Author Topic: Ambient VWS and VVP  (Read 6428 times)

Offline thosj

Ambient VWS and VVP
« on: January 20, 2013, 02:41:45 PM »
I have installed StartWatch, VVP, VPLive, Cumulus, WeatherLink, and VWS (v14.01 P46 or something like that) on a new Win7 64 bit computer with the signed version of COM0COM. I have a Davis Weather Envoy reading wirelessly from a VP2 ISS. The Envoy has the latest Silicone Labs CP210x serial port driver installed and working, COM3 assigned. I have COM0COM setup and working fine with VVP, VPLive, Cumulus, and WeatherLink. I CANNOT, however, get VWS to connect with this setup. I have shut down all the other programs, inclucing VVP, and VWS will connect to COM3, the native serial port of the Envoy, and work fine. It won't connect thru VVP no matter what I try. I have posted in a thread in the VWS forum here and there is no apparent solution.

Any ideas?

In the other forum someone suggested connecting thru TCP/IP, but I'm unsure how to set that up. I tried several things, in VVP and VWS, as suggested in that forum, but couldn't get that to work either.

I'm not sure if I should be trying an older version of VWS, not sure if it's a VWS or VVP thing, or what. Seems like it is VVP as VWS connects and runs fine by itself.

Suggestions appreciated.

Update:

I uninstalled VWS, removed the install directory, reinstalled v14.01P49. Set communications to Davis Serial, port 7, the VVP port assigned to VWS. Restarted VWS, now VVP shows it's connected and communicating at a rate of less than every second, but VWS shows nothing happening. Not sure this is progress, but points more to VWS than VVP, maybe??

Tom
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:18:30 PM by thosj »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: Ambient VWS and VVP
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 09:15:21 PM »
I have a VP2 running on VVP without any problems at all. It is on an XP machine but that shouldn't make any difference as far as comms go.

In Virtual VP Settings:
My console Serial/USB Com Port is set to COM3 Baudrate: 19200 (make certain both the comm port and console have matching baudrates)
Virtual Console COM Port Setting for VWS is COM 7

In VWS Communication menu item:
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro/Pro2 (Serial Interface)
Serial Communication: Comm Port: 17 Baudrate: 19200

Be certain your values match between programs (VWS & VVP).

NOTE: Try running just VWS with VVP and no other programs to be sure you have the basic VWS setup correct. Then add the other software once you get VWS running.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:17:07 PM by W3DRM »
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline thosj

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 07:44:49 AM »
I have done ALL of that in every conceivable manner. The ONLY way VWS will run on this new Windows 7 64 bit computer is if it's connected to the COM3 port directly, no COM0COM/VVP in between.

I am somewhat experienced with getting all this to run as I've had all these software packages running on my Vantage Pro 2 on various versions of Windows for 6 years now. I currently have both a Vantage Pro 2 console and an Envoy, on different computers. One 32 bit Windows 7 working fine, this one with 64 bit Windows 7 NOT working. Cumulus, VPLive, and Weatherlink all connecting to the VVP COM ports and running 24/7, it's just VWS not running on the VVP COM port that I can't get working. Like I said, it appears in VVP that VWS is connected (green) and communication (values changing), but VWS is just sitting there doing nothing, not showing anything, but also no error messages.

I THINK I've had this working on 64 bit Windows previously one time in an emergancy when the 32 bit Windows machine chose to die, so I'm pretty perplexed that I can't get it working now.

Like I've said, I've tried various versions of VWS including the same version that's working on the 32 bit computer. I've run back and forth between the two computers, both of which are setup identically WRT COM0COM and VVP, versions the same, settings the same, all that.

Thanks for the reply, but still preplexed here.

OH, and I think you have your numbers transposed in your reply. You set COM0COM pairs, 7/17 for example, then VVP to 17 and VWS to 7. At least that's how my working machine is set. I think it's the ONLY way, I don't think you can reverse the numbers, but perhaps you can.

Offline thosj

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 10:48:18 AM »
Update.

I downloaded and installed the trial of Weather Display and it exhibits the same behavior as VWS. It works nativly with the Envoy COM 3, but will NOT work on COM0COM pairs with VVP running and VPLive/Cumulus/WeatherLink running.

It WILL work on any VVP com port, 6/7/8/9, ALONE. So now off to try other programs, one at a time, with VWS or WD, and see which one is conflicting.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 08:17:27 PM »
Win7 has some strange/stringent security hooks built-in. I'm wondering if it could be that? Have you tried running the software in "run as administrator" mode? Just a shot in the dark from this end.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 09:16:51 PM »
Did you put Win 7 in test mode?

Offline thosj

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 06:49:11 PM »
Did you put Win 7 in test mode?

I don't think I need test mode as I'm using Steve's version of COM0COM that doesn't require this. But.............that said, I'd be willing to try test mode. I have to go read how to put Windows in test mode.

Offline thosj

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 06:55:25 PM »
Win7 has some strange/stringent security hooks built-in. I'm wondering if it could be that? Have you tried running the software in "run as administrator" mode? Just a shot in the dark from this end.

I tried everything by running as administrator with no luck.

So to restate, I can run VWS alone on COM3, the Envoy's COM port, but I cannot run VWS with COM0COM/VVP virtual ports. I CAN run VPLIVE, Cumulus, and WeatherLink on this COM0COM/VVP setup.

I'm out of ideas and I'm just running VWS stand alone with no COM0COM/VVP. I have VWS doing my CWOP and WunderGround reporting, so I'm good. Not sure if this is a Win 7 64 issue, a VVP issue, a COM0COM issue, an Envoy USB logger issue, or what, but I've got a week or two into trying, I know that much. All this works perfectly on another PC )Win7 32) with a VP2 console hooked up serial with COM0COM/VVP and 4 software packages running including VWS!!

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 07:39:45 PM »
 I think you have to have an signed drive to run it on win 7 64 bit.  I can be wrong but read what the german company says on their page going to it from  softwx page.  They also offer free 32 bit but they had to license from MS for their 64 bit.

John

Offline thosj

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
I still beleive Steve Hatchett of Softwx, VVP author, has a signed version of COM0COM driver. I don't remember where I read that, or where I downloaded it, but all that aside, com0com MUST be working OK because it works with VVP, Cumulus, VPLive, and WeatherLink just fine, just NOT with VWS in any incarnation of VVP ports and any other trickery, running as administrator, etc. that I can think to try. I will try to find the info on running Windows driver test mode and maybe try that. As I've said, I have VWS working on the Envoy's COM3 port just fine and doing what I need done, so no urgency at the moment to get more than one weather program going. Just the ol' curiosity thing, gotta figure this out!!!

Here is quoted text from the readme1st.txt file included with the com0com signed drive I have. I can't seem to find this driver right now, so I don't know where I got it
Quoted----------------------------
1. This package contains com0com.sys and com0com.cat that were built and
   signed by Steven William Hatchett.

The driver was not been tested by Microsoft WHQL so possible you will get
Security Alerts while adding new port pairs.

Windows Server 2003

To suppress Security Alerts go to

My Computer->Properties->Hardware->Driver Signing

and choose Ignore option.

NOTE: Suppressing Security Alerts will impair computer security.

Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008/Windows 7

To suppress Security Alerts click

Always trust software from "Steven William Hatchett".

2. This package contains setupc.exe and setupg.exe marked as
   "require administrative access" so Turning off UAC is not required.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 08:07:25 PM by thosj »

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 08:42:21 AM »
In VWS, click 'communication', what do you have checked for station comms? Make sure you have the right station and comms clicked. Then go back to VVP (SoftWx) site and check what you have for the COM0COM set up. You may have to RE- d/l the driver....JUST a thought
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline thosj

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 09:28:24 AM »
In VWS, click 'communication', what do you have checked for station comms? Make sure you have the right station and comms clicked. Then go back to VVP (SoftWx) site and check what you have for the COM0COM set up. You may have to RE- d/l the driver....JUST a thought

You sort of lost me there. In VWS communication I have the Davis VP2 picked (there IS NO ENVOY to pick) and COMx, being one of the VVP ports, I've tried all 4 ports with ONLY VWS trying to run on VVP, restarting comms in VVP and restarting VWS every time, it simply doesn't work. Funny thing is, VVP shows VWS communicating, time elapsed in mere seconds ticking away constantly, but VWS just sits there showing nothing, not even a communication error. If I shut down VVP, start VWS, set it to com3, shut it down and restart it (VWS) on the Envoy com port, it connects and runs just fine.

Where you lost me is visiting the SoftWX site and re-downloading the driver. What driver, com0com? Why? It's working, and does work running VPLive, Cumulus, and WeatherLink on com0com setup the way it is. I have com0com setup with pairs as shown everywhere on SoftWX and elsewhere, 6/16, 7/17, 8/18, and 9/19. As I've said time and time again, everything BUT VWS works just fine in this setup.

I HAVE NOT set Windows 7 Pro 64 bit to driver test mode as I'm using the signed driver from Steve AND, everything works EXCEPT VWS. Of course, VWS is the one I WANT TO WORK and I have it working by itself connecting straight to the Envoy com port. At this point it's a matter of "darn it, this HAS to work." All this software, same versions, are working on another computer, albeit Win 7 32 bit and connected to a VP2 console with serial logger where the other, not working one, is Win 7 64 bit and connecting to an Envoy with a USB logger. To my small brain, this has to be an issue with either Win 7 64 or the Envoy, but perhaps VVP could fix it but isn't, or VWS could fix it by making the Envoy a selection if the communication with an Envoy with USB logger is somehow different.

One thing that occurs to me, do I need to run the non-signed newer version of com0com and put Windows 7 64 in driver test mode in order for this to work? Does Steve (SoftWX) ever show up here or is he doing support somewhere else? He probably knows the answer to this.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:32:21 AM by thosj »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 12:33:53 PM »
I have not run VVP for a long time as it was just unstable with WL (Cumulus ran just fine and I don't use VWS), but I did have it running for a time on Windows 7-64bit after Steve had suggested to run in test mode.

Paul

Offline thosj

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 12:47:04 PM »
Paul, I see in your sig you're running WL and Cumulus. How are you doing that without VVP?

Tom

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 01:02:56 PM »

One thing that occurs to me, do I need to run the non-signed newer version of com0com and put Windows 7 64 in driver test mode in order for this to work? Does Steve (SoftWX) ever show up here or is he doing support somewhere else? He probably knows the answer to this.

Steve is not able to provide support at this time Go read this http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=15404.0

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 01:17:47 PM »
I stop Cumulus on the 15th and 30th of every month and run WL just to keep up with the WL data, and run it long enough to update my WL page. 

Paul

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
Also found this in the com o com read file.   It might be worth trying

A. Your application can hang because receive buffer overrun is disabled by
   default. You can fix the problem by enabling receive buffer overrun for the
   receiving port. Also, to prevent some flow control issues you need to enable
   baud rate emulation for the sending port. So, if your application use port CNCA0
   and other paired port is CNCB0, then:

1. Launch the Setup Command Prompt shortcut.
   2. Enter the change commands, for example:

command> change CNCB0 EmuOverrun=yes
      command> change CNCA0 EmuBR=yes

Q. When the corresponding port of a pair is not open, some characters will remain
   in the ouput buffer of the sending port and be output upon the next connection.
   Any clue on a possible workaround?
A. It's a correct behavior if receive buffer overrun is disabled (by default). If
   you need behavior where those characters should be lost (like real null modem do)
   then enable receive buffer overrun for the receiving port. Also, to prevent some
   flow control issues enable baud rate emulation for the sending port. So, if
   sending port is CNCA0 and receiving port is CNCB0, then:

1. Launch the Setup Command Prompt shortcut.
   2. Enter the change commands, for example:

command> change CNCB0 EmuOverrun=yes
      command> change CNCA0 EmuBR=yes

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 03:46:18 AM »
Tom, have you resolved this issue? I am just now experiencing the same problem with VWS and WUHU not working with a virtual COM, but they both will work directly using the console COM on an XP 32 bit machine.

Cumulus, WeatherLink and VPLive have no problem communicating using a virtual port.

This just began happening to me after a Davis firmware update was applied to the console, although I doubt that had anything to do with it, it is coincidental.
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 03:57:42 AM »
see my reply to your other post
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline thosj

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 08:09:09 AM »
Tom, have you resolved this issue? I am just now experiencing the same problem with VWS and WUHU not working with a virtual COM, but they both will work directly using the console COM on an XP 32 bit machine.

Cumulus, WeatherLink and VPLive have no problem communicating using a virtual port.

This just began happening to me after a Davis firmware update was applied to the console, although I doubt that had anything to do with it, it is coincidental.

No, I was not able to solve this. VWS only runs by itself without VVP. It simply won't run with VVP, on a VVP port, using com0com to virtualize. VVP actually shows green like VWS is running, but VWS isn't receiving data from the station. Actually, I'm not sure what the problem was, it could have been the Envoy because I had VWS/Cumulus/VPLive/WeatherLink all running in the same environment albeit with a USB serial adapter to a Vantage Pro 2 and that worked fine. It was the Envoy on a different computer that gave me the problem. I've given up and have installed the Envoy on my Windows Server 2012 Essentials box and running VPLive alone, having IT do both CWOP and Wunderground and the Vantage Pro 2 on another computer running just VWS for data collection and display.

There was a reply below yours that referenced "see my reply to your other post". Maybe that's the answer, but not a solution unless VVP is updated and that's unlikely to happen I guess. As it stands, I'm done with VVP, it was a long fruitful relationship, but I guess it's over. And I didn't update the firmware on my VP2, so I guess I could still do VVP and VWS along with the others on that computer, or any computer long as I don't upgrade the firmware on the VP2. The Envoy likely has that "feature" already in it's firmware seeing as it's new!!

Tom
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:17:05 AM by thosj »

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 08:17:14 AM »
Quote from: thosj

What other post?
Tom

I have another topic post up seeking an answer, that Brian replied to.
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline thosj

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 08:18:22 AM »
Quote from: thosj

What other post?
Tom

I have another topic post up seeking an answer, that Brian replied to.

Oops. Cross posted, see my reply above.

Offline thosj

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 01:12:42 PM »
Reading this thread, http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=18393.0  I can pretty much confirm.

I now have the PC mentioned in the original post, which WAS connected to a Davis Envoy which did NOT work with VVP and VWS, now connected to my VP2 console but with old 2008 firmware called Firmware 12/30/2008 Rev. B and my whole setup, com0com, VVP, VPLive, VWS, and Cumulus works fine. So I guess it IS VWS and the new firmware, which the firmware in the Envoy must emulate, which caused my issue.

Just posting for anyone finding this in a search later.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 01:14:17 PM by thosj »

anything