Author Topic: ambientweather.net vs www.weatherlink.com  (Read 2732 times)

Offline MNBobcat

ambientweather.net vs www.weatherlink.com
« on: October 09, 2018, 08:12:34 PM »
Hi All,

I've been away for a long time.  I have a Davis Vantage Pro2 station.  It appears there are now 2 cloud based options for weather monitoring software.   Davis' weatherlink (weatherlink.com) which has a monthly fee and ambientweather.net which appears to be free but also requires I purchase weatherbridge hardware for $179.00.  I'm fine with paying for the hardware if need be.

What I would like to know is have any of you tried out both offerings and which software did you like better and why?

I would like to be able to view data from our weather station from my iphone, too.

Also, one of the main things I'm looking for is an easy display that will show me the strongest wind gust in say the last 24 hours.

Interested in hearing your thoughts!  Thank you!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: ambientweather.net vs www.weatherlink.com
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 10:19:58 AM »
A few thoughts... weatherlink.com is free, although there are some paid teired plans. Most people I've read about around this forum seem to be satisfied with the free plan. Sharing your data with others requires those other individuals to register and log in to their free account (no hardware required).

I should clarify that the free weatherlink plan is only for live data. If you want to see charts/graphs and data then it requires at least the Pro plan.

Ambientweather.net as you pointed out is free. It includes graphs and data for a full year. As you pointed out you'll need a WeatherBridge or a Meteobridge with added license.

You make it sound like those are the only 2 online options worth considering. Are you not already reporting to any other online services? What is your current setup? What software? What logger?

I don't think anyone can recommend one of these two over the other without knowing more of what is important to you. Like who other than you needs to see the data? Both update every minute. The look is different. Ambientweather.net is functional but I think Weatherlink.com looks more polished. Let us know what else is important to you.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 11:46:10 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole