Author Topic: Not exactly weather but....  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Not exactly weather but....
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 10:53:58 AM »
As more and more people have cams in their cars you see similar videos every day...

just saw this one yesterday... it is so scary....

just to give you some background info - what you see is footage from front and rear camera of a vehicle standing in a traffic jam. What happened is this - there is one more car standing in front of it and then a truck. Suddenly, the driver quickly pulls to the left, just like the car in front of him. At that moment another truck which obviously didnt see the traffic jam smashes into the truck that was in front of them... this is absolutely unbelievable how fast reaction both those car drivers showed... people often dont pay attention when they just stand in a traffic jam. Just play it several times and you will see... he sees the truck in his rear mirror and immediately pulls to the left. The driver in front of him manages to do so as well.

And what the result of this crash was? Both those personal cars were absolutely ok, the truck driver from the one that crashed from the back is dead... so obviously if those two cars didnt pull away....

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/embed/NvMdTyd9HP0[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/embed/QQfZNX5zoL0[/youtube]

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 11:03:55 AM »
what I am afraid of is that with some of the newer models having sensors in the door panels as well as backup cameras, younger folks are going to get the feeling that they don't have to think to drive.  we still have to look around the car, not relying on sensors.    then we do have idiots who do just barrel on to the roadway and assume that everyone else is going to kiss their hiney and move over.

when we were driving this summer, we saw a lot of that crap.  Some states had long entry ramps so we could see them coming and some had very short with no wiggle room to avoid.

we have to drive defensive.   When I was teaching, the math dept felt that the juniors and seniors who still couldn't do simple math skills, could use a calculator to speed up things.   i had to constantly teach basic math skills. the introduction was to give them a problem to work on their calculators.  Then go around the room and ask for the answer.  Often I had many wrong answers. that lead to the discussion and enlightenment that one has to know what keys to press, and press the right keys.  Just because the LCD  screen had the answer, it wasn't the correct one.

Same goes for these cars, just because the electronics say things are this and that,  they might be wrong.     

the other observation is that these bad drivers are  just bad drivers and hopefully we don't see those arrogant assholes again.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 11:27:43 AM »
yes, but even if paying attention, the reaction of those guys above is almost unbelievable, especially if you consider you are standing in a traffic jam, which is when people dont pay that much attention - you are standing still...

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 12:34:45 PM »
What's worse is being on a bike. I have been taking the backroads alot staying off the interstate when I can and when in town stay off of major streets. My Harley is loud (straight pipes) but not to impress....to help save my life because they will hear me coming before seeing me (I hope).