Author Topic: New 6163 station - wind sensor port nonfunctional  (Read 5173 times)

Offline flainn

Re: New 6163 station - wind sensor port nonfunctional
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 10:28:22 AM »
Were you able to verify that there is no "Wind Station" set in the console? Not saying that you did this, maybe it came that way...
It is worth eliminating as a possibility, since it would give the same symptoms due to a non-existent Anemometer Transmitter.

Greg H.

I have not yet -- I didn't get a chance to look at it last night due to family activities. But I did get ahold of Davis' tech support on the phone, and they asked me to call when I'm sitting in front of the console. I'll try to do that this evening. Will report back.
--
Davis Vantage Pro 2; Raspberry Pi 3B running Raspbian 9

Offline flainn

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 05:31:29 PM »
Okay.

I finally got the chance to speak with Davis' technical support while I was in front of the ISS and console. We couldn't get any output from the anemometer, but based upon our testing it is not entirely clear whether the issue is with the anemometer itself or with the transmitter. Davis is sending me a test cable and wants me to report back the results of testing with it as soon as I can do so.

I did check for dielectric grease (didn't see any) and cleaned both the female and male ends of the wind connector with alcohol and a Q-tip; no difference observed.

I also checked for any other stations configured; none were.

So at this point it looks like I've got a hardware failure; all that remains is to determine where.
--

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 05:38:38 PM »
...... I then did some basic testing. I plugged the anemometer into the rain sensor port and spun the anemometer; data registered as rain. But when I plugged the anemometer back into the wind port, I get nothing.

I also plugged other sensors into the wind port (such as the rain sensor, which is a simple momentary switch -- should work to masquerade as an anemometer). But I get nothing even when plugging any other sensor into the wind port.

This is really close to the diagnosis that you will do with the test cable.  But it's good that Davis is sending one, and you can confirm the diagnosis.

Offline flainn

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 07:15:50 PM »
This is really close to the diagnosis that you will do with the test cable.  But it's good that Davis is sending one, and you can confirm the diagnosis.

What convinced the guy at Davis to send me a cable, I think, was that he asked me to perform the same test (plugging the anemometer into the rain port, and spinning it). But this time we couldn't get any output. He also had me use a paperclip to short all four pins in the wind port, on/off/on/off, for about five seconds -- no output doing that either. But when I did the same thing with a paperclip in the rain port, we immediately got 80 inches/hour and "raining cats and dogs."

So, it definitely looks like the port is malfunctioning, but the anemometer might be too.
--

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2017, 01:53:49 AM »
Interesting. Definitely be following the outcome.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline flainn

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 12:41:39 PM »
 The test cable arrived. With it connected, I can get wind speed of ~18 mph and a bearing of 180. So the problem is with the anemometer.

The guy at Davis said that's really unusual, but is sending me a replacement anemometer.
--

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 04:44:50 PM »
The test cable arrived. With it connected, I can get wind speed of ~18 mph and a bearing of 180. So the problem is with the anemometer.

The guy at Davis said that's really unusual, but is sending me a replacement anemometer.

Yes, very unusual.  But shows the value of getting and using the test cable.

Thanks for the report - please come back and report the good results with the new anemometer.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 07:26:43 PM »
Yes, thanks for keeping us updated.

I hope for the best, but after all your other testing I'm not fully convinced the anemometer is the [whole] problem.

Electronics can do strange things, especially if there is coincidentally more than one problem, and one or more of those problems are intermittent.

Frustrating and unusual on a new station, but at least you're not likely to get more bad parts.  Unless you're really unlucky.  :eek:

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2017, 07:57:13 PM »
If it doesn't work, would you consider what I said way back,  ask for a new ISS transmitter unit.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2017, 08:55:24 PM »
Maybe we should stop speculating until the new anemometer hopefully fixes the problem.  But I'm wondering,

I took the station back down and checked the anemometer cable thoroughly; no nicks or indication of physical problems. I then did some basic testing. I plugged the anemometer into the rain sensor port and spun the anemometer; data registered as rain. But when I plugged the anemometer back into the wind port, I get nothing.

I also plugged other sensors into the wind port (such as the rain sensor, which is a simple momentary switch -- should work to masquerade as an anemometer). But I get nothing even when plugging any other sensor into the wind port.

is this diagram correct:?  It appears similar to my original VP.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
if so, it appears to me that plugging the wind sensor into the rain port and spinning the cups should do nothing, it shouldn't register as rain.  So maybe the anemometer is miswired and does in fact need replacement.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2017, 11:41:25 AM »
Maybe we should stop speculating until the new anemometer hopefully fixes the problem.  But I'm wondering,
is this diagram correct:?  It appears similar to my original VP.
if so, it appears to me that plugging the wind sensor into the rain port and spinning the cups should do nothing, it shouldn't register as rain.  So maybe the anemometer is miswired and does in fact need replacement.

Interesting question.  I obviously didn't consider that possibility.  Is there an "official" ISS connection diagram somewhere?

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2017, 11:49:29 AM »
I suspect that  there probably is some where the wiring diagram. 
Unless the wire was kinked and a broken wire, it should work.   If the test switch shows that the plug is active, then ask Davis to replace it free and send them back the broken one.
Fortunately when I got my VP1 way back, they included the test switch with it. They don't do that any more, but should.  Another blessing is that the wind sensor at the top of my mast has been there since 1993 and still works.  Nothing works that long,but right now things work.
I guess the luck of the draw.

Now should the new wind sensor not work, the ask for a new ISS (the transmitter and antenna) it is under warranty.   Ask Davis to send you the new one and on getting it you will send the broken.

OR fiddle with it for another year and when the warranty runs out, you can buy it.

Offline flainn

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2017, 12:33:40 PM »
If it doesn't work, would you consider what I said way back,  ask for a new ISS transmitter unit.

Sure, will do. I will probably have to call Scientific Sales, since I never heard a word back regarding my email. But maybe Davis would be willing to send me one; they gave me no hassle about a replacement anemometer.
--

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2017, 12:37:37 PM »

Interesting question.  I obviously didn't consider that possibility.  Is there an "official" ISS connection diagram somewhere?
I don't know.  I found that diagram here: [Site removed, until/if legitimacy can be verified.  Update: Diagram can be found here: http://www.sloweather.com/blog/2011/110912WMIIjbox.png]  It does say "Davis Instruments Corp" on the image, so maybe it's official?

I cropped it to show the difference between the sensor cables.

It might be handy if there was a place on the forum, like a sticky or something, with a list of known diagrams.  I think I've seen some scattered here and there throughout the forum.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:24:10 PM by SnowHiker »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2017, 12:41:23 PM »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2017, 01:03:12 PM »

Website showing as blocked as malicious by MWB.  :eek:
Thanks, I removed it from my post to be safe.  My browser and AV didn't throw any warnings, but I have a bunch of script blocking and stuff.

Here is what scamadviser says:
Although this website appears to be based in United States there are other countries involved and you should review this information carefully and decide if it is as you expect.This webite is very new , and as such doesn't have an online reputation yet. As with all new businesses , we suggest that you take care and if necessary get in contact with the owners before placing an order of value.
This site is using an anonymous service - which prevents us from identifying the site owner. This can sometimes be just so that the owner does not receive spam, but be aware that many scam sites use this as a method to hide their identify. If this is an ecommerce site - we would suggest you confirm the business address with the website owners.

BTW, it says below the diagram on that page:
Sloweather posted a copy of the junction box that davis used with the older style stations here is the link
I wonder if Sloweather has an idea of what the deal is with this website?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:07:21 PM by SnowHiker »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2017, 01:13:48 PM »

Not saying that it is definitely malicious but one is always a bit wary when a warning does pop up. That said, a domain name of money-cpm (presumably clicks per something) doesn't really invite confidence.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2017, 05:27:25 PM »

BTW, it says below the diagram on that page:
Sloweather posted a copy of the junction box that davis used with the older style stations here is the link

Not me. I posted that scan here somewhere, I think. It seems to me like that is a subscription site that harvests wiring diagrams from other sites and then charges a monthly fee for access.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2017, 06:25:23 PM »

Not me. I posted that scan here somewhere, I think. It seems to me like that is a subscription site that harvests wiring diagrams from other sites and then charges a monthly fee for access.
Thanks.  Sounds reasonable.  That helps explain why the link it attributed with your name was dead.

I suspect they don't pay any attention to whether what they post is in the public domain, proprietary info, accurate, complete, or to giving proper credit, which probably adds to their shadiness.

I wasn't asked for a fee or any information, but all I did was copy the image and didn't look at or download anything else.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2017, 07:19:44 PM »
Here we go, this is the diagram from a safe site.  (Well, assuming sloweather.com is safe anyway.  :-) )

http://www.sloweather.com/blog/2011/110912WMIIjbox.png

Offline flainn

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2017, 10:23:19 AM »
Got my replacement anemometer from Davis, tested it and it works fine, and everything is now up on the tower.
--

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2017, 10:26:26 AM »
Got my replacement anemometer from Davis, tested it and it works fine, and everything is now up on the tower.

Thanks for the report. 

anything