Author Topic: at&t dsl?  (Read 5914 times)

Offline n9mfk9

• Contributor
at&t dsl?
« on: October 04, 2010, 05:13:55 PM »
hi all,
is any one here using at&t dsl to upload weather data?
thanks beau

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: at&t dsl?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 05:27:11 PM »
hi all,
thanks beau

I dream of moving up to DSL some day...............
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline wd40

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 06:09:53 PM »
I do.  No problems.

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 07:04:39 PM »
I have been using it for 5 years with no problems.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 07:15:21 PM »
Got rid of it here (when it was Bellsouth), can't speak for them now. They kept resetting the DSL modem almost once a day. Got fed up and went with Comcast. No issues at all now

Offline BigD

• Weather Watcher in Training
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 07:41:02 PM »
I have used them for about a year, with no problems other than the uploads speed on the lower priced plans is a bit low (720K) per DSL speed reports.

When I had a NAS torrent box, Weatherlink and Weather display, and VPlive & WebCam uploads going I was able to overload it's upload capacity, otherwise no problems with just weather station uploads alone.

BigD

Vantage Pro2 Wireless
StartWatch - Virtual VP - VPlive - WeatherLink - Weather Display

Offline n9mfk9

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 08:01:21 PM »
I was told by a friend at&t does not like a lot of ftp up loads
how often do you upload?

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 08:28:31 PM »
Yes. No problems with them. I use about 2% of my entire upload bandwidth of 768 doing FTP and other uploads to my website.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 09:02:35 PM »
I was told by a friend at&t does not like a lot of ftp up loads
how often do you upload?

Using Weather Display, I upload every 10 minutes.  Never had any complaints.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 11:53:43 PM »
hi all,
thanks beau

Yes, been using the AT&T HSI Pro package for 4 years now.  I stream NOAA radio to Weather Underground along with rapidfire data to them.  Also upload via .php to my website every 5 seconds, plus numerous other images including a webcam and other files every 5-15 minutes.  They have been pretty stable with few modem resets over the years.  When they upgraded the neighborhood to be U-Verse capable I noted some instability but now that the work is done all is back to normal.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 08:16:27 AM »
I don't know why they kept resetting mine. I knew they were resetting me because I kept getting a different IP address all the time. I finally got fed up and gave up. I've never regretted my move to Comcast. Super speeds and super stable for me.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 11:47:18 AM »
I guess I jinxed myself!  I spoke so glowingly about Comcast always working... and now it's been up and down since yesterday. They finally got it fixed yesterday after I got home but about 11 today it went down again. I called them up and yes, they're having technical difficulties and are working on the problem. On top of that, I'm getting pingdom messages that my site is up and down but I think that's more of an internet connection issue than the site itself, made a ticket on that one too.

Geez, it's ALWAYS something.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 09:54:05 PM »
That'll play heck with your "VWS stops sending the WeatherFlash data stream" issue.   ;-)
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 10:04:58 PM »
Yes it will.  :grin: What kept messing with me was the fact that it would work for a while, then quit, make an update and then quit again. It was very erratic. Couple that with the fact that VWS would quit updating the files when the transmissions would stop made me think it was VWS. Live and learn I guess. Comcast has apparently been working and making some network changes during the day which has really been screwing me up.

But I did switch over to Fling to do those uploads now and everything seems to be more stable. Finally! Got rid of a few more ftp file uploads from VWS and that has to help make it even more stable.

All is good!  :grin:

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 06:24:14 AM »
But I did switch over to Fling to do those uploads now and everything seems to be more stable. Finally! Got rid of a few more ftp file uploads from VWS and that has to help make it even more stable.

That is always my advice, when encountering any issue in VWS.  VWS Ftp functions just plain make the program and it's output unstable for the majority of folks.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 06:26:51 AM by sam2004gp »
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 06:37:54 AM »
Yep, I think I'm going to move everything over to Fling. I think I asked this somewhere else (my old mind forgets) but can I specify that WD places the testtags file in a different location? I don't want to upload the entire folder that it's currently in.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 07:23:54 AM »
Forgot to check this last night.  Pretty sure the answer is yes, but cant verify as I am at work.  I know you can plunk clientraw somewhere else, pretty sure the custom templates can do the same.

Andrew

Yep, I think I'm going to move everything over to Fling. I think I asked this somewhere else (my old mind forgets) but can I specify that WD places the testtags file in a different location? I don't want to upload the entire folder that it's currently in.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 08:12:03 AM »
I had to change all my ftp passwords last night and I took a quick glance while I was in there. I saw the clientraw file but didn't see the testtags settings.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 10:09:10 AM »
Hmmm, maybe it can, I was thinking it was just at the folder level but if someone that uses it knows, please let me know!
I moved the wflash files to a different folder just for them and it simply scans the folder for changes and when it see it, uploads the files. Love it!

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 10:56:55 AM »
I wondered that too... I cant see a way. I tried at one point...... But its hard to knock a free piece of software for that.  Strangely you can tell it to ignore a bunch of wildcarded file names and types.  So it has ignore, but not include logic.

Steve
Here is what I did to get around the issue.  You can try this if its determine you cant pick a special path in WD just for testtags.  I did this for my brultech data file before the tenware author modified his software at my request.  Originally his software dumped the one record csv into a window temp folder, so I could not fling it due to the hundreds/thousands of windows files that might be updated at any time.  So I created a batch file (eventually a vbs file) and put it on my scheduler.  I have this file copy the one I wanted from the temp directory to one I created, then setup the fling on that folder.

Andrew

Why can't fling do anything at the file, rather than folder, level?

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 11:41:26 AM »
Man, have  I got the thing for you! Years ago I had a developer that was working for us to create a little app that would do just that. Just unzip this, it's a small exe file. You put the folder to look in and the file (wildcards should work) and the destination folder. You specifiy how often it should check. That's it! You can have it load from the startup folder or however you want to load it. It remembers the settings.

I totally forgot about that until you mentioned it. Thanks for reminding me! Let me know how it goes if any of you decide to use it.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 12:51:45 PM »
The one thing that I REALLY like about Fling so far is that after my site was down for 4 hours or so today, once it came back up, Fling continued on. VWS would have blown up and never would have re-connected.

I like Fling today!

Offline linuxfreak

• Hamilton Central Mountain Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • Wink, wink!
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 12:55:32 PM »
Steve, did you just "tell" VWS to use Fling instead of its built in FTP engine??

George
George
Davis VP2/FARS, VVP, WD, WL, WSWin, Cumulus, NexStorm, StrikeStar, NSLog, XPort(GPS), WASP2, DigitalAtmosphere, ScannerCast(WUradio), Intel Atom N330 dual-core, 2Gig ram, Windows XP Home SP3  #-o
CWOP - DW3112, PWS & WU - IONHAMIL2, AWEKAS - 5112, COWN, WML - WD01901

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 01:04:05 PM »
No, there are two check boxes in the WeatherFlash (I hope this doesn't get this started again  :roll:) setup in VWS. One check box activates the process of creating the files, the other one activates sending it to the server. I just unchecked the server box. It still creates the files and Fling takes over from there.

Offline linuxfreak

• Senior Contributor
  • Wink, wink!
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 01:22:27 PM »
Steve, reason I asked was that WD allows you to use an external FTP engine to replace the built in one, but looking over the docs now, the only place I would use it is already done via NSLog (Nexstorm screen cap, WASP2 screen cap). :-k

I'll probably find a use for it some time soon.  ;)

George
George
Davis VP2/FARS, VVP, WD, WL, WSWin, Cumulus, NexStorm, StrikeStar, NSLog, XPort(GPS), WASP2, DigitalAtmosphere, ScannerCast(WUradio), Intel Atom N330 dual-core, 2Gig ram, Windows XP Home SP3  #-o
CWOP - DW3112, PWS & WU - IONHAMIL2, AWEKAS - 5112, COWN, WML - WD01901

anything