Weather Station Hardware > Rainwise Weather Stations

Removing cotter pin on RainWise stand alone rain gauge

(1/2) > >>

floodcaster:
Last August I installed the RainWise tipping bucket to replace my VP2+ tipping bucket. The other day after a very heavy downpour, the RW tipping bucket was clogged and draining slowly. The next day I took it off and removed the clog. It was a little more involved than taking off the Davis rain gauge. I was thinking of leaving the cotter pin out to facilitate an easier removal for cleaning. The debris screen fits in the gauge rather snug and requires a little effort to remove without the cotter pin. Was wondering if anyone out there has opted to leave the cotter pin out?

DaleReid:
I've not had to take the cotter pin out again (once out a few times, they stay out) since I started using a little stainless steel screen looking a little bit like a sombrero.  I got one with several sizes to chose from, from my local DIY Menards (sort of like Lowes, etc) and it stays in place, filters out the big stuff like maple helicopters, oak droopies, and all the normal stuff.  The fine dust and other dirt still is there but that is far less.  And the cotter pin being gone, I'm hoping the channel directing the water to the buckets is more open and what may be getting through is going right on through, not being netted and held up by the cotter pin.

In the years since one of the members here told about it, I've had very quick (and much easier cleaning ) of my buckets.

If you don't know what I'm describing, I'll take a pic later.   Dale

floodcaster:

--- Quote from: DaleReid on June 22, 2018, 12:07:27 PM ---

If you don't know what I'm describing, I'll take a pic later.   Dale

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the quick reply Dale. A pic would help but no hurry. We have a Menards not far from me.

Bill

DaleReid:
It says it is a Danco 2 1/2" stainless screen.  There were about three sizes to choose from, at least the time I got mine.

I will get a picture this afternoon if I can get away from some other work.

There are some more widely flanged and while I was worried that it would not let all the rain into the buckets, I think that the 'seal' obtained by the flange sitting on the plastic collection funnel is not so good that the water just runs in under it anyway. 

I've not had a problem but do clean it after the trees are done polinating and again after the leaves fall in the fall.

floodcaster:
Thanks much Dale. Just checked online and my local Menards has it. Appreciate the help.

Bill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version