Author Topic: WU PWS Location Issues  (Read 1039 times)

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
WU PWS Location Issues
« on: June 10, 2019, 02:28:55 PM »
FWIW...info from WU UG.

Offline NickInOz

Re: WU PWS Location Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 11:35:34 PM »
Could this be causing the issue on my PWS as per attached screenshot?

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 12:50:21 PM »
This is a message on the WU Feedback & Support site:

"PWS Location Services Issues
We are aware a of an issue that is causing current conditions to be displayed from weather stations that may be far away from the location the page is displaying.  We have released a fix, and we are waiting for all caching layers to clear completely.  This should be complete by Wednesday, June 12th.

We will update this message on June 12th with additional information.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards,
The WU Team"

I am thinking we need to wait until Wednesday or beyond.
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 03:07:42 PM »
Still picking up the wrong PWS entry when you try to save your own as "home" or "favorite".  I'm pretty sure they don't care anymore.

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 10:27:55 AM »
Trying to be positive.  An update from the Feedback & Support page:

PWS Location Services Issues
Update 4pm PT Jun 12 2019:
The fix continues to make its way through our caches and we anticipate full resolution by Thurs, June 13th at Noon PT.

Most of my "Favorites" seem to be working properly but not all of them. I have also noticed that the "Nearby Weather Stations" listing at the bottom of the page is now showing (after a delay) nearby stations and the Updated column is showing actual times. However we did have .08 rain this morning, not the -- that is showing.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I am also seeing decimals in the temp columns there but not on my station's Summary page.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:29:44 AM by Notsorusty »
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline bvstation

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 08:08:04 PM »
I have two stations, mine and another about a mile up road and the sucker won't let me stay locked in on mine on the app.
It even calls it a different name even now.
So if that is what they are trying to fix they have so far failed to get it right.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 09:10:10 PM »
Update 4pm PT Jun 13 2019:
Only a small portion of users should be experiencing any issues.  Any remaining problems should resolve by Friday, June 14th at Noon PT.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 11:28:31 PM »
I have two stations, mine and another about a mile up road and the sucker won't let me stay locked in on mine on the app.
So if that is what they are trying to fix they have so far failed to get it right.
There is a very high density of PWSs in my area...12 or more within a mile radius of me.  WU's "geolocation" can't resolve them using two decimal place degrees coordinates so it just tosses up whatever it wants instead of the one you save.  The galloping incompetence here is stunning.

Offline bvstation

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 08:31:46 AM »
There is a very high density of PWSs in my area...12 or more within a mile radius of me.  WU's "geolocation" can't resolve them using two decimal place degrees coordinates so it just tosses up whatever it wants instead of the one you save.  The galloping incompetence here is stunning.

Yeah I'm not allowing the phone to use my location - I'm selecting the station manually though still wrong name and doesn't save..goes to the newer one which is dumb too. Mine has been active for 2-3 years now.

Offline bvstation

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 03:23:57 PM »
June 15th and they said as of yesterday still had a few or would be solved.
Mine shows 59 degrees when its really 82 - it doesn't show the name of mine as it should. It doesn't save to the widget degrees showing on the phone.
What in the world? Is there a way to tell them my ID so they can fix it?
Doesn't make sense why I can't get it to save to my location manually either.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 04:36:57 PM »
Yeah I'm not allowing the phone to use my location

I'm not either, and I'm talking about the website where I save my own PWS and get some random one within a couple miles when I click on that link.  This has been broken for well over a year and given the lack of attention to it and the fact that it saves lat/lon with only two decimals of resolution for degrees and no the PWS ID now I don't expect it to be fixed.  They just don't care.

anything