Author Topic: Getting setup with heavy weather, WUHU & Wunderground  (Read 18740 times)

Offline KWAYELM11

Getting setup with heavy weather, WUHU & Wunderground
« on: November 13, 2012, 02:50:03 PM »
New to the forum & weather.
Just got La Crosse heavy weather running for a week & have had no problems with reception or other issues(I've had a cold so don't have my anemometer mounted correctly, but it's up in the general area & reporting)

Win 7/x64,WUHU & have account at wunderground (KWAYELM11)

I did get wuhu running last night early this am & watched wunderground page temps etc coming in OK.
Like wise noted this in wuhu hovering over updates in lower left. So shutdown & went to bed. Good day even with a cold!

When I restarted my system this morning (wanted to make sure everything would work on reboot) I waited & watched all the data points to come off the weather station into heavy weather. When that finished I then looked at wuhu & no updates were going to wunderground. In setup there was no pws id or password??
Also if I make a mistake in typing my pws id or password how can I correct this??

I uninstalled wuhu, deleted it from start-up & reinstalled it. It's working OK now..... so can I turn my system off?? or will I need to reinstall wuhu each time I do restart??

Thanks & please be patient & step by step with any replies.
KWAYELM11

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
Re: Getting setup with heavy weather, WUHU & Wunderground
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 03:14:08 PM »
WUHU should remember everything. It should auto load and start sending data without you doing anything.

The ID and password should be saved and visable on the setup page.

be sure you click OK on the setup page and that you close WUHU before shutting down windows.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 03:23:37 PM »
The software author reads this forum, and I"m sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong (which I am a lot).

When WUHU is installed, it puts a shortcut into the startup folder.  When the computer is started (or restarted), WUHU should launch and (in my case) minimizes automatically.  If you have the information entered into the setup tab for WU, WUHU should remember it and start sending to WU.  I know all three of mine do.

In the WUHU folder there is an .ini file.  With WUHU closed (or not running), you can open that file and look through it.  As you scroll down through the file you should see your ID and Password and upload times and stuff.  It may look foreign at first, but if you look at it for a few minutes, you should be able to decipher it.

Remember that WU ID and Passwords are case sensitive.

Good luck!  :)

Oh, PS:  Welcome and enjoy your stay!  :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 03:26:43 PM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline KWAYELM11

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 03:44:25 PM »
WUHU should remember everything. It should auto load and start sending data without you doing anything.

The ID and password should be saved and visable on the setup page.

be sure you click OK on the setup page and that you close WUHU before shutting down windows.

beaudog...thanks I did in fact click ok & shut down wuhu before shutting down!

But the fact remains when I restarted the next time no uploads were happening??

Thanks KWAYELM11

Offline KWAYELM11

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 03:54:27 PM »
The software author reads this forum, and I"m sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong (which I am a lot).

When WUHU is installed, it puts a shortcut into the startup folder.  When the computer is started (or restarted), WUHU should launch and (in my case) minimizes automatically.  If you have the information entered into the setup tab for WU, WUHU should remember it and start sending to WU.  I know all three of mine do.

In the WUHU folder there is an .ini file.  With WUHU closed (or not running), you can open that file and look through it.  As you scroll down through the file you should see your ID and Password and upload times and stuff.  It may look foreign at first, but if you look at it for a few minutes, you should be able to decipher it.

Remember that WU ID and Passwords are case sensitive.

Slow modem...I hope not...my father in law still uses dial up?? ahhhh.... the sound of a dial out & hand shake!!!

I didn't mention this in my first post as I'm past that point but when I made the error inputting the correct pws id (why isn't there a way to change that on the gui??) I looked at the .ini file & edited out my mistaken/incorrect pws...saved the .ini & still couldn't get uploads to wu??

But as I say past that now. I will try a reboot & come back to the forum w/results...thanks again KWAYELM11

Good luck!  :)

Oh, PS:  Welcome and enjoy your stay!  :)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 03:56:42 PM »
I don't use heavy weather, but maybe it has to do with which program opens first?  Is the data showing up in WUHU when it opens, and it just isn't uploading?  Or is there data in WUHU when it is opened?

why isn't there a way to change that on the gui??)

open WUHU and click on setup button.  There should be a WU tab (and cwop tab and pws weather tab, etc.) where you can enter id and password.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 03:58:49 PM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline KWAYELM11

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 04:13:22 PM »
I don't use heavy weather, but maybe it has to do with which program opens first?  Is the data showing up in WUHU when it opens, and it just isn't uploading?  Or is there data in WUHU when it is opened?

why isn't there a way to change that on the gui??)

open WUHU and click on setup button.  There should be a WU tab (and cwop tab and pws weather tab, etc.) where you can enter id and password.

Slow modem....well I thought I did a quote & reply but only quote showed up.

Yes when you look at setup/wu tab the pws & password areas are there but grayed out??
Which is why I said there should be some place in/on the gui to change/correct your password if a mistake is made.
And when ever I started wuhu even if it didn't up load to wu it did populate with info from hw!

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 04:24:23 PM »
WUHU must be stopped for you to enter the data into the setup page. Be sure to click the stop button before trying to add your setup info. Then click the start button.

Offline KWAYELM11

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 04:37:15 PM »
WUHU must be stopped for you to enter the data into the setup page. Be sure to click the stop button before trying to add your setup info. Then click the start button.

beaudog....ah ha!! Just shutdown & rebooted & again no up loads due to no pws id & password.
But read your post first & stopped it then was able to enter pws id & password.

So for the software guy for wuhu....why doesn't my pws id & password remain after a reboot???

KWAYELM11

Offline KWAYELM11

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 04:56:12 PM »
My guess is that your firewall is preventing WUHU from writing to the INI file.

No I've checked the ini & it's got my correct pws id & password

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 05:00:40 PM »
Then I have to maybe agree with Slow Modem that you may be starting two interations of WUHU. You can do that and even send different data to different sites.

Are you sure it is not auto starting and then you are starting a second iteration.

What does the log file say when it starts up.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 05:13:56 PM »

[/quote]

No I've checked the ini & it's got my correct pws id & password

[/quote]

That causes me to wonder. PWS and WU are not setup on the same page and are different WX sites.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 05:19:40 PM »
Another thought.  Right click WUHU and run it as administrator enter the correct data and save.    Never know strange things happen in the world of windows.

Offline KWAYELM11

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 05:49:12 PM »
Another thought.  Right click WUHU and run it as administrator enter the correct data and save.    Never know strange things happen in the world of windows.

OH...I won't tell bill you said that...but VERY strange things happen in the world of windows!!

I'll start by taking it out of start up & after hw is up with data I'll then start it myself as admin.

Get back to you both probably tomorrow.
Thanks much Kelly.. KWAYELM11

anything