Author Topic: New Member with Lightning Detection Question  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Redshift48

• Redshift Observatory
New Member with Lightning Detection Question
« on: August 13, 2016, 03:46:55 PM »
Hello,
I have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather station.  I have a computer with 24-7 internet running and I upload my weather data to Wunderground and, to some extent, to my own web site.  I am now thinking seriously about adding a good lightning detector and would love to get some recommendations.  My 24-7 computer is too small for a PCI card so I am looking at something like the Boltek LD-250 or LD-350 and would like some advice.  I am also wondering about software - for instance, Lightning/2000, or NexStorm, or the included lite version?  Thanks.
Robert
www.redshift48.com
Vantage Pro 2 with Solar Radiation Module
Boltek LD-350 and NexStorm
Wunderground Station ID KNMMAYHI6
Madis ID E0601

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
Re: New Member with Lightning Detection Question
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 07:26:41 AM »
Greetings Robert!  If you are thinking specifically about the Boltek type devices I can't offer much in the way of help, but you might wander over to lightningmaps.org and look at the data that comes from the Blitzortung network.  If you like what you see there and think you might like to contribute you can go to the Blitzortung website and check out the info on their new System Blue detectors.  These detectors are all connected to the Blitzortung network and provide worldwide lightning detection.   As a contributor you would have access to the data and could set up a webpage that would pull data for your local area and allow you to display it on your observatory website.  Hopefully this will give you an idea of a possible option for what you want to do.  In fact there used to be a BO station up at the solar observatory at Sunspot that went offline some time ago so if you did join it would fill in that spot quite nicely.

As an aside I grew up over in New Mexico and know your area pretty well, my family used to hold their reunions up on the Rio Penasco near Elk and I always enjoyed going particularly for the wonderful night skies! 
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 08:36:47 AM »
In addition to corwyyn's recommendations, check this area at WxForum: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=115.0

A lot of us here on WxForum can help you with build and troubleshooting advice. Some of it is even good.   :lol:

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline eliteweathernz

• Weather Enthusiast/ Weather Equipment Support
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 04:17:01 AM »
Hi mate,

I am a Boltek Distributor in New Zealand and would be happy to answer any questions you have???

The LD-250 is the entry level long range Detector Boltek offers then moves upto he LD-350 and the more recent LRX-1 which is a Networkable long range Detector.