Author Topic: Sugestions on preventive maintenance before installing new 5 in 1?  (Read 927 times)

Offline NinnJinn

I will be installing my new 5 in 1 this weekend.  Is there any preventive maintenance suggestions you would like to share to hopefully extend the life of the 5 in 1 and reduce aggravation as much as possible?  This weekend will be the last of "Nice temp weather"  I hope to be inside sipping on hot cocoa watching the PWS work this winter rather than freezing while trying to figure out what is wrong with it.  :lol:

Batteries will not be a problem,  I want to know what the weather is like where I am standing, NOT 32 feet up in the air.  So the 5 in 1 will be 5' 6" above ground.

I have heard about applying a light coat of WD-40 to help combat Ice and Snow build up,  But would like to hear comments from folks here who have actually done this.

Should I use some lube or graphite to the anemometer or wind vane before installing it for the first time?  or Should I just leave well enough alone?  :grin:

What do you use/do to keep snow from building up in rain cup?

In my area,  99% of the time, Winter Weather starts out as rain then changes over to freezing rain then periodically we actually get snow.   To keep everything from freezing up,  I thought about using heat tape/wrap.  Suggestions?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Sugestions on preventive maintenance before installing new 5 in 1?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 11:27:54 PM »
No.  No. Nothing.  Not sure you could fit a heater in there.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 08:23:54 AM »
It's hard to say what to do (if anything) to the anemometer. I would recommend leaving it alone and see if it is working right the way it is for now, and if it gets "stiff" where you see the wind is blowing and the cups aren't spinning, think about dry graphite. Do not expect high wind readings at all at that height though... especially with houses, trees around.

Offline NinnJinn

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 10:05:17 AM »
It's hard to say what to do (if anything) to the anemometer. I would recommend leaving it alone and see if it is working right the way it is for now, and if it gets "stiff" where you see the wind is blowing and the cups aren't spinning, think about dry graphite. Do not expect high wind readings at all at that height though... especially with houses, trees around.

Thank you for the reply. And yes I'm aware I will not be getting high wind speeds. If I do it's time to hit the bunker. LOL

My house will be blocking the wind coming out of the Northwest (25ft from the weather station) but I have roughly 80 to 85 feet in all of the other directions before the nearest house and at least 100 feet before a tree.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 09:35:43 AM »
Really there's nothing you can do, just make sure you use quality batteries like Duracell or Energizer and bring it down at least once a year to inspect and clean any debris inside and make sure your fan is operating.

Really the 5n1 is a robust unit I've had mine up for two years this December 2017 and im still on the same Duracell batteries!! haven't had one issue with it it's been trouble free always working always sending it's signal out, also a friend of mine is on his original batteries also and hasn't had a problem.

good luck and enjoy! make sure you register it for your warranty.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access