Author Topic: Wireless Anemometer with Wind Vane  (Read 1462 times)

Offline arnie

Wireless Anemometer with Wind Vane
« on: February 25, 2017, 05:31:36 PM »
I am looking for a wireless anemometer with a wind vane. All i can find are complete weather stations. Do they make such a thing, but at a reasonable price? :???:
Any help or web sites will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Billyram

• The Rapids
Re: Wireless Anemometer with Wind Vane
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 08:50:53 PM »

Welcome arnie,
Davis has their Anemometer/Sensor transmitter kit "6332" that will work with their "6410" anemometer. I don't know what reasonable is to you?
Billy
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:52:33 PM by Billyram »

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 08:56:30 PM »
The difficulty is the "at a reasonable price". A lot more people are interested in the weather in general than are just interested in wind speed and direction, so you don't see economies of scale in designing and building instruments which just measure the latter. The cheapest reasonable quality option for a technically adept person might be to buy a replacement Davis anemometer and put together the electronics to interface it with (e.g.) a Raspberry Pi. I don't think that there is anything available 'off the shelf' for less than the cost of a complete weather station with comparable wind accuracy. You can always just ignore the unwanted information!
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 12:20:07 AM »
What he said.  As an example:  http://www.inspeed.com/wind_data_logging/Windworks.asp  but not wireless and always on.  An Acurite total weather system can be bought for less.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 12:43:33 AM »
I am looking for a wireless anemometer with a wind vane. All i can find are complete weather stations. Do they make such a thing, but at a reasonable price? :???:
Any help or web sites will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

There are some of these instruments available (both wireless and wired) which are targeted at a segment of the marine market. They are mainly designed for sailors (sailboats), and the best for an even smaller group, that of racing yachts.
But it's unlikely these anemometers will meet your criteria of a "a reasonable price", most of them are hellaciously expensive, from ~$1000-10,000+.
Some are 'standalone' devices and can also be integrated into the vendors navigation/boat mgmt systems, others must be part of a complete system ($20,000-100,000+).
They also are primarily direction referenced to the centerline of the boat, not a True or Magnetic compass point, with many derived parameters calculated (using GPS, etc) for sailing functions (apparent wind, course made good, etc.) of little use to a non-sailing use. 
The major vendors are companies like Raymarine, B&G, Simrad, Furuno, etc., even Davis. Airmar both makes many of the sensors, and also supplies some of the others.
Even used ones on Ebay or sailing pubs are pretty darned expensive, if they weren't I'd have one.

However, a few years ago a startup company began selling a fairly reasonably priced wireless marine anemometer/vane device (~$4-600, IIRC), the wireless using a Bluetooth v.4 connection to a smartphone app (and/or a small display, IIRC). I liked it enough to put it on my 'wish list'. At the time, the 'new' Bluetooth v.4 connection would have required a new smartphone too, so more $$.
I don't know whether this product is still available, or even if the company still exists, a Bing search might find it, or others, for you. Perhaps prices have come down too.

anything