Author Topic: Questions Re: adding a surface water temp sensor to 6153 VP2  (Read 4238 times)

Offline KA8MAV

• Lake Holiday Weather Station
Questions Re: adding a surface water temp sensor to 6153 VP2
« on: March 23, 2008, 12:10:30 PM »
Hi.  I've been asked to add a surface water temp sensor to monitor the surface temp of our lake.  What would be the best way to do this?

I've been looking at the following:

Davis Instruments 6345
Wireless Leaf & Soil Moisture/Temperature Station
http://www.ambientweather.com/dawilesomost.html

With the following:
Davis Instruments 6470 Temperature Probe
http://www.ambientweather.com/teprvapro.html

*OR*

Davis Instruments 6372 Vantage Pro2 Wireless Temperature Station
http://www.ambientweather.com/dain63vaprwi.html

The 6372 isn't solar powered, but is cheaper.

Obviously, I'll have to mount the probe itself on a float with it submerged just at/below the water's surface.

Which would be the best way to add the water temp sensor?  Would both of these solutions work with my system?  Is the probe itself 100% waterproof?

Has anyone done something like this already?  Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!
NWS ID: AS879

Hardware: Davis 6153 Vantage Pro2 with 24hr FARS & 6345/6470, Boltek Stormtracker PCI
Software: SERIAL datalogger with Virtual VP, VWS w/ VWSAPRS, Weatherlink, Weather Display, NexStorm w/ Discharge, etc.<br>
Lake Holiday Weather - www.Lake-Holiday.net/weather/

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
Re: Questions Re: adding a surface water temp sensor to 6153 VP2
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 01:19:10 PM »
I would go for the 6345 and a 6470 --->http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/spec_sheets/6470_Spec_Rev_F.pdf. It shows the accuacy of the probe in air and also in liquid which I would assume it would be ok to use in liquid. It says in the PDF that it is epoxy encapulated which should be waterproof. Also on Ambients web page for the 6470, it shows it measures the temp in air, soil and water. Only problem I can see is UV. Best way is to use a post mounted in the water. I am assuming you want to take the readings on a lake. You would eliminate the UV problem if you installed the sensor on the North side of the post. I have seen this done before on lakes in Alaska. They would also put the sensor in a tube mounted to the North side of a post which would keep the water calm and debris away. There would be a float attached to the top of the sensor which would then float up and down inside the tube as the water level flucuated. Hope this helps. I am considering doing the same thing for my Koi pond so I can monitor the temp of the 15,000 gal pond from inside.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 01:32:12 PM by prvrt »
Davis Instruments 6163-Wireless VantagePro2 Plus w/wireless Anemometer, Software = Weather Display
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 01:30:31 AM »
I don't know if this thread helps you but...

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=1173.0

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 08:41:02 AM »
Where ever you decide to purchase the unit Davis, Ambient Weather etc. Why not ask the sales person. I'm sure the people at Davis can help you for sure.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline KA8MAV

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 10:44:35 AM »
Thanks for all the input.  I think I'll go with the 6345 and a 6470 and see how it goes as that looks like the best option.  Figuring out exactly how to mount the probe is going to be a bit of a project but it shouldn't be too difficult.  I'll let you all know how it works out.

Hardware: Davis 6153 Vantage Pro2 with 24hr FARS & 6345/6470, Boltek Stormtracker PCI
Software: SERIAL datalogger with Virtual VP, VWS w/ VWSAPRS, Weatherlink, Weather Display, NexStorm w/ Discharge, etc.<br>

Offline tbweather

• Contributor
    • Tawas Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 01:31:53 PM »
I've got the 6370 wireless temperature station for a VP1 that I've used for about 4 years. The battery lasts for about a year before it needs replacing. The water temperature probe is in a pretty active spot off the end of a dock so I mount the probe on a stake that is driven into the lake bottom and is inside a PVC pipe with holes punched in it to allow water flow. The pipe helps protect the probe from damage from wave action.

So far this set up has worked pretty well. The probe is pulled each winter when the lake ices up and I clean it thoroughly at that time. The probe does collect algae so it should probably be cleaned regularly.

Offline KA8MAV

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 09:45:14 PM »
Today I bought the the 6345 and a 6470.  I'm still curious about exactly how to mount the temp probe.  The local DNR guy wants the "surface" temperature of the lake.  That could get tricky having the probe on a float.  I'll figure it out. 

Thanks for all the help on this one.  I really appreciate all the input.

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 09:54:39 PM »
Today I bought the the 6345 and a 6470.  I'm still curious about exactly how to mount the temp probe.  The local DNR guy wants the "surface" temperature of the lake.  That could get tricky having the probe on a float.  I'll figure it out. 

Thanks for all the help on this one.  I really appreciate all the input.

Try a styrofoam ball for the float inside a 3"-4" dia ABS or PVC pipe with the sensor suspended below the ball by running the wire through the center of the ball. You can then adjust the probe depth by adjusting the wire going through the ball. Surface temp is up to interpertation. Water temp does drop the deeper you go, but with waves, the top few feet are pretty much the same.
Davis Instruments 6163-Wireless VantagePro2 Plus w/wireless Anemometer, Software = Weather Display
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline KA8MAV

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 10:26:53 PM »
That's exactly what I was thinking about trying.  Regarding the temp... we are on the "busy" / main part of the lake.  Get 20 folks out there tubing and yea, we get some serious waves at our dock.  Whatever I decide on, it has to be inside a piece of PVC with holes drilled just to keep things "about right". 

One good thing is... we're on the South side of the lake.  So, I'll mount the probe under my dock to keep UV from heating the probe.  I guess that would make it a water-cooled temp sensor.   \:D/
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 10:44:39 PM by KA8MAV »

Offline KA8MAV

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 10:45:25 AM »
So far so good.  It works.  But I'm wondering if I *have* to set it up as a "Leaf & Soil" as it gives me the "Soil" temperature.  I've renamed things on the web page, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it set up as a temp only station that shows up as extra temp sensors.  Any ideas?  It works like this, but I'd like it if it was just an extra temp sensor rather than Soil.