Author Topic: serial to usb adaptor for weatherlink 7862 serial datalogger?  (Read 1690 times)

Offline superdudegta

• MT WX Watcher
serial to usb adaptor for weatherlink 7862 serial datalogger?
« on: September 23, 2013, 03:20:16 PM »
Hey does anyone know of any serial to usb adaptor that works with the weatherlink 7862 datalogger serial version? I am currently running my my WM II station with a Dell 2400 Dimension desktop pc using XP Pro, however because my computer is close to 10 years old, its starting to get worn out and I know that its days are numbered . I have a much newer HP laptop with Windows 7 that only has usb ports that I want to use once my desktop pc dies. I have been reading a bunch of posts related to this but I am wondering about some of the issues running weatherlink on a laptop. I would really appreciate it if you guys can point me in the right direction then I would greatly appreciate it thanks!

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
Re: serial to usb adaptor for weatherlink 7862 serial datalogger?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 04:10:11 PM »
Been running WeatherLink on my laptop for 5 years with no problems and also a second W/L for about 2 years for my WMII. I got an adapter from Amazon ( FTDI chipset ) for $15(?). Again, no problems.   edit www.coolgear.com     that's the brand name, 12" long, and I can't find the receipt for it???
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 04:15:37 PM by moehoward4 »
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 04:22:26 PM »
Suggest you go to a local Best Buy or similar store and buy a good quality serial-USB adapter.  Don't go super-cheap.  Going to a local store, you can return it if it doesn't work.

Offline superdudegta

• MT WX Watcher
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 04:31:24 PM »
I am looking online at staples.com and see a few adapters that should work. So are there any certain requirements that the adapters need to have in order to work with my station? Because there are several differences in some I have been looking at.

Offline superdudegta

• MT WX Watcher
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 07:20:11 PM »
I bought a good one at Office Depot for $26 bucks. Its an Ativa usb to serial cable. It took maybe 10 minutes to set up on my laptop and now it works awesome with weatherlink!! however I might add that if any of you buy one, it would be a good idea to use electrical tape to make sure the connectors are secure because the adapter doesn't have the 2 little nuts on the sides to screw to the WLink serial connector so it could easily get loose if it gets bump or something. Thanks for all the advice everyone!!

anything