Author Topic: Privacy Policy Popup  (Read 1553 times)

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
  • Acurite 01035, Weather Display
    • Chris Collins Morehead City, NC Weather
Privacy Policy Popup
« on: May 17, 2018, 04:59:17 PM »
Is anyone else getting this annoying Weather Underground Privacy Policy popup on their Weather Underground dashboard? I use it on the front of my website and it pops up several times a day, stating that the Privacy Policy is changing May 25. I would like to get rid of it somehow.

Thanks,
Chris
moreheadcityweather.com

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Re: Privacy Policy Popup
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 05:02:46 PM »
send them more data and money

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 05:06:31 PM »
probably related to the GDPR going live in the EU on the 25th may
(to do with the storage of the private information of people)

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 05:06:11 PM »
probably related to the GDPR going live in the EU on the 25th may
(to do with the storage of the private information of people)

Like the OP I have been getting various privacy advisory popups for a while.
Today I got an extensive 'permissions/privacy' popup, with several "opt-in/opt-out" choices, etc.
Since I use a VPN (built into my favored Opera browser) and it shifts my IP location around the world, I assume that today I'm 'located' in Europe and got the full website disclosure. I selected some of them and submitted it.
It would be nice if our own political 'leadership' would ensure our own Net Neutrality, some ISP and telecomm regulation, and extensive privacy protections as the Euros seem to be doing.
Some of the stuff going on could set your hair afire, check out the Electronic Frontier Foundation ( eff.org ) for some info on the issues (they've been around a long time, and have lots of info on how to protect yourself online and on the ol' smartphone).

Back on WU, now a couple other functions seem to have gone wonky, like updating the "View" section. I wish that WU would quit jacking with the good working stuff.
I have one thing that used to work but doesn't anymore: I used to like to set up the "View" to show 6-8 days of graphing, with the last day(s) as the next calendar day or two. That way you get a nice graph of a week, and it automatically slides into the next day, minimizing your needing to update it.
Now if you specify the last day of the range as beyond today it comes back with a stupid 'calendar error' message, so your last day entry has to be limited to "today".

Not only that, the current day (today) always stops graphing about 1500h in the afternoon, updates/refreshes have no effect. Then you have no afternoon and evening day's graph until after a post midnight refresh.

These idiotic changes were made in the last year or so, you really have to wonder if WU swapped out their reasonably skilled IT/web design crew for a bunch of clueless scriptkiddies.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 05:30:51 PM »
I like how under "Required Technologies" - those core to WU functioning and with no opt out, is amongst others "Crazimals - Photos and video of animals."

I just knew a visit to WU wasn't complete with a crazy animal video!
Mark

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 12:01:53 AM »
These idiotic changes were made in the last year or so, you really have to wonder if WU swapped out their reasonably skilled IT/web design crew for a bunch of clueless scriptkiddies.
The reasonably skilled IT/web design crew left well over a year ago.  The website changes rolled in right before Irma hit Florida are the result.

anything