Author Topic: Is the Rodent Right ? - Re: GroundHog Day  (Read 5463 times)

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Is the Rodent Right ? - Re: GroundHog Day
« on: February 02, 2012, 11:19:29 AM »
Happy GroundHog Day ! You know there are other ways to predict the way winter will go....

Wooly Worms - If the caterpillar has two black rings, one at each end, then it is said the winter will be harsh in the beginning and at the end, but the middle of winter will be mild.             Did I just step on something ?

Walnuts - The thickness of a walnut shell can reveal all about winter. Thin walnut shells mean a light winter, while thick shells mean a heavy one.                                                       MFmfMmm...Anyone want a cookie ?

Goose Breastbone - The length of the breastbone indicates the length of the ensuing winter, while the color of the breastbone indicates its severity. Plain white indicates a mild winter and the more mottled the breastbone the more severe the winter to come.
                                                             Hey could you pass me the cranberry sauce ?

Badgers - When badgers are fat in October, expect a hard winter.
                                                             Uh, does anyone have lots of gauze and bandaids ?

Bears - If bears get thick coats early, then expect a severe winter.
                                                             Could you get me more of those bandaids ...quickly...and an aspirin?

Moss - Observe the moss growing on any nearby tree: the more moss on the south side of the tree the harder the coming winter.
                                                            Was that a rolling stone I heard ?

Groundhogs - If you see a groundhog’s shadow at noon on the 2nd of February (Groundhog Day), then the weather will be cold and wintry for another six weeks.
                                                            I don't know about you but that Kabob was pretty tasty....what kind of animal was it again ?

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Is the Rodent Right ? - Re: GroundHog Day
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 02:56:09 PM »
Furthermore, from the "For What It's Worth" Department, on the solstices, you can stand an egg on it's side.  :D

Not particularly weather related, but it is seasonal.   =D>
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 05:24:32 PM »
Everyone should forget about that darn rodent. I'm predicting that winter will last until March 20, 2012.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 06:26:08 AM »
Thanks for sharing! I find folklore really interesting and I certainly havent heard of any of those ways for determining winter! Awesome article! 8-)
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

anything