Author Topic: Outdoor Data Vanishes from my Vantage Vue Console's  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Midnight Star 1

• Midnight Star 1 Station At Rumsey Island Joppa, MD
  • Senior Contributor
    • Midnight Star 1 At RUMSEY ISLAND JOPPA, MD RUMSEY ISLAND JOPPA, MD Local Weather Conditions
Outdoor Data Vanishes from my Vantage Vue Console's
« on: September 24, 2013, 05:43:01 PM »
I woke up at around 5:00am this morning to find that dash marks filled the areas where outdoor data should be on my Vantage Vue Console. I did the reset by hitting the 2nd button & then "Done". I toggled to "Receive From" hoping to see it say "Receiving from 1" but nothing. Tried several times but still nothing. I then went to my other console that has my data logger on it for WeatherlinkIp. It too was not displaying outdoor data. Tried to reset it as well. I replaced the ISS battery about 2-2 1/2 months ago. It should be good. I did not receive any "Low Battery Transmitter 1" message either. After the sun came up all of the sudden all data appeared & everything was working again. I am guessing I either have a faulty battery or a capacitor going out. Any other ideas welcome  :-)
STEVEN B. SADLER
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 Wireless, ISS Pole Mount Back Yard
KMDJOPPA3 Wunderground, WeatherLinkIP, DW3776 CWOP
DAVIS WEATHERLINK

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Re: Outdoor Data Vanishes from my Vantage Vue Console's
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 08:56:15 PM »
Might be a faulty super capacitor. This seems to be a common problem. Although the last I heard this problem's been fixed unless you have an older station. The super capacitor supplies power during the day with the battery as a 3 source. If the super capacitor goes bad then the battery kicks in. I remember someone telling me a while back if the battery even a relatively new one is charged and depleted day after day it's ability to hold a charge diminishes.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 08:59:57 PM by Skywatch »
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 12:05:47 AM »
I remember someone telling me a while back if the battery even a relatively new one is charged and depleted day after day it's ability to hold a charge diminishes.

The battery in a Vue (or a VP2) is not charged by the solar panel.

Midnight Star, how old is your Vue?  Is it possible that the solar panel is dirty?  Or in the shade part of the day?

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:32:55 AM by dalecoy »

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 12:11:28 AM »
I had this happen to me as well. I never received the low battery message either. I put in a new battery and mine was fixed. The battery that you put in 2 1/2 months ago might have been bad?

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

anything