Author Topic: link to old station not working, help finding new station  (Read 2471 times)

Offline mercury187

link to old station not working, help finding new station
« on: May 05, 2009, 04:38:11 PM »
Hi, we have a Davis Wizard II or maybe it was WizardIII, anyway we had a power outage in our office and the pc will no longer communicate with the console. The console is able to get data from the station just fine but our serial link is no longer working. We would like to buy a new weather station but it must be able to publish the data to our website just like our Davis WizardIII, I was looking at the Davis Vantage Pro2 wired version but would like to find some alternatives. Can you guys help?
Thanks

Offline TorH

• Forecaster
    • Været på Fauske
Re: link to old station not working, help finding new station
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 06:12:47 AM »
I don't have any alternatives for you, but i just will tell you that i have a wireless VP2 and i am very satisfied with that, it's a great station  :-)
I also noticed that many other Davis VP2 users is happy whith their stations.
That was my PR. for the Davis vp2  ;)

Back to your wizard station, when it's reciving the data from the sensors and showing the values, i suppose there is something whit your serialport or com setting, just a thougt  :?:
Davis Vantage PRO2 wireless
VWS V14.00 p103, WD ver.10.37N, WL 5.8.2, VVP.
WeatherFlash
DW1549
WeatherUnderground: INORDLAN14
http://bjornli.net                     

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 07:30:00 AM »
I use an OS WMR-968. It as served me well for the 6+ years that I've owned it. Escellent station for the price.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 07:53:48 AM »
The console is able to get data from the station just fine but our serial link is no longer working.
Have you found the problem to be with the data logger, cable, or PC port?
Have you tested your PC serial port with another serial device?  A new wx station may not fix the problem.

You can't beat Davis.  If the problem is found to be with the data link, contact Davis Techs for their suggestion on repair/replace.  They are always helpful which is another reason for staying with Davis.  I have the VP (original), the VP2+ wireless, and a VP2 wired.  All are operating perfectly.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline mercury187

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 12:34:26 PM »
Well, what we have is a long cable run between the display console and the PC. Whoever set up the station initially used some type of powered amplifier or something, what they did was take some cat5 and then expose all the wires and then connect them to these little serial boxes that you plug into the wall, I guess they used these to amp up the signal a bit since the cable is so long. It's hard to say if the problem is with one of the little powered serial boxes or the PC itself, I don't really have any other serial devices to try and I don't have any other powered serial boxes. I don't think Davis would be able to help me either since these powered serial boxes aren't their product. 

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 09:09:20 AM »

If you have a laptop with a serial port, you could at least rule out a damaged console. Why replace it if it is not damaged?

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 10:40:52 AM »
You need the services of a technician.  Update your profile with your location and someone near you may offer on site help.
The power failure may have damaged the cable amps or the power supplies to those amps.  Check for blown fuses on the amps/power supplies.  Temporarily connect a lamp at the AC socket to verify that power is on at the AC socket the amps use.
Can you relocate the console or the computer nearer to each other just for testing?  Use a new cable.  A short cable run between the console and the computer will verify the cable is good/bad.  You already said the console and the station are both functioning OK.
I suggest a DavisVP wireless.  Locate the VP console near the computer and a long cable run isn't needed.  Other brands wireless, same setup.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.