.  Thanks!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: How to set static IP
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 04:31:47 PM »
Connect it first to a network that does have DHCP and set your preferred static IP address there. Be sure to get the network credentials correct though!
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 04:32:00 PM »
I think the easiest way to do this would be through WeatherLink.

Setup > Communications Port > TCP/IP

Then just set it as a loopback address 1270.0.1 under Remote IP Address. It should resolve to the computer which is listening for the data.

That should work but don't hold me to it. Otherwise you can play around with it until you find a combination that works. I do think you can set the IP via WeatherLink though.

Offline phelgren

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 04:42:58 PM »
I think the loopback will find my local loopback address on the PC before it finds another.  JohnD may be right, the only way to assign an IP is through DHCP.  Not a big fan of DHCP on a small secure network though...

Can anyone confirm that the device ID is the MAC address?  It looks like one.  I might be able to get a DHCP server online long enough to assign JUST that address.

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 04:54:03 PM »
I think the loopback will find my local loopback address on the PC before it finds another.

Not exactly because you're setting the console to send data to any computer on the network which is listening for the request. That is the purpose of a loopback address.

If that doesn't work, you can always set a static address instead of a loopback. Keep in mind, this sets the console, not the PC.

JohnD may be right, the only way to assign an IP is through DHCP.  Not a big fan of DHCP on a small secure network though...

Can anyone confirm that the device ID is the MAC address?  It looks like one.  I might be able to get a DHCP server online long enough to assign JUST that address.

The problem with that is you're putting the device on a separate network to set an IP address. That is not going to stay when you bring it back to your network because it won't recognize the MAC address on the network you're wanting it on. Static IPs are set by the MAC address.

Yes, the device ID is the MAC address. If you know the MAC address then you can set a static IP in the gateway via the MAC address which is where the static IPs for the network will be set anyways.

Where is this setup at?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 04:56:45 PM »
Can anyone confirm that the device ID is the MAC address?

Yes, I think so. There is a way of assigning a static IP directly I believe but I don't know the network black magic to do so. But it's usually far simpler just to connect it briefly to a DHCP equipped LAN and do the initial configuration there.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 05:03:24 PM »
I just verified with Angry IP that the MAC is equal to the DID on the label of the WLIP.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 05:06:06 PM »
But it's usually far simpler just to connect it briefly to a DHCP equipped LAN and do the initial configuration there.

The only issue with doing it that way is if it issues an IP of a device that already exists on the network it will be going on then you will run into an IP conflict.

You will need to know the scope in which the static IPs are set. Then on the DHCP network make sure it assigns an IP outside of the scope to not run into an IP conflict.

Offline phelgren

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 05:39:42 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  My laptop, the WLIP datalogger and a couple of other servers are all on the network on a single switch with a gateway to Internet.  I couldn't figure out how to assign the IP manually, despite the helpful hints,  so rather than spin my wheels I downloaded "Tiny DHCP Server" to my laptop and when I started it up, it immediately saw a DHCP request from the WLIP (which I knew because it matched the Device ID/MAC) So I assigned the address permanently and then shut down the DHCP server. 

So all is well.  The WLIP is online and now I get to start playing a bit.

Again, thanks for the quick responses.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 03:25:10 AM »
The only issue with doing it that way is if it issues an IP of a device that already exists on the network it will be going on then you will run into an IP conflict.

You will need to know the scope in which the static IPs are set. Then on the DHCP network make sure it assigns an IP outside of the scope to not run into an IP conflict.

It sounds like the OP's original problem is now resolved, but just to round this out, let me spell out my previous suggestion in a little more detail:

1. Decide on the IP address that you wish the logger to have. (If there's no DHCP server on the network then presumably the user is in full control of the specific addresses they wish to use and can ensure uniqueness?)
2. Fire up the logger on a network that does have DHCP.
3. Identify the IP address that the logger has temporarily acquired (Weatherlink software or eg AngryIP) and open the logger's web interface in a browser.
4. Assign the preferred IP as a static IP (and gateway and subnet mask etc), double-check credentials and save back to the logger.
5. Return logger to primary network.

Is there some reason why this shouldn't work?

Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 10:24:25 AM »

It sounds like the OP's original problem is now resolved, but just to round this out, let me spell out my previous suggestion in a little more detail:

1. Decide on the IP address that you wish the logger to have. (If there's no DHCP server on the network then presumably the user is in full control of the specific addresses they wish to use and can ensure uniqueness?)
2. Fire up the logger on a network that does have DHCP.
3. Identify the IP address that the logger has temporarily acquired (Weatherlink software or eg AngryIP) and open the logger's web interface in a browser.
4. Assign the preferred IP as a static IP (and gateway and subnet mask etc), double-check credentials and save back to the logger.
5. Return logger to primary network.

Is there some reason why this shouldn't work?

It is a good procedure in my opinion.
I wonder if there is some kind of default IP built into a virgin WLIP. Some systems have DHCP enabled, but have a 2nd "safety" IP address. MeteoBridge/Hub and Blitzortung RED come to mind.

Greg H.

Offline phelgren

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 10:45:22 AM »
Ah!  OK.  NOW I get it.  I didn't realize that the logger had a web interface.  I know the WLIP has a fat client (Windows) application but the logger itself?...good information and that clarifies the issue.

I noticed that my DHCP assigned IP was set to "Obtain an IP Address Automatically." on the "WeatherLinkIP Configuration" web page so I changed it to statically assigned.  That should keep it safe!

Sorry for the noob misunderstanding.  The Davis documentation isn't all that clear.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 02:30:29 PM »
Ah!  OK.  NOW I get it.  I didn't realize that the logger had a web interface.  I know the WLIP has a fat client (Windows) application but the logger itself?...good information and that clarifies the issue.

The web interface is the very simple orange background form that enables Fixed vs. DHCP, uploads to Weatherlink.com and not much more else. There is the unfortunately named (confusing) and retro-looking "Weatherlink" program that runs on Windows. Weatherlink.com is a site with control capability for handling subsequent uploads to CWOP and WU (GLOBE too) and some miscellaneous settings.

Greg H.