Weather Software > WeatherLink/weatherlink.com by Davis Instruments

Weatherlink.com 2.0 announced

(1/62) > >>

johnd:
WL.com v2 should start to go live as from tomorrow. If you're about to fire up a new Connect or IP logger registration it might be in your interest to hold off doing so until Wednesday to be sure of registering on the new service (assuming things go to plan of course). This doesn't apply to existing users who will be migrated over the coming months.

I've written a quick blog post for UK users.

PaulMy:
Thanks John for the update, and your blog is excellent.  One question?

--- Quote ---Free weatherlink.com 2.0 accounts can be created by any user with an email address via the Signup button at weatherlink.com and before even owning a Davis station. Owning a free account will be mandatory to view data on browser or smartphone app;
--- End quote ---
I presume this applies only to existing weatherlink.com users - i.e. users free with weatherlinkIP or other WL users who have a paid subscription to weatherlink.com.  Is that correct?

Enjoy,
Paul

johnd:

--- Quote from: PaulMy on November 27, 2017, 05:11:52 PM ---I presume this applies only to existing weatherlink.com users - i.e. users free with weatherlinkIP or other WL users who have a paid prescription to weatherlink.com.  Is that correct?
--- End quote ---

Remember this is going to happen in two phases:

Phase I: New registrants to wl.com will see v2, but existing users will continue as is;

Phase II: Existing users will be migrated across to v2 by June 2018, maybe sooner;

This is reasonably sensible and understandable I think. Accommodating only new users to start with will allow numbers to slowly build up and Davis can judge server loads etc etc. And the migration process possibly isn't totally finished and tested as yet; and even when it is, it's still probably prudent to move existing users across in batches.

One of the things that's not 100% clear as yet (to me at least) is how (local) Weatherlink users who don't currently upload to wl.com can start to take advantage of their new apparently free access to wl.com Basic. There's a small process to be explained hereabout exactly how this will work and maybe it won't happen for a bit yet, but once that's done then I've not seen anything to suggest that everyone running local WL won't be able to upload for free to wl.com, at least within the limitations of the Basic plan.

These details might become clearer later in the week.

Central Maine Weather:
Thanks for the heads up John. I have had my Davis VP2 for about 4 years now and just recently considered beginning to upload to weatherlink.com, so knowing this info now, I will wait and see what comes about over the coming weeks.

- Matt

Old Tele man:
JohnD -- Does this change (eventually) mean that PC-based systems are headed for elimination and phone-based systems have become the "darlings"?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version